Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 101

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 188538 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2018, 08:02:28 am »

It's not so much the fact that they have DLC or that said DLC is expensive, it has to do with the way they shelled it out for the first game. First they say that unlocking Chaos as a playable faction would be a pre-order exclusive bonus. Which, already, is enough to piss off people looking at an $80 game and caused a bit of a split in the community.

Then the game launched, and the very week after launch they come out and say that you can buy the DLC to unlock Chaos, now suddenly shitting on the people who did shell out a lot of money sight-unseen so they could have the "exclusive" unlock. Didn't help that the original price for the DLC was something like $20 on top of the already hugely expensive title.

But then a little while later, people said "hey, for a Warhammer game, there doesn't seem to be any blood getting spilled", and they got the response that production had been a bit rushed, so it couldn't make 1.0.

And then blood graphics came out... As a $9.99 DLC. At this point people just said "alright, fuck you Mr. Scrooge" and boycotted the game because supporting that kind of behavior is fucking abhorrent. Then beastmen came out as another $20 add-on, but by that time the lines were already drawn.

So you see, it's not about the specific DLCs or however much they may cost, it's about telling the industry that those practices are unacceptable.

(This was all for TW:W1, mind. The second game just gets shit by virtue of association)
Um, a lot of this rant is just flat out wrong. For one thing, blood dlc have been a thing in total war games since Shogun 2 (to keep the game's rating down), and it doesn't cost $10, it cost $3.

Secondly, the whole preorder chaos dlc thing was scummy, but you've made it several orders of magnitude worse somehow. Chaos was never an "exclusive" unlock bonus for preordering the game, and you didn't have to pay extra. You paid $60 (the base price of the game, not $80) to own the game before it launched, and you got the DLC for free. Then because there was a massive backlash against that, because it was scummy, they changed it so that if you bought the game in the first week you got the chaos dlc for free as well. They never planned to have it just be pre-order content, they made it clear form the beginning it was going to be a paid DLC, and you din't have to pay anything extra to get it.

Is Day 1 DLC scummy? Sure, but first of all, the game is good enough without Chaos being a playable faction, so if you don't want the DLC, you don't need it, and secondly, they seemed to have learned from the backlash since the bonus for preordering Total Warhammer II was that you got free DLC for the first game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19:40 am »

Warhammer DLC policy was scummy enough to get me of the TW train tbh.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:17 am »

Now it costs $3, yes, but not when it first released. Looking at articles that came out afterwards, it does appear that CA hadn't intended to keep it pre-order exclusive, but that meaning was lost in the wording of the trailers promoting its content. It was certainly made to seem as though it were exclusive if you didn't dig into the issue (and exacerbated by articles that do use the term pre-order exclusive).

But yeah, seems I fucked up on the price. It was released in Europe for 60 euro (because why do conversions when you can just change the currency sign?), roughly 70 dollars. And then Norway got a slightly worse deal on the euro-kroner conversion, putting it up a bit more at 599NOK (still not quite $80 though).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2018, 09:46:40 am »

Now it costs $3, yes, but not when it first released.
I can't find anything on that, and I feel I'd have heard about it before now if that was the case. The few articles on it I could find didn't mention the price change.

For me I enjoyed the base game enough that I don't really care too much about a blood DLC I don't need, or a race pack I'm not really interested in. I'll probably get the other DLC when it goes on sale (and I got one or two for free already). I'm fine with people swearing off Warhammer because of DLC policy, just get your facts straight.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:33 am »

Anyway, Darkest Dungeon. I’ve been playing that as of late.

Missing has never felt so irritating before, yet critting  has never felt so satisfying.

It’s a nice game. Haven’t got any of the DLC though.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2018, 10:16:55 pm »

Started to get back into TF2 lately, finally breaking into the 1000 hour milestone. (After playing since 2011/2012.)
(Going as far as getting into trading, or rather, "smelting all my duplicate unique weapons, selling my unused cosmetics just to buy some new cheap ones".)

Other than that:
- some Slay the Spire as my new go-to roguelike (TBOI:AB+ is fun but trying to unlock the new secret-not-so-secret character has been frustrating beyond belief).
- Total Annihilation and Zero-K, for the "epic and slow-paced RTS" itch.
- (classic) Ace of Spades (Build & Shoot) which is still surprisingly not entirely dead despite the passage of time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2018, 01:01:49 am »

Killing Floor 2 with the boyz.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2018, 04:38:31 am »

Killing Floor 2 with the boyz.

Would you say you're... cracking open a few clot ones?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2018, 03:58:56 pm »

I'll give it to you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2018, 10:23:00 am »

Donkey Kong Country 3.

I got it recently, having only played the first two as kids.  After also playing Donkey Kong 64 for the first time as an adult, I must say I already like this game about 10x as much.  It's clearly inferior to Donkey Kong Country 2 in a few ways, but it at least feels like the same game series and isn't endlessly frustrating like Donkey Kong 64.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »

Donkey Kong Country 3.

I got it recently, having only played the first two as kids.  After also playing Donkey Kong 64 for the first time as an adult, I must say I already like this game about 10x as much.  It's clearly inferior to Donkey Kong Country 2 in a few ways, but it at least feels like the same game series and isn't endlessly frustrating like Donkey Kong 64.

HE'S BIGGER, FASTER, AND STRONGER TOO. HE'S THE FIRST MEMBER, OF THE D.K. CREW!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2018, 12:23:52 pm »

That song and the memes it generated are sadly the best part of Donkey Kong 64.  :(

Except maybe falling too far and squishing on the ground.  For some reason, that never got old.  Oh, and the Moon Kick bug, but I only got it to work a few times.  I had a good laugh when I did.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2018, 01:07:17 am »

I started playing DF again.

I embarked on a terrifying glacier with nothing besides an anvil and a single lump of tetrahedrite (no skills, no supplies, no other items), and things seem to be going well. Only 3 of the peasants are dead, the dead cave crocodile and giant olm didn't reanimate, and even though the only pick got lost in the cavern pool with a drowned dwarf, I thankfully had made an axe and some leftover copper (and so can make another). It'd only be one dead dwarf if I hadn't let a Yeti wander in from the surface, and had just built a wall instead of a drawbridge to seal them off, but whatever.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2018, 06:13:19 am »

I just recently beat the first three gears of war games, I've enjoyed the series so far, and I'm about to play throw gears of war judgment, I would play the forth one but I don't have an Xbox one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2018, 06:48:37 am »

I just recently beat the first three gears of war games, I've enjoyed the series so far, and I'm about to play throw gears of war judgment, I would play the forth one but I don't have an Xbox one.

I played through GoW2 and 3 on co-op with an old buddy of mine, great times. If we still talked with each other, we'd probably still use the little in-joke that came about because of those playthroughs.

"IT'S A GIANT WOOORM!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 101