Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218935 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2490 on: November 09, 2023, 08:08:30 am »

Succubi?
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 09, 2023, 08:20:48 am »

Nah, they're not usually depicted as missing any internal bits or weird junk like that. Whatever it is I'm half-remembering, it's odder than that, probably from european or asian folklore stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2492 on: November 09, 2023, 09:31:14 am »

Nah, they're not usually depicted as missing any internal bits or weird junk like that. Whatever it is I'm half-remembering, it's odder than that, probably from european or asian folklore stuff.
COS I AINT NO HOLLABACK GIRL I AINT NO HOLLABACK GIRL

I think there is a Japanese one where they have the whole body, but are missing the back. They look very attractive from the front but will kill you if you look at them from behind where you can see, they are in fact a hollow back girl

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 09, 2023, 03:28:35 pm »

Swedish folklore has the Skogsrå or Skogsfrun (Forest-Ruler and Lady of the Forest respectively), which is a spirit that appears as a beautiful, possibly naked, woman with a few telltale traits that she isn't human such as a troll's tail. Often she is depicted as hollow, in the way that a hollow tree is hollow, which could only be seen from her having a hole in her back that she would hide. She was a dangerous creature that enjoyed playing with people and could make them wander lost in the forest, trick or hurt them.

I'm not super certain but i think it is likely that as her name implies in earlier permutations of the myth she was the personification and/or ruler of the forest itself, but in much of the later (ie 17th-19th century) folklore that was preserved she has lost some of the "regality" that would imply. She has a few "sister spirits" like for example the Bergsrå/Bergsfrun (Mountain-ruler/Lady of the Mountain respectively) which retained their "we have to respect and revere these spirits and they will aid us or else they will become angry with us and hurt us" atmosphere.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 15, 2023, 05:01:58 pm »

Why. Just... why. Is the windshield wiper controls not also light controls. There's, like. No. Situation where your wipers should be turned on and your lights off.

So, just. Take that out of drivers' hands, it's clearly too many steps for like half the people on the road. Turning on wipers should also turn on lights.
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 15, 2023, 10:09:01 pm »

What? No, please do not encourage coupled controls.

Also, apparently you don’t use your washer fluid or have a car splash a puddle on you: there are *many* situations which warrant a swipe of the wipers without a need to change wiper state. Plus daytime running lights are pretty bright these days.

And nighttime lamps, even low beams, are now bright enough that they should be regulated… oncoming traffic is basically a hazard now at night with the LED lamps.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 16, 2023, 04:11:27 am »

I hate the LED head lights, damned things are like having the brights on even when they aren't.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 16, 2023, 08:40:31 am »

It's crazy - I will often flash my lights at people thinking they have their brights on - and then they flash their brights back at me.  Because of course I didn't need what little vision I had...

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 16, 2023, 12:27:42 pm »

They need those lights.
That's why you are in direct competition with the rest of society.
Because if it's not you it will be them.

You can substract every individual's personal drama from the sum of things, it's irrelevant at scale, the entirety needs to be thought of in terms of game theoretical advantages. That's why we can't have nice things, that's why we don't deserve to be saved.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 01:13:01 pm by dragdeler »
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 17, 2023, 03:44:23 am »

I will often flash my lights at people thinking they have their brights on - and then they flash their brights back at me.
I've never really tried to do that since most of the people that do it to me do it right as I'm passing them so they purposely blind me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 17, 2023, 04:58:22 pm »

I just realized that I am the 428th in the post count list.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 17, 2023, 07:11:12 pm »

oh no

i need to be overtaken by at least a few thousand users.. the posting button is on the bottom right folks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 07:24:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 17, 2023, 07:53:09 pm »

Took me a while to figure out how to find that count... I'm 537.  Huh.  Really low on posts per day though :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 17, 2023, 09:22:11 pm »

Thing I noticed is if you sort the member page by post count, I, uh, am the one on the first page with the oldest registration date.

Next oldest is toonyman, a few months later in '08.

There's some other '07s on the second page, though. Didn't check to see how far back you have to go to find '06 or earlier...
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 18, 2023, 03:20:39 am »

I noticed that I'm the newest member on the first page of the post counts by having joined in 2017 with the next newest guy having joined in 2015.

I'm also right under Frumple on that page as well.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 180