Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218989 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1320 on: January 08, 2021, 12:30:18 pm »

I can't argue with people because I'm too contrarian.
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 08, 2021, 02:23:29 pm »

I can't argue with people because I'm too contrarian.

No you aren't.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 09, 2021, 04:03:06 am »

There are a lot of conversational stances you can use, and trying to find common ground and point out nuance is a good default. Just always stay mindful of when you might have to slip into a more sledgehammer tack. Brutality can be a form of elegance, after all~
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 10, 2021, 06:00:25 am »

Brutality can be a form of elegance, after all~

~his hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 10, 2021, 07:31:08 pm »

If someone was assigned the gender of "X" (which I guess is the bureaucratic equivalent for nonbinary/intersex/whatever) at birth, and they decide later on that they wish to be male/female, does that, in the most technical sense, make them trans? I'm not really one to scrutinize whether someone's trans or not, but I think it's an interesting edge case. If "trans" refers to biological sex, then it's a 50/50 most of the time, but if "trans" refers to assigned gender at birth, then it's technically the case that they are trans.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 12, 2021, 08:10:05 am »

Looking at the biweekly government and it's corona infodump, the best part of hand language interpreters is how clear their facial body language is.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 12, 2021, 12:56:03 pm »

@methylatedspirit
It's an interesting question, and the answer is yes they are trans.  The reason people go by "gender assigned at birth" is because "biological sex" is poorly defined, with many edge cases.  Most people have XX or XY chromosomes, sure, but not everyone.  Some people's genitals don't "match" their chromosomes.  You already know about intersex people, but I'm just over-explaining this for those who don't know.

So that's why people compare against "gender assigned at birth" instead.  Honestly I wasn't aware of people being assigned "X" at birth, maybe that varies by country. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 12, 2021, 08:50:43 pm »

It's more of a hypothetical, just trying to see at what point certain definitions start breaking down and start producing results that would be considered odd. Is it not odd that someone assigned "X" at birth, but later transitioning to male/female would still be considered trans? I dunno, that's a bit odd to me, even if that's literally the definition. I'm more worried about the stigma associated with being trans for such a person, more than anything else. Personally, I'd just ignore the "trans" part entirely, because people are more complex than if their current gender matches their birth gender.

I mean, that idea isn't completely out of nowhere; I've heard of parents who raise their kids gender-neutral. The idea that someone may be assigned "X" some day might come some day.

I do disagree with either of those, though. I hate the gender binary as much as the next enby, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go about it. A bit too revolutionary for my tastes. It's one thing for teens and adults to be nonbinary, but to force that onto young children? I mean, the same argument could be applied regarding assigning binary genders to children, but still. Personally, I'd rather just assign male/female to children first, but change society itself so that transitioning in the general case is considered perfectly normal, rather than an unusual "thing" that only "certain" people do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:56:52 pm by methylatedspirit »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 12, 2021, 08:57:18 pm »

Clearly we should use nanomachines to edit everyone's minds in real time and simply edit out any references to gender.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 12, 2021, 09:11:42 pm »

Oh hello frustrated me from ~2017

@methylatedspirit
The theoretical case I was imagining was a non-intersex person born with an apparent sex, whose parents for some reason assigned them the opposite gender - and that gender happened to be correct.  Pure fiction of course, but I too like probing edge cases - my software dev background, probably.

I decided that that person, assigned the correct gender at birth, would not be trans.  Obviously they would still need trans-associated medical care, but I strongly stand by the idea that medical transition is not a requirement of being trans.
I'd *like* some, but that's neither here nor there.
No acts of transition are required for someone to be trans.  People staying stealthy are valid.  People without proper health care are valid.  Assigned Female At Birth people are valid (they tend to get drowned out in some spaces, which is a shame).

I suppose I am very "revolutionary" about this.  But adults forcing any gender on their children, including NB, isn't revolutionary.  It's totally fine to raise one's kids according to what seems to be their gender, while being supportive of their gender exploration.

In other words I think we agree - transitioning, gender exploration, should be normalized. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:20 pm »

I literally thought a gender reveal party was a party thrown by the parents of someone coming out as trans. I also thought "ACAB" stood for "assigned cop at birth."

. . . whoo!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 13, 2021, 04:09:10 am »

No acts of transition are required for someone to be trans.  People staying stealthy are valid.  People without proper health care are valid.  Assigned Female At Birth people are valid (they tend to get drowned out in some spaces, which is a shame).

Then what is universal within trans people, then? Gender dysphoria? I couldn't be bothered to change what I look like, since that part of my brain's basically fried, but I do get annoyed if you gender me directly with he/him or she/her pronouns. Indirect gendering through "dude", "man" (don't tell me I'm a man, though) and others, I'll allow. The idea of me having any gender that isn't "No." doesn't sit well with me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:57 am »

Number what, though?
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 13, 2021, 08:03:16 am »

"No.", as in a sentence with "No" and ".". The period's for emphasis, because I do not want to be gendered at all.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 13, 2021, 08:07:55 am »

I know, I was just trying to be funny. I thought you would answer I AM NUMBER ONE!!! or something similar :P
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 180