Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [4/4]  (Read 6422 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [4/4]
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2018, 12:34:52 pm »

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:49:16 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2018, 02:30:25 pm »

Turn 4

Frame 1

Swift Actions
Dunnel moves NE
Dunnel uses a lesser agility resurgence, recovering 2 agility. (You don't actually have enough Attribute points to use your original action string, so I'm adding this instead of making you do it again. Think of it as overdraft protection for the soul.)
Dunnel uses a swift heavy lunge, NE, hitting the Orc Veteran
65*1.5*1.5 = 146 damage.
Dunnel moves in from the Orc Veteran's flank, spearing the greenskin's side- but still seeming to not even phase the creature's singular pursuit of Gotz.
Miles uses a lesser agility resurgence, recovering 3 agility.
Miles uses a swift heavy slash, SE, hitting the Orc Veteran.
79*1.5*1.5*1.2 = 212 damage. Orc Veteran is dead.
While Dunnel's blade is still embedded in the Orc Veteran's side, Miles' blade cuts upward and slices between the Orc Veteran's rib- kissing lung and liver as it slices through. The massive orc roars once more, spraying spittle and green blood over its beard as it screams its defiance of the reaper. The reaper, however, cares not for defiance, and the Orc's knees buckle when it attempts to take another step forward, pitching the greenskin into a puddle of its own blood.

Movement/Dodges
Gwyn moves NE
Gotz moves NE

Attacks/Blocks/Abilities
Dunnel catches the throwing cross as it whirls back towards him.

Warm-Up/Cooldowns
[None]

Dead/Disabled
Orc Veteran

Other
[None]

Gotz Gains 26 Essence
Dunnel Gains 22 Essence
Gwyn Gains 16 Essence
Miles gains 13 Essence

After the Orc Veteran falls, everybody takes minute to breathe and make sure there isn't another wave of goblins hiding in the trees. After that, it's the standard mercenary approach to dealing with the dead: go through their pockets and look for loose change.

On orcs and goblins, this isn't exactly pleasant business, and it doesn't yield much. The goblins have a couple of shiny bits of scrap metal or bent coins in their pockets, the kind of bits and bobs that their kind seem to enjoy treating like real money.

The orcs are marginally more interesting, if only because they seem in better condition than many orcs you've seen. Their weapons, though too large to be comfortable in human hands, and too crude to be worth the effort of converting, are in good condition for orc weapons. The edges have been honed, and the limited rust gives evidence that they've been oiled within the last year. Their armor is again too big to be of any use, but appears to have patched together relatively skillfully out of various pillaged materials, and the hide sections have actually been properly cured. The clan symbols tatooed onto their cheeks are also slightly unusual. Two have branding marks, where old clan symbols have been removed via the application of hot iron, and all three now bear the came clan symbol. It is a slightly warped triangle, with a tiny flame at each point.

The orc veteran has the same clan markings, but also more disturbing items. Though slightly stained by his blood, he carries a map and four other sheets of paper on his person. The map is a highly local one, with landmarks that would allow one to travel by forest and still find this section of road. Worse still, your exact campsite is marked on the map. The other four sheets of paper are all crude charcoal drawings- one for each of you. The artist was clearly not a person of great talent, but they still did a good enough job that the resemblance is plain.

This wasn't a random raiding party that happened to be on the roads looking to walay travelers, this was a directed strike party meant to kill you.

Almost makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It does, however, present a dilemma. Clearly, someone knows you're coming and has enough magical ability to find you at a distance. You could try and travel hard, covering as much ground as possible to hopefully reach the manor before another wave gets sent, but Gotz probably wouldn't be able to recuperate fully during hard travel. On the other hand, considering that this particular attack wasn't too much of a threat, you could just keep a steady pace and deal with the next group when and if it comes.

Spoiler: Gwynfor Lloyd (RGU) (click to show/hide)

((Since hope already has systems in it designed to not make it just about killing, but also about debuffing/buffing/ and protecting, Essence gets split along similar lines. The more hope you generate, the larger the share of XP you get at the end. XP itself is determined by an integer division of NPC health by fifty and a straight sum of their max attribute values. The XP it takes you to level up is twice the sum of all your max attributes and the integer division of your health by 25. I'll update the rules to reflect this at some point but, for the moment, my brain is attempting to secede the union. Expect fixes to be delayed.))

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2018, 03:16:04 pm »

I thought health healed at the end of every battle? Since I only picked 5 items rather than the usual 6, can you retroactively give me a set of health potions in my inventory?

After the battle Götz sat down to meditate and recover from his wounds. He uttered a short prayer

Dear Lord

I pray for your aid. I ask for the courage to carry on the mission, and the strength to carry my burden. Our enemies are many, but I know your will is just. Please bless this righteous cause and allow us to triumph over those who would oppose us!

Amen

A little while after, Götz felt rested and refreshed.

Use lesser resurgence on pot and precision. Use two lessers on agility.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2018, 03:31:33 pm »

I thought health healed at the end of every battle? Since I only picked 5 items rather than the usual 6, can you retroactively give me a set of health potions in my inventory?

