Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game, where you have to escape ?  (Read 1367 times)

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game, where you have to escape ?
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:36 am »

Does anybody know a game (roguelike or not) with some quite complex/interesting mechanics where you have to escape (e.g. cross border, to a safe place etc.)...I find this an interesting game idea but do not know any related game. I do not mean a shooter, more about a 'realistic' setup and usage of stealth.
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game, where you have to escape ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:36 pm »

The most obvious one to my mind is The Escapists.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:20:28 pm »

Castle of No Escape is a cheap 2d roguelike of basic design. Actually hearkens back to old NES style gameplay and graphics. It's just a randomly generated tower with 10 floors you have to get through. A couple different character classes you can play. Not much on the RPG side but it caught my attention and was cheap, I enjoyed it. Don't know if it quite fits your defintion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »

Thief 1 and 2 had some missions (and fan missions) in which you had to escape a specific situation/place and reach safety.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:17 am »

Castle of No Escape looks nice, although I am searching a more slow-paced (e.g. turn-based) game with a more modern setting....but I guess that does not exist...
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:24:52 am »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/658660/Way_of_Defector/

Saw this on RPS a while back. Your post reminded me of it and it looks just like what you're looking for.

Generally it's not a wise choice to decide that what you're looking for "does no exist", because there's an awful lot of games out there of all kinds. ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:33:04 am by Egan_BW »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:35:33 am »

gothic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:52:51 am »

Escape from Castle Wolfenstein
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:55:30 am »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/658660/Way_of_Defector/

Saw this on RPS a while back. Your post reminded me of it and it looks just like what you're looking for.

Generally it's not a wise choice to decide that what you're looking for "does no exist", because there's an awful lot of games out there of all kinds. ;D

You're right :), thx for the link !

-Tom Clancy

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:39:45 am »

I've heard that Run, Escape! is supposed to be fairly popular, but I haven't played much of it myself.

You can play it at www.runescape.com

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 01:46:22 pm »

I've heard that Run, Escape! is supposed to be fairly popular, but I haven't played much of it myself.

I can't tell if this is a troll post or not.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:01:11 pm »

I can't tell if this is a troll post or not.

I actually clicked it out of idle curiosity to see if they somehow accidentally let their domain lapse or something.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 10:20:50 am »

The original Abe's Oddesy games? Stealthy escapes is the whole thing.

Pyro22/Pyro II (yes, you're "escaping" from your fuse/wick, whilst you burn down everything you can in your path. And stealthing around guards in later floors. Very good game BTW) .

There was also some pseudo-roguelike where you ran from from left to right, with an all encompassing "shadow" chasing you, released a few years ago (3? 5? Lots, anyway), that I can't for the life of me remember the name of.

Going stealth/speed in Cogmind? A little bit of combat needed, but mostly just dodging through floors.

A really old game called "Capture the Flag"? Stealth is an awesome winning option in that, with distraction and combat teammates necessary to make sure your fast stealther gets in and grabs the flag, and then runs the gauntlet back home to escape with the points. LoS, terrain and running/crawling/prone changes a lot in vision ranges, and it can become a game of cat and mouse, or who shows themselves first loses, kind of effort. Also a very good game. I recommend every stealth fan play it, even if it looks win3.11 ugly. Desperately NEEDS a remake for modern operating systems and with nicer graphics.

Faster than Light (FTL)? You're "escaping" the rebels, for the sole purpose of destroying the flagship.

DoomRL on Angel of Humanity mode? You're escaping, with a shotgun. One hit and you're gone, so stealth and level skipping is the name of the game. A tiny bit of combat absolutely necessary, but most of it is running like fuck away from everything, and to the stairs.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:37:59 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »

Dude I remember "Capture The Flag." It was an amazing game for being so basic. Had a really huge map, all the team members were scattered around, it almost felt X-COM-y in the way managing all your team members worked.

Good luck finding it, but I recall it was shareware back in the 90s. Thanks for the memories.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 03:27:00 pm »

Kinda easy to find. Abandonware sites do also stock legitimate shareware.

I actually only thought of it because I was recommending fairly non-violent games to my cousin for her kid to try out.

The full version IS way better (you can even min/max team members, and there's a fair few maps). But yeah, if there's a game that needs an update, it's Capture the Flag. It was good :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:28:43 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: [1] 2