Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 188259 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #735 on: November 21, 2019, 02:22:25 am »

A rather simplistic tactical game about (monotone) surviving a pack of zombies to reach safety, Wanna Survive, earns a place of distinction among my collection for being yet another addition to my lamentation of "Do you don't have to actually eat every day, do you?" (whose highlights include Frostpunk, Papers, Please, and This War of Mine, among others).

And no, they really don't: Not eating for a day only penalizes them 1hp, or sets them to starving if they're at 1hp, whereupon they'll die the next night, but it means they'll survive by eating every other day. (Or every other, other day if they have more than 1maxhp, since they get +1hp healing from eating.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:57:17 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 22, 2019, 02:26:05 am »

I caved and bought Disco Elysium. I had been put off after realising that rather than creating their own character, the player assumes control of some pre-made guy.

So far, though, I'm loving it! Kind of like reading a good novel, but with gorgeous graphics, satisfying sound fx and, of course, you control your character and choose not only what actions to take but also (most of the time) how you should react to and feel about things.   
It runs like arse on my computer even on lowest settings, but it's compelling enough that I'm pushing through and enjoying it a great deal.

Only annoying thing I've come across so far is the morale mechanic. Not gonna go into details and risk spoiling anything, but maybe I'm just missing something and it's not as stupid as it seems, who knows.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 22, 2019, 09:08:51 am »

I caved and bought Disco Elysium. I had been put off after realising that rather than creating their own character, the player assumes control of some pre-made guy.

So far, though, I'm loving it! Kind of like reading a good novel, but with gorgeous graphics, satisfying sound fx and, of course, you control your character and choose not only what actions to take but also (most of the time) how you should react to and feel about things.   
It runs like arse on my computer even on lowest settings, but it's compelling enough that I'm pushing through and enjoying it a great deal.

Only annoying thing I've come across so far is the morale mechanic. Not gonna go into details and risk spoiling anything, but maybe I'm just missing something and it's not as stupid as it seems, who knows.

There is literally a spoiler tag. For spoilers.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 22, 2019, 09:11:38 am »

Well, it's not as though I was discussing plot points. I just feel like it's best to experience this game for oneself. I very carefully avoided spoilers before buying it, myself.

In any case, it turns out I was just missing something obvious. Whoops. 😅
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:29 am »

Just got Not A Hero, Chroma Squad, and Disgaea 2, all of which I would recommend.

Not A Hero is a shooter platformer (sort of) involving gratuitous violence in order to get a bunny person elected mayor.

Chroma Squad is apparently Super Sentai: The Turn-Based Tactics Game. Teamwork is crucial.

Disgaea 2... might warrant its own post? Either that, or someone more familiar with these games can describe them for me. Just know that I like it too, just from some of the things I’ve heard about it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:37 am »

Disgaea 2... might warrant its own post? Either that, or someone more familiar with these games can describe them for me. Just know that I like it too, just from some of the things I’ve heard about it.

Disgaea, and it's various sequels and spinoffs, in brief summary, are turn-based tactical RPG's with an emphasis on having a wide variety of units with distinct abilities and attributes, as well as a wide variety of methods for empowering them and an extensive list of challenges to test their strength. Much of the fun in these games comes from figuring out creative ways to combine these many variables so as to make your combat power skyrocket and eventually reach damage numbers in the billions. Disgaea games also feature a distinct anti-hero motif which can be somewhat amusing at times.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 22, 2019, 10:12:15 am »

Yeah, Disgaea are pretty good pick up and play games but by god, I've never finished one. They've got plenty to do but you can pretty easily outpace the challenge in them. Fun games worth a play if you never have and like grid tactics. 2 and 3 I remember being especially worthwhile PSP purchases.

I've been digging into Terraria again lately. I remember distinctly disliking it before, and now I'm not sure why. Really enjoying playing it in about 40 minute spurts.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 22, 2019, 11:00:39 am »

Well, it's not as though I was discussing plot points. I just feel like it's best to experience this game for oneself. I very carefully avoided spoilers before buying it, myself.

In any case, it turns out I was just missing something obvious. Whoops. 😅

Nah, you wanted to add something, but didn't want to spoil anything. I meant that you could just go ahead and put it in spoiler tags. I can see now how it reads that way, though.

