Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 59

Author Topic: MafiaKart Racing: A BYOR Adventure - Game Over: Three Thirds On Negative Three.  (Read 86583 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

It's still early, but here are my reads on everyone:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're brief for now, and I don't have much beyond first impressions and intuition yet. I wouldn't take these as gospel.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MafiaKart Racing: A BYOR Adventure - Day 1 Midday: No One Expects Whom?
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2018, 11:41:29 am »

(quotes)

This part strikes me as really odd. If I were to gain a recruit ability from killing a mafia member, they would be recruited as members of the town team.

The role seems to have been specifically made to be confusing for everyone as it was going to auto flip d1. I haven't done anything yet myself, so I don't understand how am I hurting the town?

Your Inquisitor power only allows you to steal more Mafiakills and kills the target besides. You don't gain a recruiter ability from it, unless it is somehow tagged with the mafiakill condition. And even in that case you reduce the town votes by one. Am I missing something?

If a townie should fess up, they have either a death warrant by your hand or a hypothetical mafia recruiter knows who would have more power if only they were on a team who could use it. It looks from here like future harm to the town.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EBWOP:
I might have clarified that saying RGU "is a mess" refers less to his play as to trying to read that damn roleflip.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mafia members will also have mafiakills which will lose if I kill them and probably won't recover even if revived (or protected, if the ability steal still goes through.)

Also: "Why would you want to hurt Town like that?"

What did I do that is hurting town right now? Even the flip was out of my control.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

I'm quite happy to not have FoU be winning races given his wincon.

hit FoU
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@RGU:
Ah, so now you are targeting mafia members. Good for you. Your inquiry was immediately prefaced by the observation that you thought town players must have mafiakill abilities. I thought that you wanted town players in particular. Then,
It looks from here like future harm to the town.

Future, not current. Currently is continuing role oddness.
If you are trying to play as town, it seems rather naïve to think scum will volunteer to have their abilities stolen.
If you are not town (and possibly if you are depending on how badly you want to play the vigilante) it reads like you want to stockpile killing powers at town's expense.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile

BlackHeartKabal: Town. Seems a little lynch-happy, though.
nani

In other news, I don't necessarily trust RGU, what with all of his flipflopping that mushroom is pointing out, but I feel like the fact that we know everything about him but his alignment makes him a non issue D1. At least I think that's the right thing to think. Maybe just... have an investigator or such look at him?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe just... have an investigator or such look at him?
Won't help. One of the abilities makes him always inspect as mafia.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile

Roleblock him forever then?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2018, 01:48:36 pm »

Tiruin:
>_> Is there any reason for two of you folks to hit my car for whatever reason, because that's blatantly mean. I'm glad I'm very durable, because y'all are mean that way :I
I got hit three times.  You were practically treated kindly!

Shakerag
Yeah, this forum hasn't exactly had the most encouraging historical attitudes toward self-claimed third parties.
Not 'this forum'; specific people. I've always treated third-parties with the same equivalence that is alongside 'do not judge by superficiality'.
Well, on average then. 

Shakerag
I don't think having my role fully visible to everyone is "tame."
It is.  Trust me.
The impression I've always had is you speaking from experience here rather than comparing what you have now to what he said.
Are you softclaiming? :P
Actually, I was more thinking back to the mainline BYOR games.  I would say that, despite picking "11", my role was on the tamer side of what I was expecting/fearing.

randomgenericusername:
My role seems to imply that there are either town players with mafiakills or a mafia recruiter. Did anyone else start with a mafiakill ability?
That would be a negative.

quinnr:
I will say, I do get some bad vibes from mightymushroom. The hidden position ability seems like it would not be too beneficial to the town and would give a big advantage in winning any race, and they were also quick to vote for what seems like a weird read of a post's tone to me:
[...]
Their car number also says "non-town" to me, and their explanation that it's just because they chose -1 seems made up to me, but that's another hunch.
So, we've determined that car numbers were picked before the game, you didn't even have the correct player who picked a "web number" of -1, and mightmushroom's vote on Tiruin was pretty obviously an RVS vote.  So would I be correct in stating your entire case on mightymushroom boils down to you not liking the hidden position ability?

mightymushroom:
Unvote Tiruin

Especially as it seems people are now voting me because of it.
Just a tip, but if you unvote someone just for the sole reason of getting voted because of it again, you'll get my vote.

