Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Cycle - Space Opera/Godhood OOC-Thread (10/10)  (Read 4485 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
The Cycle - Space Opera/Godhood OOC-Thread (10/10)
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:47:10 am »

IC-Thread

Having had a fill of Stellaris lately, i desperately wanted to get back into a Space Opera Game, but from previous Games i gmed i just noticed that the moment you went beyond a single empire, it just blows out of proportion to a point where it becomes almost impossible for a GM to manage without starting excel tables and boring himself to death with endless accountancy.

On the other hand i was rather tired of doing a Houses of the Fading Suns game again, since its horribly bound by players being consistently active, specifically the Emperor and the moment somebody goe sin active or drops out it rips a huge hole into ongoing conflicts. Beyond those i only had one type of game which lasted pretty long and those were always the Godgames. Pantheon and Godhood had most of the time been low-maintenance high-octane RP games and were massive fun for me as a GM.

So i fiddled around a bit and came up with this: The Cycle. Basically a Space Opera Game stealing heavily in terms of mechanics from Godhood/Earlier Pantheons.

So what exactly will be going on? We will start in an utterly virgin Galaxy, which hasn't been graced by any sentient life so far and thus a black canvas for us to ruin. Interested players will be allowed to create species which have just achieved space flight. That means one-planet civilizations barely out of the twentieth century in terms of technology.

However: You will not play those initial Empires. You don't play any individuals, any empires or anything tangible at all. Instead this will run more or less more like a weird sandbox type of thing. Each turn a player gets an action, which he can use on any Empire, that is not the one he created.

With that action he has a freedom of choice as to what to do with that Empire. Encourage a shift towards democracy? Promote Xenophobia? Encourage Research into Physics? Create a Great Person and give it a specific task? It pretty much is open to you. As it goes however an Empire is not limited to a single action, so in theory nine players could put their actions into a single empire if they felt like it.

Additionally there is a Golden or Gilded age each turn. Each turn a random Empire is selected to enter a Golden Age, said empires creator is then offered to use three actions that turn specifically on his creation, which he usually cannot influence. However should the creator not be interested, instead a Gilded Age begins and any player can offer to take his place and lavish two actions on said empire instead.

But what about those Empires who do not get any player attention? Those Empires basically enter Stagnation, during that time they don't expand and do not research any new technologies. If they were left alone in a rather overextended position they will try to consolidate and or stabilize.

The Fifth State an empire can enter (apart from Growing, Stagnating, Golden and Gilded Age) is a Decline. This happens if a Stagnating Empire is in a particularly bad place or a Golden or Gilded Age Empires ends its Age without achieving anything or if a Growing Empire is extremely negatively influenced through player Actions.

As the Game progresses and the Nations of the Galaxy reach a certain expanse and technological advancement, there are no great challanges left except for complete galactic domination perhaps. At this point i will call an End to the Cycle. The Galaxy will enter its final phase: the Race for Ascendancy. By whatever means possible the existing Empires will need to attempt to ascend beyond the means of their mere mortal shells. How long the Race lasts depends entirely on the progress of the Empires, after a timespan i deem sufficient i will call the End to the Cycle. All Empires who have ascended will leave the Galaxy in one way or other and leave behind only those who have failed. These Empires will turn into Fallen Empires, pretty similiar to Stellaris and will become unplayable.

As the new Cycle begins all players and newcomers will create new Empires to begin the Second Cycle. Similiar to Stellaris with the Second Cycle Fallen Empires might awaken and previously ascended entities might return to the galaxy in various capacities. Such entities and especially awakened Empires might then be taken over by their previous creators if i deem it practical.

And thats basically the general principle of the game. Each turn you will submit your actions in bold as in any other game and i will resolve them at the end of the turn.

Empire Submission Sheet:
Name of the Nation: Self-Explanatory
Government: Refer to this lengthy list (its hidden behind a spoiler) This is to make things easier initially, if you want something particularly special, you can submit it but otherwise for the sake of common ground refer to this list. And yes you can take from the Non-Player Governments listed in there too
Ethics: Refer to this list Ethics and Governments don't necessarily have to correlate but if they don't make sense at all together i need a good explanation as to the why's and how's. You can have up to three of them with one being allowed (widening your options considerably, so you may have: one ethic, one fanatic ethic, one ethic and fanatic ethic, two ethics, three ethics and one fanatic and two ethics) These will not give you bonuses but are more in general how your species is, so having more is not automatically better
Species: What Species (singular or plural) does your Empire consist of? Note that Robotic and Cyborg Empires will not be possible initially, though you can very well turn into them later.
Pre-History: The History of your Empire before it discovered spaceflight (note that you are among the very first species to exist in the galaxy so you can't have regressed from somewhere else)

For the Beginning i will accept ten players, let's see if this turns out to be a not terrible idea :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:03:37 pm by Ghazkull »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Cycle - Space Opera/Godhood OOC-Thread (0/10)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:01:39 am »

Reserving a spot. They’ll be xenophile spiritualist materialists, unless contradictory ethics aren’t allowed, in which case xenophile materialist pacifists.

