Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 183

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 270914 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2415 on: August 12, 2023, 03:08:03 am »

I hate Rafadan Tayfa. Not in a "this sucks and it is awful" kinda way.

You know that feeling when you look at something really cute and want to kill it violently? That is my hatred for this stupid fucking kids show. The characters are annoyingly good at endearing themselves to the viewer, and their faces are so baby-like.

I love it. I want to tear it apart.
Wanting to murder the shit out of kids cartoon characters is the healthy and natural response to most kids cartoons.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: August 12, 2023, 04:50:44 am »

When I'm elected king my first decree will be the forbiddance of screaming, shouting, and hollering in all children's cartoons forever
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 12, 2023, 05:14:04 am »

I would ban children's cartoons altogether. Those I like I'd proclaim adult cartoons.

Hmm. Come to think of it, maybe banning children would be simpler.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: August 15, 2023, 12:24:28 am »

Observations show that moths that acquire the lamp and do not die (because its an LED), will sit on the lamp and do nothing.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: August 15, 2023, 04:10:14 am »

A friend was talking about some stuff that's happening in the world that apparently the Simpsons predicted a decade ago, which reminded me of the other times that happened and it got me thinking of a story idea.

So there's this shadowy cabal of massive Simpsons fans that's working behind the scenes of the world at large that's trying to make as many of the random things the show 'predicted' come true. Orchestrating revolutions, murders, rises to fame and pretty much everything else they can to align the world to the one in the show. Once it's perfectly aligned the eldritch entity that embodies the show will manifest in our reality and do something or other.
A different twist on cosmic horrors invading reality I'd say.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: August 16, 2023, 03:48:30 am »

And then the world will be swallowed by goofy yellow comic tentacles... Reality outrunning satire checks out. Careful with those hypotheses.
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: August 16, 2023, 04:35:34 am »

That moment when you realize that Cthulhu isn't as powerful an eldritch entity as Homer Simpson is.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: August 16, 2023, 05:07:39 am »

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 16, 2023, 11:19:49 am »

Simply Irresistible is a song about meeting someone into pegging for the first time and finding out you're really, really into it. "Breaking every law" includes the sodomy laws that were still on the books in the states at a minimum when it was released.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 16, 2023, 11:06:24 pm »

Simply Irresistible is a song about meeting someone into pegging for the first time and finding out you're really, really into it.
Wow, I didn’t know that. I wonder if Mary Harron meant something by putting it in the cab scene in American Psycho.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 17, 2023, 12:00:22 am »

Uh, just to make sure it's clear, I'm not saying that with anything approaching actual authority or likely accuracy. It was just a random thought on hearing the song again after a long period of not. It's not impossible it's true, but I'm not aware of anything regarding Palmer that makes it particularly likely (sadly? It's a much spicier and subversive song if it's true, which is generally pretty neat).

... it really does fit remarkably well from the presentation and the lyrics, though. Almost all of it fits really well into a femdom framing at a minimum, and a fair amount of how it's phrased suggests pretty strongly the "inscrutable methods" involve penetration happening to the singer for the first time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 12:03:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 17, 2023, 12:49:29 pm »

"there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" is like: sigh yeah so? unproductive statement that can do nothing but increase the mental burden on the individual at no benefit, since no next course of action can be derived from it...

ON THE OTHER HAND

"there exists no ethical tourism" is still largely considered too extreme of a position to hold, even by radical leftists but there we have some truism that should be fairly obvious to everybody and that is extremly actionable. Sure travel is a normal fact of life, we need to get from A to B and and we get to choose what A and B represent without having to justify a necessity... But tourism is not travel, tourism is the commodification of travel and besides a bit of employment, provides nothing to us as a collective. Whereas it's disadvantages are all too obvious.
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 17, 2023, 10:12:11 pm »

I was thinking about this just now in the actual shower, and I felt like it deserved an airing.

So, for mystifying reasons, many people refuse to accept that Columbus had no earthly clue where he had ended up and continue to refer to native Americans as "Indians". They also, like everyone else, call Indians "Indians". This is actually sort of fascinating. Not in and of itself, but because, notwithstanding, nobody (within margin of error) confuses the two - you never hear horror stories of anyone making an awkward attempt to engage his Mumbaikar doctor in small talk about peace pipes or pueblos. Regardless of using the same word, people still recognize the distinction right in front of their faces; even though all Indians are Indians, Indians are not the same as Indians. We might say, Indians· are not the same as Indians*.
That may sound obvious, but it's interesting because it underscores the fact that Orwell was wrong. Language doesn't control thought. Words are just arbitrary content-free symbols that don't actually "mean" anything - and replacing one word with another consistently is a semantic null-op. Despite using the same word, people will look at one person and see that person, and at another person and see a different person - adding native Americans to the colloquial definition of "Indian" in the 15th century didn't change how people thought about Indians, but how people thought about the word.
Naturally, this means that the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis was always obviously fraudulent, in case anyone ever really believed that. I think it's a pretty uplifting message, that Newspeak wouldn't actually work and calling something by a name doesn't change the thing or how people view it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 18, 2023, 05:32:15 am »

Linguists hate him. See how with this one simple shower thought MS has exposed their fraudulent claims.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 183