Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Industry  (Read 1295 times)

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine Industry
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:15:18 am »

So I'm working with adamantine for the first time and I'm having issues getting my dwarves to actually spend time making strands and wafers.

Anyone got any good tricks for making sure dwarves actually do these jobs efficiently?

Right now I have 3 magma smelters and 3 craftsdwarf shops next to each with a couple of nearby quantum stockpiles that will accept the adamantine ore and metallic strands.

I have queued up a standing order of constantly extract strands and constantly make wafers.

I have a mountain of dwarves not doing those jobs and 10 adamantine battle axes queued up waiting on wafers.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Industry
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:18:33 am »

Make sure strand extraction is enable on those dwarves, and check stockpile links, if the smelters are set to take just from one stockpile they might ignore adamantine elsewhere.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:53 am »

Yeah, I had enabled it after adamantine showed up on about 4-5 dwarves.  When work hadn't started I picked out one lucky dwarf and made that is only labor.

Then I checked the craftdwarfshops and none of the 3 even had the task selected, they were filled up with other shop tasks so I also removed all tasks from one shop and set 10 extract strand tasks on that shop.

He finally started working, but I don't really want a dwarf with only strand extraction and I also don't want to have to manually designate tasks on an individual shop if I don't have to either.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:39 am »

It is ridiculously slow, so training someone isn't too bad.
Also, remember to set workshops for orders, or the orders for bone carving will show up on the other side of the map on the stone crafting workshop.
Use workshop profile to set it to strand extraction only, then the work orders unrelated won't come up here.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 11:33:09 am »

I'll have to look into this setting a workshop to only accept strand extraction orders, that could help a lot.  And I guess I'll leave at least 1 dedicated strand extractor for now, thanks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 12:45:13 pm »

Also you need to HIDE YOUR WAFERS AND STRANDS behind locked doors to prevent moody dwarves from making a scepter our of candy with candy spikes and candy rings with 16 images of candy on it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 01:14:48 pm »

Oh yeah. Use burrows to lock moody dwarves or just forbid all strands and bars when not using.

The first candy coffer is the most painful.

Oh, this went for a but long, but using candy when in the gameplay questions area to not spoil new players.

Edit: Oh right, we are in general discussion.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 01:28:54 pm »

I honestly just use candy because it's easier to type.

Anyway I usually allow one adamantine artifact because of the insane value, and then place it somewhere on a pedestal or whatnot.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 10:45:42 pm »

Oh yeah. Use burrows to lock moody dwarves or just forbid all strands and bars when not using.

The first candy coffer is the most painful.

Oh, this went for a but long, but using candy when in the gameplay questions area to not spoil new players.

Edit: Oh right, we are in general discussion.
Because new players wouldn't dream of clicking in any other forum. Or use the indispensable guide that is the Dfwiki to guide them during their newbish days.

Relax, everyone who has more than a passing interest in learning how to play the game knows what candy is. It's just easier to type (so is "hell", but The Circus plays into horrifying clown fantasies too, so that works).