Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218966 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2445 on: September 02, 2023, 07:15:32 am »

Counting together the saturdays I still have to survive it's longer than what time I had to get over the tear in my foots joint capsule, which still flares up after about 5km of walking or equivalent effort... which still hasnt unswollen to the same size as the other foot.

I have problems, and I deal with them in the worst way possible, and that's on me and it's fair to withhold empathy on the basis of that... But like there it fucking is: I have no sense of proportion... mmh yes so reasonable, more noticetime to fill in more cash get closer to schedule change for the worse (saturdays remain, instead mondays off and have the other days ressemble more to a saturday, big nope) yes big adulting time compromise, redefine your way to success.

It has been two months I injured myself do I want it to feel like it does today in december still? Nobody is going to give me my physical and mental health back, and wtf am I going to build my quad in winter for?! So I need to build a shed allready before actually using the cursed bicycle.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 12:26:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2446 on: September 09, 2023, 05:36:51 pm »

I can't stop thinking about this.

English: "Is the principal a principal?"

Turkish translation: "Müdür müdür müdür?"

LMAO
Murdur? Murdur? Murdur?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 03, 2023, 07:52:59 am »

So there are recently some more "youth movements" suing governments about climate change, citing things such as human rights violations, needing to escalate banning carbon-based fuels, etc.

I'm not sure I understand the human rights angle.  I can see a stewardship angle, or a public health angle, but human rights feels like a stretch.

I'm also cynically not sure those youth understand that, in all likelihood, they literally would not be able to eat if there was no carbon-based fuel.  The only reason they exist is very likely because of the fossil-fuel industry they deride.  Feels kind of ironic in a way.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 03, 2023, 08:35:03 am »

People who exist because of unsustainable growth can still say "maybe this unsustainable growth is bad".  Especially when they live in the imperial core, where the growth and quality of life (yes, THEIR quality of life) was and is made possible by wealth extraction from de-facto colonies.

It's actually not hypocritical to criticize bad practices which benefit them.  Some would say it's a moral responsibility once they understand what's going on.

The use of hydrocarbons is not inherently racist or colonial, but it sure does facilitate and demand wealth extraction from "poor" yet resource-rich areas to maintain the expected unsustainable growth.  This situation obviously gets worse over time.  Some of the public health issues leak into the core, which hopefully wakes people (usually young people, not "youth movements" but youth movements) to the REAL COST of life in the core.  The cost to themselves, to the climate, and disproportionately to the people at home but mostly abroad who suffer to keep this engine turning ever faster.

The latter cost is largely measured in human rights violations, yes.  Nobody who can afford the time to be informed is actually skeptical of that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 08:36:53 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 03, 2023, 08:55:28 am »

Going through the courts is per definition unserious... I think the youngins should collectively unsubscribe to being organ donors.
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 03, 2023, 09:32:23 am »

So I agree that abusive business practices and abusive governments are human rights issues. But I don't think fixing climate policy will address human rights issues, so it confounds two real problems.

"Fixing" climate change won't eliminate human rights violations.  "Fixing" human rights violations won't address climate change.

. . .

I was just getting ready to comment that climate change is really an economic issue, not a rights issue.  But then I realized that perhaps all economic issues are indeed human rights issues, because economic issues often boil down to what you let individuals do, what agency you give them, and how you restrict (or don't) access to resources, and how you manage the side effects of use of resources and waste (as in, low-value byproducts of other economic activity).  So I may change my stance.  Thinking on it some more.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 03, 2023, 10:03:30 am »

I think it's just a weak argument, not that it's wrong, but it's a little to real, too obvious, too logic that could come from a child (I don't say that derogatively, most 10 y.o. would probably be just rulers, our shit mindset has to be learned)...

The only way that could ever work is with a collective feindbild (concept of ennemy) and in no way shape or form is this clown society ever going to be based enough to simply agree that that biggest beneficiaries are the people who most likely need to serve as scapegoats... We're all guilty but the symbolism would matter like when they throw the book at some random shlob to send a sign. There will be no nuremberg process for big oil executives... We will nuancetoll the dictionnary into utter insignificance before that happens.
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 03, 2023, 10:15:27 am »

So I agree that abusive business practices and abusive governments are human rights issues. But I don't think fixing climate policy will address human rights issues, so it confounds two real problems.