EDIT: The below civ still has their history as a WIP. I'm saving now so nothing gets maybe lost. I'll say when it's finished. It is done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Incilatro (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cynn (click to show/hide)

The Incilatro have been my go-to godgame mortals ever since GoC. The Cynn, meanwhile, are based on one of my own custom civs in Stellaris.
These guys are excited about the universe. Considering that you all tried to make various flavors of the Imperium of Man, they probably shouldn't be.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:49:34 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:35:04 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:32 am »

Spoiler:  The Crith Dominion (click to show/hide)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:07:33 pm »

I'm thinking
Name: Solar People
Government: Divine Empire
Ethics: Spiritualist, Militarist, Fanatic Authoritarian
Species: Morrigna (sorta crow-lizards)
Backstory: The Morrigna were a scattered and disparate race until the Great Revelation of Cuneith began to spread, which was that Cuneith had been visited and impregnated by the great ancestral star-spirit Lamdu, so that its (nb: Morrigna are hermaphroditic) child could unite the race and lead them to conquer the stars. Exactly how this Revelation came about is still unknown, and most Morrigna believe it uncritically to this day. In any case, under the first Solar Emperor Nidu, the Solar People expanded and absorbed most of the Morrigna nations, and established the first colony on one of the planet's moons; future Solar Emperors would soon conquer the rest of the planet, the rest of the system, and beyond.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:21:06 pm »

Spoiler: Thanuqa Theocracy (click to show/hide)

How's this?
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:35 pm »

My dudes are done.
Please don't eat them at the first opportunity. Or the second, or third, or any others after those.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:22 pm »

I'll get a sheet up here in a bit

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:47:35 pm »

Because I HAVE to use this one in every spacey game I participate in... Okay, can we bend Stellaris rules a bit and let me start with psionics?

Spoiler: Ti'Yuhan Tribe (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:13:08 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:27:35 am »

Name of the Nation: Serene and Noble Republic of the Zhonjor Nations
Government: Irenic Bureaucracy
Ethics: Xenophobe, Fanatic Pacifist
Species: Sorvan(s), aquatic oarfish-like species possessing six pairs of long tentacles.
Pre-History: The Sorvan nations are creatures native to their oceans that have over their existence, prospered into many states and nations. As expected of any sapient species as intelligent and independent-minded as the Sorvans, their unity is one that was only accomplished through great difficulty. In a war that wiped out more than 30% of their total population, the Sorvans came together and collectively decided: Never Again.In the 'Century of Union' the various heads of states decided to integrate their nations under one central union, joining together their bureaucracies and economies together. Indeed, once they began to question the existence of non-zhjonorian life, they decided that as interesting as such things could be, it was better to rebuild and improve their own development, rather than focus on 'possibilities' and 'ifs'.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 11:39:59 am »

Well then that looks really good so far...all are accepted of course and we need three more to begin.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cycle - Space Opera/Godhood OOC-Thread (7/10)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:33:05 pm »

Name of the Nation: The Salamanella Collective
Government: Collective conscioussness (hive mind)
Ethics:Fanatic materialists/gestsalt conscioussness
Species: The Salamanella are a species of colonial unicellular organisms, somewhat similar to the colonial protozoa of Earth. They have no fixed shape, since they move with ameboids movements, hence their nickname, "Living Waves". Despite their lack of muscles, they can manipulate things with incredible precision, thanks to the cillia on specialzed cells moving at unison, altough they are non nearly as good when brute force is required. The single cells and colonies (what a true pluricellular being might regard as "individual", as foolish as this may be with a hive mind species) communicate preferably with chemicals, even if they can use light, such as their natural bioluminescence if a more long distance method is required. This extremely precise and varied intercellular communication is what allows them to be a true sentient species despite even lacking a brain, because it creates a true hive mind. They reproduce asexually, by gemmation. Colonies can exhange cell freely and even fuse together, although of course the mobility of such big specimen is reduced. Being colonial organisms, they have perfect control over every single cell of their body. Their proprioception is throgh the roof. However their reflexes are truly abysmal, since the communications between their sensory cells and the rest of the body is much slower than te organisms with proper nerves. Their sensory abilities are quite weak when it comes to sight(they can only discern light and dark, no colors) and almost no hearing, but they have a very good sense of touch, smell and especially taste.

Pre-History: The Salamanellas were a insular species, living only in a small cave of a remote island in their home world of Zarthastra, where their population was way too small and scattered to allow for the hive mind to form. Then,the Nagaxel found them. This species of hexapedal humanoid whales was just going through a food crisis after a plague ad decimated their traditional crops and the discovery of this species was initially seen as a god-sent gift. This new form of plancton was immune to the plague and reproduced fast. In a short time, large bioreactors full of Salamanellas were created by the Nagaxel, to use as food for their starving population. This new, unnatural conditions hower, finally allowed the protozoa to express their full genetic potential. At first, it was a small patch of cells at the bottom of an anonymus bioreactor. But in just a few years, the newly created hivemind had infected every batch of Salamanella on the planet, impossible to distinguish from its non-sentinent ancestor. The Salmanella at the time had only one wish: to eliminate what he saw as his only natural predator. And so they did.At first it was subtle. They stared poisoning themselves, to weaken the Nagaxel. The hive mind could take the damage of a few cells dying, but the pollution of their only food source was devastating for the poor whales. Then, before the Nagaxel population could adapt, they attacked. It was a short but brutal war, where the outnumbered and starving Nagaxel where taken completely by surprise and swiftly eliminated. On the ashes of their civilization The Salamanella Consciousnnes was born, quickly coopting the knowledge of their former farmers in the service of the hive mind. Their drive to expansion is endless, and they wish to colonize as many world as possible, for the safety of the Hivemind.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:10:18 pm by Leonardo8 »

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:14:12 pm »

PTW

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:11 am »

Also accepted and that brings us up to 8 two more and we can start. On the other hand we could start already.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cycle - Space Opera/Godhood OOC-Thread (8/10)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 01:13:40 pm »

that moment when you try to upload a map of the galaxy and its too big for imgur...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7