Disgaea, and it's various sequels and spinoffs, in brief summary, are turn-based tactical RPG's with an emphasis on having a wide variety of units with distinct abilities and attributes, as well as a wide variety of methods for empowering them and an extensive list of challenges to test their strength. Much of the fun in these games comes from figuring out creative ways to combine these many variables so as to make your combat power skyrocket and eventually reach damage numbers in the billions. Disgaea games also feature a distinct anti-hero motif which can be somewhat amusing at times.

Also, everything is grinding. Buying things in the shop increases the shopkeepers' experience, so you can buy better stuff. You can grind up the effectiveness of your weapons by going into a dungeon in each one and moving the stat bonuses around. Taking damage and then healing it gets you rewards.

Although end-game grinding is improving a single team member or their weapon at a time, and it gets wildly repetitive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:05:45 am by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 23, 2019, 05:57:12 am »

I caved and bought Disco Elysium.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disco Elysium is fantastic; it feels more like Planescape: Torment to me than Pillars of Eternity/Torment:ToN did by a longshot despite the more realistic setting... It also feels kind of like the SNES Shadowrun. It basically plays like P:T without the combat, and instead you're playing against stat tests in conversation. And if you were schizophrenic. It feels like half the dialogue is your subconscious being snarky with your consciousness, and it works gloriously.

And for the curious-- morale is basically mental health. My guy is effectively mentally unstable (1 morale...) and had a mental breakdown after throwing a ball in a game and missing the target. XD. Yes, I actually game over'd because my guy sucks at tossing a ball while chatting with guys at the park.

Update: Though, it is kind of annoying how
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:01:48 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 25, 2019, 12:33:42 pm »

Also, everything is grinding. Buying things in the shop increases the shopkeepers' experience, so you can buy better stuff. You can grind up the effectiveness of your weapons by going into a dungeon in each one and moving the stat bonuses around. Taking damage and then healing it gets you rewards.

Although end-game grinding is improving a single team member or their weapon at a time, and it gets wildly repetitive.

Also, this conversation and a Humble Store sale means I'm now playing Disgaea 5 on PC (because 4 isn't available).

I have no idea if characters with a class still have better potential than story PCs (or why that used to be/appear to be), but I was mostly rolling with story PCs for the first chapter. Also, I one-shot Red Magnus with a thrown prinny (the H252 one that does >50k damage, but still). I need to start checking enemy levels and HP before assuming it's a fight I'm supposed to lose the first time and going overboard.

Edit: Looked up H252 Prinny, instead of going by bad memory.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:13:51 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 25, 2019, 03:47:12 pm »

I have no idea if characters with a class still have better potential than story PCs (or why that used to be/appear to be), but I was mostly rolling with story PCs for the first chapter. Also, I one-shot Red Magnus with a thrown prinny (the H252 one that does >50k damage, but still). I need to start checking enemy levels and HP before assuming it's a fight I'm supposed to lose the first time and going overboard.

Can't speak for Disgaea 5, but at least for the original Disgaea (DS version), Thursday the robot was actually the strongest character because he got a stat bonus to equipped gear at the cost of being unable to reincarnate.

Beyond that, pretty much all the... grand maijin(or whatever the top tier generics were) were even with the storyline characters, barring unique movies if you needed them for some reason.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 25, 2019, 06:28:27 pm »

Enderal, the Skyrim mod that is better than actual Skyrim.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 25, 2019, 06:45:27 pm »

Enderal, the Skyrim mod that is better than actual Skyrim.

But the most important question, is it CBBE compatible? 0_o

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 25, 2019, 09:04:19 pm »

For Honor because I honestly found myself in a slump and wanted to get in to something easy that takes very little brain power or patience to enjoy.

(Fucking Kenshi. So goddamn tedious trying to enjoy that game sometimes.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 26, 2019, 06:04:17 pm »

I’ve gotten the urge to go back to SimCity4...
That usually means I’ll spend an inordinate amount of time scouring for mods, flirt with the idea of learning 3D modeling, lose interest after two weeks and move on.

All without actually building a city
Curse my short attention span...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101