Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica  (Read 17719 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2018, 01:59:39 am »

I just tried to play this on my phone and the UI is a mess. I'm not sure if it wasn't designed to accommodate phones or if it just wasn't designed well generally.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2018, 02:52:30 am »

Dennis, are you Zunlo? The nation hexes are showing now. Your the only new nation on the West I see since there was only one guy there yesterday.

I am Styx, which is just a tad to the northwest of Zunlo (west coast of Africa)

Also I see everyone talking about militaries and research and all that...but every stat of everyone is pretty much 0 or the worst in every way it can be. I would recommend funding infastructure, agriculture, and all the basics first so you can have a functional economy to support that stuff...

That being said I am pumping out a tiny military (10 units) and seeing what I can do with it and where I can go from there...

The whole world is pretty much in the stone age now
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:57:13 am by dennislp3 »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:08 am »

At least it is beta, hoping the devs learn from it. 
Starting everything from absolute zero and massive debt is a whole different beast from a functional game where the cogs of capitalism and free trade are already working.  Plus, the lack of documentation for a better general idea of what things do.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2018, 03:32:17 am »

At least it is beta, hoping the devs learn from it. 
Starting everything from absolute zero and massive debt is a whole different beast from a functional game where the cogs of capitalism and free trade are already working.  Plus, the lack of documentation for a better general idea of what things do.

To be honest, I wouldn't even call this a beta. Looks more like an early alpha to me. As excited as I was when I first read about this game, my enthusiasm has flared off pretty quickly. Right now, the whole 'game' is an exercise in randomly putting arbitrary numbers into uninformative tables, hoping it will have any discernable effect - and if it has an effect, praying that it isn't yet another bug you're witnessing. There's no explanation, no feedback, barely no interaction with other players.

That's not meant as a critique, mind you. I fully understand the 'game' is in early development. But for me as a (potential) player, it's a pretty unattractive mess. What am I even supposed to do? What are the numbers I should be aiming for? Where and how do I change them? The whole 'game' looks more like the test-run of an engine than anything even remotely resembling something fun.

I'll try and stick with the 'game' a little longer, because it sounds like it has some serious potential. But I would advise anyone to stay away from this for the time being - unless you enjoy the part of a game where you're trying to figure out how stuff works... without ever actually figuring out how stuff works.

On a semi-related note: does anyone know of other games of this type, where you design your nation to compete against other players?

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2018, 03:33:25 am »

My nation is BAHA and I'm located in the Switzerland.
I'm open to any research and economy treaties as well as B12-related alliances.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm excited to send my spies to their first missions.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:47 am »

My nation is BAHA and I'm located in the Switzerland.
I'm open to any research and economy treaties as well as B12-related alliances.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm excited to send my spies to their first missions.

Just sent a treaty and checked all the boxes...cause why not I suppose

Also sent an economic treaty. It says it will boost both our productivity, and all the options within seem like talking points rather than actual effects so I only checked "generate inome"

Also...small note for anyone...it appears you have to accept your own proposed treaties.

Do this by going to politics > treaties > pending. Select the treaties and scroll down to put your signature.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:03:45 am by dennislp3 »

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2018, 04:05:40 am »

OK, I've signed and accepted treaties.
I wish the game would notify me of this somehow instead of having to manually check whether there are treaties available.

Also, here's a list of compiled list of possible problems: https://council.stepstowar.com/index.php?/topic/54-list-of-suspected-broken-mechanicsbugs/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:12:29 am by dorf »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2018, 04:27:58 am »

Waked up, and what do i see? Poverty index - 100.60%  :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:44:09 am by MCreeper »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2018, 04:55:03 am »

So poor you are beyond poor XD

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2018, 05:10:39 am »

Yea, the bubble of figuring out the numbers has popped nearly.

There is nothing making changes to those unempl/pov figures. I did a little check list of the 5 nations around me last night, nothing is changing just bouncing around a bit. 4 of them had 100 pov (along with me), another one who is on the way and nearly there this morning. Everyone's employment varies from 62-95, but has not changed either, seems to settle on some "spot". For myself its 71.3 which is where I noticed it flated lined last night ~July. The GDP all varies but again, same with a small diff around a spot.

In fact, everything is the same this morn, except for slow decline in corruption continues, slow decline in stability continues, slow decline in birth rate continues, slow increase in death rate continues. I will be negative pop by the end of this next year. Current 0.0358% monthly growth (from 0.1011% Jan)

Income 2560Bn, expenses 10,045Bn, slow decline of money of approx 100M every 5 days steadily (that continued overnight too, all figures the same)... 2560-10045= -7485 / 365 = -20.5M per day. Seems the budget is a yearly projection, at least the numbers "add" up to that.

World GDP was 20,220,..  last night, its now 20,323,..   someone, somewhere, someplace, must be growing GDP? unlike the stagnant situation around here... or   ::)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:12:58 am by Crowe~ »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:22 am »

I am trying to understand what my "security" expenses are...they are huge...as large as my total tax income.

I assumed it was social security...but even fiddling with all that stuff hasn't helped unless it updates on a monthly/yearly basis...waiting to see if it flips over to 0 soon (I dropped everything down except wages)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:51:32 am by dennislp3 »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2018, 05:19:27 am »

Yeah, I spent an hour looking through the options and decided to drop this game like a hot potato. I'm sure someone, somewhere will find it fun, but I don't find hundreds of fiddly menus fun with no feedback if what I'm changing even does anything, or if its all just a hot mess of partially implemented / fully unimplemented options.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2018, 05:22:19 am »

I am trying to understand what my "security" expensis are...they are huge...as large as my total tax income.

I assumed it was social security...but even fiddling with all that stuff hasn't helped unless it updates on a monthly/yearly basis...waiting to see if it flips over to 0 soon (I dropped everything down except wages)

Well, if it helps your quest. I can tell you at Jan'80 mine was 3.460Bn, now Dec'80 its still 3.460Bn. That is one rock solid number in the pack so far.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:24:16 am by Crowe~ »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2018, 05:44:59 am »

The picture doesn't help...military shows a plane, security shows a bomb...I was assume maybe its CIA style security services against terrorism and spies...but I don't even have spies

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2018, 05:54:01 am »

Yeah i registered too cause i like this type of game. But it looks more like a server load beta than a real functionnal beta, meaning that the admin is testing if his servs can handle the load. I say that because as a dev i can't understand how you could state that "my game is in beta".

Unless alpha is strictly graphical and beta means "now i can add features one by one" but still... we need explanation. Even a wiki article on what is currently really developped. I mean yay i can appoint ministries (i love to add 10+ ministers one by one, so much customisation) but what do they do ? Is it a placeholder ? a todo ?

And do anyone have surplus ? I can't seem to import anything, but i wonder if that's because it's not implemented or because nobody is able to export anything (btw everything is banned by default... why? dunno...).

And jesus, recruting leaders will take time. And i hope, when i recruit a unit, that's it a platoon or something. Not ONE soldier.

And when you start with 1B income and 11B expanse... well, it's not very encouraging to say the least.

Admin, give us repoooorts !

(i tried to play with the military map. Oh boy, war seems so tedious i don't even want to imagine it...)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20