"Fixing" climate change won't eliminate human rights violations.  "Fixing" human rights violations won't address climate change.

. . .

I was just getting ready to comment that climate change is really an economic issue, not a rights issue.  But then I realized that perhaps all economic issues are indeed human rights issues, because economic issues often boil down to what you let individuals do, what agency you give them, and how you restrict (or don't) access to resources, and how you manage the side effects of use of resources and waste (as in, low-value byproducts of other economic activity).  So I may change my stance.  Thinking on it some more.
Huh... yeah I think I agree with all that.  I think if you drill far enough into any human rights issue, it becomes about resource distribution and thus economics.  Certainly when it comes to geopolitics and also domestic labor negotiation.

Even the patriarchy which fuels misogyny and queerphobia is all about control, and isn't that need for control a result of fear of scarcity?  Maybe I'm being a LITTLE reductionist there.  (I'm being very reductionist there, but also optimistic).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 03, 2023, 05:46:39 pm »

For what it's worth, at least part of the uptick in litigation probably comes from the UN's (least I think it was the UN, it was one of the major international orgs if not them specifically) fairly recent recognition of AGW as systemic violence against children (which it 100% is, both in terms of who gets hit hardest and who's going to have to deal with that shit later). There's probably more of a basis (or at least visibility and subsequent willingness) to take that shit to court because of that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 03, 2023, 11:39:03 pm »

Cheesecake is pie.

The opposite of "woke" is "sloop". Sailing is the least woke activity there is.

The use of hydrocarbons is not inherently racist or colonial, but it sure does facilitate and demand wealth extraction from "poor" yet resource-rich areas to maintain the expected unsustainable growth.

As opposed to mining rare earth metals required for solar, wind, and Li-ion batteries? With child and slave labor?

Hydrocarbons are at least widely available in the developed world. Some sources are in wildlife preserves, which is the stewardship issue, not human rights.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 11:53:29 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 05, 2023, 03:05:06 am »

As opposed to mining rare earth metals required for solar, wind, and Li-ion batteries? With child and slave labor?
I've also read about that, apparently they mine that shit by hand with no safety stuff and slowly die from the dust the crap kicks up while mining it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 05, 2023, 07:21:23 am »

that sounded off, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure lithium tends to not be mined by hand in most operations, you mean cobalt which is used in some batteries but increasingly less so because of the costs associated with it, lithium is comparatively plentiful and usually seperated from sand with techniques that involve water
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 05, 2023, 05:54:48 pm »

The recent push of litigation, like always, is the combination of funding to assist the litigators and media attention on the issue.

In layman's terms, it's a publicity stunt. Anyone remember when God was sued?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 05, 2023, 07:46:56 pm »

Reading "Princess: The Hopeful" rulebook in place of a proper book before sleep. Random sleep-deprived thoughts:
1) "I'm going to save the world! And by world I mean AMERICA!" Well, what is there to expect from presumably american fanfic writers writing about presumably american wannabe superheroes?
2) They seem to both expect reader to know base WoD by heart and have put in way too little links. Pretty confusing read, that.
3) From outsider's perspective, tabletop RPGs uncannily resemble Dominions modding - it is easier to make Yet Another Obscure Game than to ever play one. Any one.
4) There are often both staggeringly high and staggeringly low examples of lives and goals in the same sentence. But those are, ah, examples.
5) Haven't read to the part that tells how that it is supposed to happen (it is a rambling read, although i assume the answer is the same as direct communication with dieties in D&D - basically never), but it must be kinda rough on a DM to impersonate a Queen, which is to say, manifest perfection. But not for long, not really, and disrepancy between character and player stats is known and expected, so consequence for doing it totally wrong is "Come on, man!", not being torn limb from limb as it would be IRL.

Only somewhat related to the above:
I will try to wait at least 7 hours before starting the game. I will wait at most 24h.
I can't.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:32:01 pm by MCreeper »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 06, 2023, 02:26:48 am »

you mean cobalt
Yeah that's the one, couldn't remember what it was at the time other than it had something to do with the batteries.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 180