Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 188277 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #795 on: December 10, 2019, 10:29:01 am »

I have been playing some Soulcalibur 6 with Discord friendos. I've never played a fighting game before, and I tend to hate controllers, but I really enjoy it, especially since I got it for free in a giveaway. In the singleplayer category, I was playing Hotline Miami* and Portal 2. I'm also fucking with the PS3 emulator, so I can play Demon's Souls for a complete Souls experience**.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

** Hopefully we'll have a PS4 emulator in the next decade.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 10, 2019, 11:08:58 am »

So... It's what you get if you take a dungeon crawler and cross it with Doom?

... I feel like I'd actually play that. Or a turn-based version of Grimrock.
DoomRL is a thing. It's Doom, but a roguelike. It's pretty awesome.

It is. Also, someone made a mod for Doom that adds in a lot of stuff from the roguelike.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 11, 2019, 05:30:35 am »

I beat Doom RPG.

It was a fun little time-waster. It was pathetically easy, but if it had been any harder I would have quit rather than power through to the end. I would have been stoked to have it on a flip-phone in 2005, and that's the only context I can imagine being excited to play it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 11, 2019, 07:14:55 am »

When you buy a complex game, do you just jump in and learn how to swim, or do you first spend ages reading the manual and watching let's plays to understand the mechanics?

I do the latter.   I just can't bring myself to learn through trial and error.  And once  i've understood the mechanics, i sometimes then lose interest in playing the actual game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 11, 2019, 07:34:40 am »

Kinda depends, really. For some things I just smash right into the wall, for others I research the shit out of it. I'm... Not even entirely sure what defines which, even. I think I'm more inclined to research games that have permanent RPG choices and whatnot, whereas games with more forgiving rerolls or no "builds" structure I'll launch right into.

Then again, I also jumped straight into the latest God of War game (my first time actually playing any of the series) and immediately put it on hard mode. Made it through a few areas before I got wise and decided it would be prudent to learn how to play first.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 11, 2019, 08:44:30 am »

To me the only games that really required me to read a manual instead of "learning while doing" are simulators like Orbiter or Falcon 3 (never played it but from what i read and saw Falcon 4 requires a manual reading even more :D )  by example.
I imagine nowadays with games featuring ingame tutorials this need of reading manuals is lessened.

Though some manuals were mostly must read because of the extra and additional content that contributed to world building, setting the lore and etc... of some games, even when said games were easy to learn ingame.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 11, 2019, 09:00:17 am »

When you buy a complex game, do you just jump in and learn how to swim, or do you first spend ages reading the manual and watching let's plays to understand the mechanics?

I do the latter.   I just can't bring myself to learn through trial and error.  And once  i've understood the mechanics, i sometimes then lose interest in playing the actual game.

I play on an easier mode for a first playthrough, if that's a thing they offer. Otherwise, I try to learn just enough to get started.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 11, 2019, 02:48:17 pm »

If it's so complex that I can't reasonably deduce the mechanics and need to seek information outside the game, I usually can't be asked nowadays. My time is too scarce and my patience is too thin.

I still play games that I did know once upon a time, like X-Com and Dwarf Fortress, but if I had to learn DF all over again I don't think I would be able to stand it.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 11, 2019, 04:10:06 pm »

I've recently gotten back into EVE Online. Now that I have an actual income, I can play for longer than a two-week trial period on a throwaway account.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 12, 2019, 08:18:57 pm »

Shivering Isles isn't really as exciting as I thought it would be. I still click through insufferable voice acting, fast travel as much as possible, and zap enemies with the incredibly overpowered staff I got from the Mage's Guild. The only difference is that instead of awkward stilted fantasy dialogue, NPCs now have awkward stilted "lolrandum" dialogue. At least the scenery is a bit more interesting; parts of the Shivering Isles remind me of walking around in Morrowind, and I like some of the new clothes that NPCs wear.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 13, 2019, 09:23:19 am »

So, I've been playing Pyre by Supergiant Games, and it is definitely their weirdest game so far. I... kinda like it? I guess I just don't have a proper mood for the game, but I hope to finish it by the New Year.

Also, big thanks and shout-outs to Il Palazzo for gifting me the game for free!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 14, 2019, 09:44:22 am »

Just started on Disco Elysium.  I'm only about 20 minutes in and it's already awesome.  I died in the first 2 minutes...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 14, 2019, 01:31:08 pm »

I've recently gotten back into EVE Online. Now that I have an actual income, I can play for longer than a two-week trial period on a throwaway account.

aww come on, Alpha Clone state isnt that bad....i quite enjoy not being tied to farm plex in order to have a good time in the game.

as for what im playing, i just finished a new run of Trials in Tainted Space. modifying your character using mutations and stacking them to get unique appearance is really cool. my avatar is basically an herm with traits of different alien insects while still having its human visage. i quite enjoy the result, and it took a while to figure out the proper steps to ensure i can still keep a percentage of human DNA apart of all the other alien genes.

wish i was talented enough to make a drawing of him...her...they....whatever

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 15, 2019, 02:42:58 pm »

TW:Warhammer 2, playing a bit with Morathi, not usually the biggest fan of DE's, and her start is annoying as fuck because you quickly get warred on from pretty much all sides. Now, the exiles while dangerous are fairly passive for now so I'm holding off on dealing with them atm as I push eastward to grab hold of Vaul's anvil. Trouble is, fucking Craventail was holding it so I warred the dirty rat since he was fairly weak. He can't really beat me 1v1 but what he has been doing for the past several turns is running a trash army and either capturing or razing one of the two settlements that are left unguarded. So I shoo him off and recapture, but at that point a rebellion pops up at the major settlement in the south of the region, so I swing southwards to deal with that when the fucker pops up and does the whole raze/capture nonsense before legging it back north. And now I've got rebels in the Quintex province as well, so I gotta deal with that shit too. And of course I'm too broke to be able to support two proper armies to deal with all of his, I swear as fun and as challenging all of this can be, sometimes it feels like the AI is just being a dick to waste your time and nothing else.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 15, 2019, 03:02:12 pm »

So after finishing off Prototype 2 and 100%-ing the achievements, I installed my old copy of Grow Home and played through that for the first time, picking up all the achievements again...

...why am I doing this?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101