((Ordinarily, yes, the special case here is that you can travel extra hard in order to potentially avoid an encounter or catch an enemy off guard, but the catch is that you don't get the healing you normally would.

Also, sure, the painkillers are kicking in and I'm feeling nice.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2018, 04:40:44 pm »

"Well, whoever wants us dead knew when we would set the camp and where, so we shouldn't discard the posibility that this man or woman has the ability to see the future or at great distances. Unless we move fast enough to not give them time to send another team, we will be attacked again."

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2018, 10:01:21 pm »

"I am unharmed. It is up to Götz if he wishes to push on the manor, though I consider it wise."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2018, 10:06:43 pm »

Well, this is... Interesting. I, also am in good condition, so if Gotz feels up to it we can continue.

I don't really have anything I need to do, so: No Special Action aside from going along with the group.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2018, 01:26:46 am »

Gotz drinks two of his potions

"I didn't want to waste these so early, but the last thing I need is another ambush. Let's go.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:28 pm »

After several days of marching until your legs burn, shortcutting across the road whenever possible, and making short camps that let you march a few hours into the night and a few hours before dawn, you at last reach the manor. The road here is thin and overgrown, and clearly hasn't been visited by steady traffic of man or wagon in years. It slops gently northward, curving up a small hill and exiting the scrub forest to reveal the manor itself.

A proper hinterland manor, it was built with a low retaining wall of native stone. Not exactly the kind of thing that would discourage a siege force, or even a group of men with stout ladders, but polished smooth and with a recessed curve at the lip to make it more difficult to piggy-back over it. Well, on the parts still standing. Someone has taken the trouble to cut away the vegetation growing around the wall, but several of the sections have large cracks where creepers have eaten into the mortar and rain-freeze has widened the wounds. On the south-east section, one area has fallen apart completely and been 'replaced' with crude spars of twisted lumbers, likely harvested from the warped oaks of the scrub forest. Two crude watchtowers have been built out of the wall as well to keep an eye on the road, crude things of green timber lashed together with hide strips and bark.

The main gate is in a state of disrepair- one of the great doors remains, but the other is missing entirely, and the hinges where it would sit are twisted as though it was struck by a ram.  The orcs, clearly, haven't gotten around to managing a replacement, and so the place where it would sit stands awkwardly open.  There's a pair of orc guards leaning up against the surviving door, attending to their duty with typical orcish diligence. Which is to say that they're playing a game of some kind that involves scratching symbols into the ground with their swords.

There's a pair of archers in each of the guard posts, and they likely will be the greater problem as far as detection goes. Orcs with bows tend to like shooting birds, deer, and anything else that breathes and moves. While not good at it, they appear to greatly enjoy the game of skewering things at a distance, and will probably be keeping a weather eye out for anything squirrel sized or larger that they might be able to shoot.

Worse, there's something very large moving within the walls of the manor's grounds. Judging by the occasional coarse swear uttered in tones far deeper than any man or orc could manage, there's probably an ogre inside. They're stupid creatures, even more so than orcs or goblins, but they're also much larger and stronger. There are stories of gentle ogres being used as beasts of burden, voluntarily exchanging their prodigious strength for a warm place to sleep and a cow to eat, but those stories are a slim minority against the stories of orc warlords and vizhagi training them for war and deploying them as armored shock troops.

Not that it really matters too much. Your job here is to take this manor house as your own, so it's going to have to go down one way or another. You're just going to have to hope that the orc running the manor now didn't have the ability to armor it and train it properly.

In addition to any pre-combat actions, you can start on any of the three southernmost tiles.

Spoiler: Battlemap (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gwynfor Lloyd (RGU) (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:26:01 pm by Draignean »
---

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2018, 08:54:03 pm »

"I'll come in along the road and put some arrows into the two orcs by the gate. Unless someone has a better idea?"

Start at 02,32, swap to my bow
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:45 pm »

"Frontal assault seems pretty good to be honest. If we can defeat everyone at the front gate, they'll have to funnel in through choke points to get us. Hah! There isn't even an entrance big enough for the ogre to reach us. We could kill everyone else and save them for last."

Götz starts at 09,32

((I think I should still have one health point left in my inventory. Also you forgot to give me the ability resurgences I used last turn))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:00 pm »

"Frontal assault seems pretty good to be honest. If we can defeat everyone at the front gate, they'll have to funnel in through choke points to get us. Hah! There isn't even an entrance big enough for the ogre to reach us. We could kill everyone else and save them for last."

Götz starts at 09,32

((I think I should still have one health point left in my inventory. Also you forgot to give me the ability resurgences I used last turn))

((Fixed, also, the ogre can squeeze those gaps.))

((Also realized that I didn't put up the Ogre's moveset. Will do when I'm back on a computer with hexographer.))
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:45:22 pm by Draignean »
---

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2018, 09:28:47 pm »

My main concern is the bowmen. They pose a threat that's hard to remove.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2018, 09:31:33 pm »

"Yeah, they worry me too, but I'm not exactly an expert archer. If I try to go toe-to-toe with them I'll get my ass turned into a pincushion." Miles turns to Gwynfor "Maybe you can zap 'em?"

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:39 pm »

"But the hymnal would let us slay the ogre-a much more pleasant encounter."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8