Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218977 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2550 on: December 12, 2023, 07:37:58 am »

MDR   Multidrug-Resistant
MDR   Mort de Rire (French: Died of Laughing)
MDR   Managed Detection and Response (cybersecurity service; various companies)
MDR   Monatsschrift für Deutsches Recht (German magazine)
MDR   Motor Driven Roller (conveyors)
MDR   Medical Devices Regulations (various locations)
MDR   Master of Dispute Resolution (Pepperdine University School of Law; Malibu, CA)
MDR   Maternal Death Rate
MDR   Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Carl Jung book)
MDR   Mouvement Démocratique Républicain (Democratic Republican Movement, Rwanda)
MDR   Multifactor Dimensionality Reduction
MDR   Making Dreams Reality
MDR   Mandatory Declassification Review
MDR   Movement for the Defense of the Republic (Cameroon)
MDR   Manhattan Diagnostic Radiology
MDR   Minimum Design Requirement
MDR   Major District Road (India)
MDR   Milestone Decision Review
MDR   Militaire du Rang (all grades under sergeant in the French army)
MDR   Mitglied des Reichstags (German: member of parliament; before 1933)
MDR   Mortgage Default Rate
MDR   Mercury Displacement Relay
MDR   Maximum Detectable Rigidity (spectrometer)
MDR   Miniature Donkey Registry
MDR   Missed Detection Rate
MDR   Materiel Deficiency Report
MDR   Microcircuit Device Reliability
MDR   Minimum Design Rule(s)
MDR   Median Detection Range
MDR   Magic Decoder Ring
MDR   Maximum Distance with Respect to Rank
MDR   Manufacturer Defect Report
MDR   Monthly Demand Rate
MDR   Maintainability Demonstration Report
MDR   Mean Detection Range
MDR   Minimum Display Range (US Air Force)
MDR   Million Dollar Roundtable (insurance industry)
MDR   Microwave Dielectric Resonator
MDR   Movimiento para la de Defensa de la República
MDR   Mandatory Device Reporting Program (Center for Device and Radiological Health; US FDA)
MDR   Maximum Deceleration Rate

yes all 💀(U+1F480)
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: December 13, 2023, 03:57:26 am »

Damn that's a lot of MDR.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2552 on: December 13, 2023, 10:00:49 am »

.... Okay I can't match this London-speak.
Time to deploy.... Belfast-speak.

Aye pipe down mate or we'll do yer knees in. Yer in Belly-fast now, and here's the craic - ye came up the Lagan in a bubble, and we're gonna ship ye back to yer avon-selling da in a shoebox.

Okay so I'm not as good at Belfast slang as I thought  :'(
It takes a lot of effort to look effortless ;)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: December 16, 2023, 05:37:28 am »

Wyll is BG3's Anomen

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: December 16, 2023, 05:48:58 am »

Not an un-apt comparison
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: December 19, 2023, 02:59:01 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: December 19, 2023, 11:40:07 pm »

If someone ain't done it yet, a story where folks actually owe their soul to the company store and end up being used as undead/unaging corporate enforcers could really stand to be written at some point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: December 20, 2023, 04:56:13 am »

Wyll is BG3's Anomen
?

Full of bluster and machismo, pretty toxic, and falling way short of his own ideals of heroism.

Main difference is that Wyll is more self-aware about how he's fucked up at the outset of his story while for Anomen getting the self-aware stage was the good ending of his personal quest.

Granted I am fairly certain, though basic it only on what I've seen in Kagus' "is playing BG3 in area X" steam announcements, that he was pretty much in the beginning of the game when he said that. I also haven't played much more than the first chapter yet, so I am not in the know of where Wyll's story goes from there (keep spoilers vague pls).
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: December 20, 2023, 02:06:24 pm »

I wonder if there is a way for me to accurately estimate how many unique iterations my planet generator can procedurally generate. It must be a truely huge number at this point.

Do you guys know how this can be done? Besides manually counting each and every variable, which is nigh impossible to do so by a human at this point in the project.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: December 20, 2023, 03:32:35 pm »

I wonder if there is a way for me to accurately estimate how many unique iterations my planet generator can procedurally generate. It must be a truely huge number at this point.

Do you guys know how this can be done? Besides manually counting each and every variable, which is nigh impossible to do so by a human at this point in the project.

You could write a program to count each variable and then calculate the total possible combinations.  However, the specifics of the calculations would depend on the variability of your variables.  So you'd have to either have a way to tell how many states each variable can be in by scanning the definitions, or something else along those lines. 

For example, if you have 3 variables, each with 10 states, the total number of possible permutations is 10^3 (1000)   If those are instead binary 2 state variables, then there are 2^3 [8] permutations.  How the variables can be combined and ordered may also impose limiting functions on your calculations. 

Probably the easiest way to figure it out would be to seduce a college math or computer science professor, and get them to pose this question on a midterm or final exam, and then let the students figure it out for you.  I don't think there is going to be a fast way if you are generating planets with more variables than mere mortals can count.

Your answer will be so large, that it will be meaningless though.  Just 100 true/false variables has almost 2 nonillion [2 followed by 30 zeros] possible unique combinations. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:39:36 pm by Schmaven »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: December 20, 2023, 03:40:19 pm »

You could write a program to count each variable and then calculate the total possible combinations.  However, the specifics of the calculations would depend on the variability of your variables.  So you'd have to either have a way to tell how many states each variable can be in by scanning the definitions, or something else along those lines. 

For example, if you have 3 variables, each with 10 states, the total number of possible permutations is 10^3 (1000)   If those are instead binary 2 state variables, then there are 2^3 [8] permutations.  How the variables can be combined and ordered may also impose limiting functions on your calculations. 

Probably the easiest way to figure it out would be to seduce a college math or computer science professor, and get them to pose this question on a midterm or final exam, and then let the students figure it out for you.  I don't think there is going to be a fast way if you are generating planets with more variables than mere mortals can count.

So... I guess I will never know. There are too many variables. There are just too many.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: December 20, 2023, 03:41:37 pm »

How are you going to grade the exam if you haven't got the answer yourself? Only check their work and hope at least one of them, the one you chose as "correct" got it?

What sort of variables does this planet generator permit, by the way?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: December 20, 2023, 03:44:38 pm »

What sort of variables does this planet generator permit, by the way?

Here, see for yourself.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: December 20, 2023, 03:47:19 pm »

How are you going to grade the exam if you haven't got the answer yourself? Only check their work and hope at least one of them, the one you chose as "correct" got it?

With math questions that take 8+ pages to solve, the grading is based more on how you showed your work than on if you got the right answer or not.  It's more of a test of your problem solving approach, so it wouldn't matter much for grading.  But in this case, since we are interested in the answer, you could compare all the answers amongst the top 5% of students, and see how many of them got the same answers.  With a large enough class size, and a solveable problem (assuming this is), the brightest students will find the correct answer. 

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: December 20, 2023, 03:55:20 pm »

(assuming this is)

"BREAKING NEWS! Magmacube's Planet Generator Literally Creates Impossible Math Equations; Mathematicians In Dissarray"

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 180