Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218891 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1470 on: May 03, 2021, 10:45:33 am »

I wanna see a CPU with pointless instructions. For instance, a sin(x) instruction that only allows integer x, and outputs only integers, rounding randomly. x is still in radians. A "vector" multiplication instruction that only operates on 1-dimensional vectors. A floor(x) instruction that only works on integer x.
Youuu should look into this game called TIS-100.  Its an odd programming puzzle game that uses assembly in some sort of multi cell/core architecture.  Each puzzle is about making the machine do different operations.  Like you had a grid of CPUs that can run in parallel, but each one only holds a handful of instructions and only two memory slots, so complex operations required multiple working together and passing values around.

I remember getting stuck on one about determining if random numbers were prime or not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: May 03, 2021, 10:45:53 am »

There should be a website for cataloging websites because i want to visit new websites but i don't want to visit a dangerous site

Like Wikipedia but for websites

Just one big list of websites put in different categories

Like maybe one day i'll be like "I want to see a new forum" and then i could go to the forum category and find one i have never seen before

Or maybe i con be like "Where are all the pet lovers at" and i can search the pets category

Or maybe "I want to find some fellas to play D&D with" and i could put D&D in the search bar and it could be like "Oh you want some D&D stuff oh ok here you go" and then it would get links to different D&D websites like D&D Beyond and other stuff

The site can also give suggestions based on your search

IE:

Me: "I want to see guns"

Websites.com: "Ok here's a site under the Firearms category"

Websites.com "This site has homophobic slurs on the home page though"

Me: "Fuck that i want a new one"

Websites.com: "Ok here's a site for liberal gun enthusiasts"

Me: "No i want a non-political gun forum"

Websites.com: "Ok here you go"

Something like this could work it's hard to find new stuff without clicking/searching random URL's and something like this would make it easy and safer
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:23:47 am by ArchimedesWojak »
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: May 03, 2021, 02:30:18 pm »

So, uh... google?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 03, 2021, 03:00:07 pm »

So, uh... google?

Google and other search engines have a bad habit of giving unrelated results and occasionally lead to malware and other junk

I just want a way to find new websites in a safe easy and quick way without having to deal with search engine bullshit

Think of what im thinking as more like a database
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:04:05 pm by ArchimedesWojak »
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 03, 2021, 03:22:46 pm »

Sounds like you have discovered the idea for a lifetime's work, ArchimedesWojak.  Get busy and get it started!   ;)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 03, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »

Sounds like you have discovered the idea for a lifetime's work, ArchimedesWojak.  Get busy and get it started!   ;)

Alright then so be it

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 03, 2021, 11:49:39 pm »

That's just Yahoo back in the olden days (i.e before I was born), right? If you check the Wayback Machine and go all the way back to 1996, it's both a search engine and a link directory. I remember reading this old-ass book (Windows 95 was the recommended OS) about how to use the Internet, and there were a bunch of link directories in it. I think Yahoo was one of them before becoming a search engine.

My confidence in a subject is proportional to how much of an ass-beating I'll get during the test. If I'm stressing over how I haven't studied enough, I'm likely to do very well. If I'm confident that I'll do well, my pride and dignity gets nuked from orbit as I stumble through the questions.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: May 04, 2021, 07:19:00 am »

That's just Yahoo back in the olden days (i.e before I was born), right? If you check the Wayback Machine and go all the way back to 1996, it's both a search engine and a link directory. I remember reading this old-ass book (Windows 95 was the recommended OS) about how to use the Internet, and there were a bunch of link directories in it. I think Yahoo was one of them before becoming a search engine.

Yes this! My idea is to create basically a database of link directories to various websites so that forums like this are easy to find

Do you understand the sheer hours it took me  to find this forum! It would have been easier to go to a database sort forums alphabetically and then scroll down to B.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:41:09 am by ArchimedesWojak »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: May 04, 2021, 08:42:07 am »

And the implication there is that you came here as a result of actively searching for new forums. That's... new. I think it's within reason to say that Bay12 General Discussion gets its new members mostly by DF or by word-of-mouth. I'll have to add that to the possible answers to "Why did you come here?" (which needs rephrasing) in a Bay12 census if I ever bother with it.

I think that's an interesting kind of user. Someone who bounces around communities, actively seeking them out. A 'nomad' or 'shooting star', if you will. I'm the exact opposite; I refuse to join anything without a really good reason, and I actively avoid participating in them if forced. I don't think I have enough brainpower to juggle even one more community; any possible alternatives need to be good enough to replace Bay12, which I don't see happening.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 04, 2021, 10:06:13 am »

"Why did you come here?"

Accidental Discovery

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: May 04, 2021, 10:15:16 pm »

People who share code for programming languages (that aren't like Piet) in image form rather than text are the scum of the earth.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 08, 2021, 06:59:02 am »

I don't even remember how I first came here.

Then I spent ~2 years being a troll, a wonder I didn't get banned. Ugh.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 08, 2021, 07:14:16 am »

People who share code for programming languages (that aren't like Piet) in image form rather than text are the scum of the earth.

This speaks to me on an emotional level

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 08, 2021, 08:01:32 am »

I don't even remember how I first came here.

Then I spent ~2 years being a troll, a wonder I didn't get banned. Ugh.

I mean, everyone has their own pasts that they're ashamed of, no? I started off because I was interested in a glitchy fortress idea that some people were juggling around. I think my (relatively-minor) involvement in it was a bit embarrassing looking back, but I had fun. That's all that matters, right? You can't change the past, so the only thing you can do now is to accept that it happened. Acceptance is the last stage of the stages of grief.

If the start is defined by "first post in General Discussion", I literally barged in there in multiple threads. You know how people do PTWs in threads they're interested in? The intent of all those first posts, more-or-less, were PTWs. Neutral, uncontroversial posts that allowed me to gain a foothold.

I remember staying around in the Sad and Mildly Upset (back when it was called "Mildly Sad") threads and posting stuff that reflected my... fragile mental state at the time. I wasn't doing too good back then. I could go back and check, but I don't really want to be exposed to that much of my own sadness and instability at once. I think it bled over into every post I made, even those not in GD. Go ahead, look at those posts. I just don't have the heart to look back at them.

There, I'm not really embarrassed, as much as I feel pity. I remember regretting every post I made back in early-to-mid 2019, but I think that same regret is a reflection of my own validation-seeking nature at the time. I've elaborated on the middle school trauma numerous times before, so I don't think it bears repeating here. They were not good times.

I don't want to diagnose you with anything, but is your apparent fixation with your past (however bad it was and/or how bad you were) echoing something bad that happened in your life? I don't mean any judgement with that question. I just think that if you talk about it so much, I think it's worth looking inwards as to why. I had a fixation with my past that didn't quite die down until around March this year, and it was only through a mixture of introspection and seeking external help that it's reached record lows.

I don't expect you to like what I'm saying here. Just keep it in mind, because themes that are recurring like this might have a deeper underlying meaning.

(...and that's the 3rd time I've shown concern for people in a 3-month span...)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 08, 2021, 09:29:53 am »

I used to talk about it way more.

It's just... I got up to some REALLY messed-up shit behind the scenes back then. It wasn't shared here (not the Roblox thing, that was before what I am talking about), it's mostly limited to Discord DMs with my best friend and a few obscure servers. And the guilt remains subconsciously. Sorry if I still talk about that too much.

So yes I guess I am traumatized.

This thread is about to hit 100 pages. I'm proud.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 09:36:05 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 180