Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Religious visitors (wiki improvement)  (Read 936 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religious visitors (wiki improvement)
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:41:05 am »

Hey everyone!

I was reading through the wiki, and saw this on the temple page

Visitors won't visit fortresses specifically to hang out in temples, even if they're set to "All visitors welcome". However, they may pass by the temple and socialize with the dwarves there if they came to visit a tavern or library.

Now, I think I remember some visitors a few versions back who "came to pray" or something in those lines. can anyone confirm or explain this?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious visitors (wiki improvement)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:05:05 am »

Yeah, I seem to recall getting at least one visitor in a temple. I think they'd actually come more for information, though. They were on a quest and had stopped by because there'd happened to be a temple dedicated to their god. Or something to that effect.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:09 am »

If your temples are dedicated to a deity (rather than an omni temple) and open to visitors "normal" visitors may claim they've come to perform their typical business and to pray at <temple>. This can happen with sages, questers (diplomacy and/or relax and/or pray), sages, performers, warriors (not sure about monster hunters, but think they can have such a goal as well). When they do come for such a reason, they may take half a year and possibly more on praying before getting to their actual business (including petitioning).

In addition to that, this arc has introduced peddlers, monks, and pilgrims whose primary goal is a dedicated temple, but I think they can have tavern relaxation as a secondary goal. I blocked the two worst temples from external visitors when half my visitor quota was made up of peddlers and monks, primarily aiming at those two temples.

The newly introduced visitor types (which may include something I haven't seen in my fortress) have no function useful to any fortress (unless you're robbing for clothes and books), but are supposed to serve as cover for spies (I'm fairly sure I've had spies visiting my fortress, as someone has taken notes of some traps at entrances, but I've never identified any spies). I don't know if spies can have covers as "normal" tavern visitors.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:22:43 am »

Thank you, ill include the part about pilgrims and monks in a preliminary update for the page.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:36:13 pm »

Though it stands to be confirmed, i do believe that religious visitors will seek out religious artifacts given that they only really adopt these roles upon the death of a notable priest of a generated religious sect to create a holy-relic body part typically within the first 20 years of worldgen, sometimes later or sooner. As such a nessecary method to test i would most likely recommend is to stealthily take the artifact and display it within a public accessible temple.

Though taking the holy relic without a means to actually make one yourself is problematic if the dogmatic civilization in question where the worshipers are focused want it back. So take my comments with a pinch of salt i guess.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »

Related question: If you have a dedicated temple to a specific god, will residents/visitors begin to worship it? Is there a chance they will add that gods to their list of worshiped deities?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:14:45 pm »

I have seen non-worshipers contemplating topics related to a given god, but I haven't been tracking my dwarves closely enough to know whether the god itself was added to any inhabitants.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 03:35:19 pm »

As far as I know (which, as usual, is limited) there are two mechanisms (currently) that causes worship:
- Inherited worship of the mother's list of deities + 1 extra (which can be one already in the list) upon birth.
- A rampaging megabeast (or possibly even just animal) that causes worship. Happens a lot to members of human civs, as far as I've seen. I didn't bother to install any of these so called "gods" in their temples, though, even if I had a fair collection of them.
- Bugged animals that acquire a deity upon becoming a hist fig (and their offspring, according to the first point, although I don't think they add additional deities). This should be fixed in a recent release.
- I'm not sure if gremlins acquire gods when becoming residents and/or citizens. If so, it may or may not be affected by the previous point.

Apart from monster rampages, I don't think there's currently any mechanism to strengthen or weaken worship levels (apart from hacking, of course). That's yet another topic for the seam busting  Myth & Magic arc(s).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 03:42:45 pm »

Related question: If you have a dedicated temple to a specific god, will residents/visitors begin to worship it? Is there a chance they will add that gods to their list of worshiped deities?

I honestly have no idea whether they can be changed because firstly dwarves adopt lifelong religions when they grow up as children, books don't follow the properties to infer religious beliefs, and generally dwarves avoid visiting temples not of their own religion. Id say no but it may be open to further suggestion & development.