RGU:
randomgenericusername is a mess. The particular phrasing of the powers makes me think that it is not true mafia alignment, but webadict is unlikely to be careless in wording a role that is going public from the start.
My role seems to imply that there are either town players with mafiakills or a mafia recruiter. Did anyone else start with a mafiakill ability?
That is not you helping you at all, seeing as that knowledge allows you to kill them and claim it. Or points a mafia recruiter right to them to add to the scum's pool of powers. Why would you want to hurt Town like that?

This part strikes me as really odd. If I were to gain a recruit ability from killing a mafia member, they would be recruited as members of the town team.

The role seems to have been specifically made to be confusing for everyone as it was going to auto flip d1. I haven't done anything yet myself, so I don't understand how am I hurting the town?
The wording on your "The Road to Hell" ability does seem to suggest that either you have a way to change alignments (which was hidden from the public role flip) or another player has some manner of ability to recruit/change alignments.  In my experience, outside of the actual "cult" alignment, alignment-changing abilities are pretty few and far between.

The wording on your "Inquisitor" ability seems to strongly imply the existence of some manner of redirector, bus, or other target/source changing ability existing in game.  To a lesser extent, it points to ability gaining/trading/copying/stealing mechanics. 

My memory may be poor on this, but I think webadict doesn't *typically* throw in extraneous conditions in abilities without some reason.

Mafia members will also have mafiakills which will lose if I kill them and probably won't recover even if revived (or protected, if the ability steal still goes through.)
They would lose any "special" mafiakill abilities, but they could still use the generic factional mafiakill ability.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roleblock him forever then?
The only known roleblocker is unwilling to do that without filthy lucre.

Also I should point out to IcyTea that I am very good at appearing as town, so early indications are always going to point that way.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2018, 01:52:26 pm »

mightymushroom:
Unvote Tiruin

Especially as it seems people are now voting me because of it.
Just a tip, but if you unvote someone just for the sole reason of getting voted because of it again, you'll get my vote.

Not the sole reason as I went on to explain. But I will keep your style guide in mind for the future.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tbf it's not really a style thing, it's suspect when it happens. More-so later in the game, though.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also I should point out to IcyTea that I am very good at appearing as town, so early indications are always going to point that way.
Yeah, hence first impressions. I have no doubt my reads will change over time as the game goes on.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@RGU:
Ah, so now you are targeting mafia members. Good for you. Your inquiry was immediately prefaced by the observation that you thought town players must have mafiakill abilities. I thought that you wanted town players in particular. Then,
It looks from here like future harm to the town.

Future, not current. Currently is continuing role oddness.
If you are trying to play as town, it seems rather naïve to think scum will volunteer to have their abilities stolen.
If you are not town (and possibly if you are depending on how badly you want to play the vigilante) it reads like you want to stockpile killing powers at town's expense.

FoS mightymushroom. There's something in your tone that I don't really like and the way you word your posts make it look like you are trying to imply things that aren't really true.

When did I even say I was going to target town players? Even then, the ability is an one-shot, so I want to target mafia members if I want to make it worth it.

I even said that giving one player all of the other players abilities was a bad idea, even if they were town. I asked if someone else had a mafiakill ability because I sarted with one along to the miller passive.

And the mafia isn't going to volunteer, I can steal their mafiakill and kill them because that's what my ability does, the role everyone was able to see at the start of day 1.

(1-Shot, Mafiakill) Inquisitor: You kill the target and steal any Mafiakill abilities from them. This ability does nothing if it targets randomgenericusername, and instead kills the player who uses it, so long as they are ALSO not randomgenericusername.

Why do you mention the mafia "volunteering" then? There's nothing anywhere that would imply that the mafia can just not take the kill unless they have a protector or roleblocker. And we still don't know what are the mafia roles yet.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 59