Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 183

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 270488 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1215 on: November 13, 2020, 01:46:29 am »

Maybe he has low cha, but maxed out bluff and uses it on himself and everyone else.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 13, 2020, 02:18:56 am »

Maybe he has low cha, but maxed out bluff and uses it on himself and everyone else.

I think his main audience just has low wis/low sense motive/actually want to believe what he says (circumstance bonus).

Look how often his lies have many holes or fold under even basic scrutiny.  They aren't good lies, but with who a con man usually targets, they don't really have to be.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 14, 2020, 04:48:16 pm »

Interesting how a president can cause people to think of more DND stats to add

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 14, 2020, 04:58:49 pm »

The SPECIAL system has always been superior to DND's utilitarian 6-stat system.  For those who can't help but overthink things.

Because Wis and Cha are complete nonsense.  They're both willpower, but technically only WIS governs willpower saves in 3.5.  Charisma got a save in 5e, but every stat did.  If Charisma is force of ego, what is willpower?

Wisdom is Perception.  Accurately seeing the natural world, as a druid or ranger.  Tying it into divine casting is a stretch that makes me uncomfortable.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 14, 2020, 05:02:59 pm »

Its the same way "Willpower" is considered an emotion according to Green Lanterns.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 14, 2020, 05:14:19 pm »

Having played many divine casters, including a Favored Soul, I have to wonder how divine magic works in DND.

The implication is that it's about Wisdom.  Perception.
That means a cleric is someone who "observes the rituals", right?
No!
That is someone who perceives the rituals, and knows how they work.  And executes them properly.  In just the right way.
The Gods observe and bless us, but their gaze is divided.

That's how I justify Wisdom for divine casting.
A con.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 14, 2020, 05:22:16 pm »

The SPECIAL system has always been superior to DND's utilitarian 6-stat system.  For those who can't help but overthink things.

Because Wis and Cha are complete nonsense.  They're both willpower, but technically only WIS governs willpower saves in 3.5.  Charisma got a save in 5e, but every stat did.  If Charisma is force of ego, what is willpower?

Wisdom is Perception.  Accurately seeing the natural world, as a druid or ranger.  Tying it into divine casting is a stretch that makes me uncomfortable.

Wisdom/Willpower is inwards/defensive willpower. Your sense of yourself.

Charisma is external willpower. The force you project on the world and others. They are as easily separateble as Strength and Constitution.

And wisdom isn't just perception. Yes, it covers your ability to use your senses. But it also covers, well, wisdom. To make a play with words -- not just the ability to sense the world but also to make sense of the world. The ability to come to greater understandings from smaller pieces.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 14, 2020, 05:26:24 pm »

I understand where you're coming from.  I really do.  But this:
And wisdom isn't just perception. Yes, it covers your ability to use your senses. But it also covers, well, wisdom. To make a play with words -- not just the ability to sense the world but also to make sense of the world. The ability to come to greater understandings from smaller pieces.
That's intelligence.  That's what it means to take perception data and build a theory/law.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 14, 2020, 05:31:56 pm »

Intelligence in dnd very often means "reading books and doing math". It is having access to information more than using that information, um, intelligently.
Though to be honest there's a lot left up to interpretation. Like most of dnd...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:04 pm »

Wisdom/Willpower is inwards/defensive willpower. Your sense of yourself.

Charisma is external willpower. The force you project on the world and others. They are as easily separateble as Strength and Constitution.
And this is also true.  Wis/willpower is the force of one's belief in their senses.  Some people don't trust their senses at all!  Other people keep a keen ear.

Charisma - I am not qualified, but I would say it is one's belief in ideas.
Which almost seems like a intelligence thing, but it very much isn't.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 14, 2020, 05:36:49 pm »

Charisma saves are for when someone tries to banish you but instead you flip them the bird and scream FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 14, 2020, 05:38:21 pm »

And this is also true.  Wis/willpower is the force of one's belief in their senses.  Some people don't trust their senses at all!  Other people keep a keen ear.

Charisma - I am not qualified, but I would say it is one's belief in ideas.
Which almost seems like a intelligence thing, but it very much isn't.

Edit: also, something is really weird regarding posting. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:47:02 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 14, 2020, 06:46:55 pm »

What is it? I was able to post normally.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 16, 2020, 08:27:45 am »

The Pentium 4 exists in a limbo of obsolescence. Imagine a timeline with all the processors on it. To the left of it, you have the Pentium III, which is old enough to be considered retro. To the right of it, you have the legendary Core 2 series, which runs circles around the Pentium 4, and is nigh on compatible with any software that runs on a P4. When people want to play mid-to-late-2000s games on fully-compatible hardware, they always go for a Core 2. Never a P4.

This is why I use the Pentium 4 as the butt of jokes and as shorthand for "bad computer". It's an easy target, since it's been so overshadowed by its successor that no-one would be caught dead trying to defend this thing. It's joined the Hall of Room Heaters, right next to the AMD Bulldozer processors and the GTX 480.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:46:22 am by methylatedspirit »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 19, 2020, 07:55:49 am »

It occurred to me earlier that the phrase "saints and sinners", while sounding like a diverse mix of goody-goody types and absolute cads, is actually such a broad term as to describe literally everyone. 'Cause the only people who aren't sinners are literal saints, right, and even most saints probably have sinned at least a little at some point.   
I don't know exactly where I've heard the term "saints and sinners" in the past, but I feel like it probably gets misused a fair bit.   

...That's all. I've had a few random thoughts lately that I woulda kinda liked to post here, but I haven't gotten around to signing into Bay12 on my phone yet and it requires effort to trek to my computer just to shitpost. So I guess I just forget them.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 183