Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster hunters question  (Read 839 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Monster hunters question
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:33:32 am »

So I recently found Kruggsmash on YouTube (you should definitely go check him out) and in his most recent fortress Monsterkiller (I only watched the first two episodes) he only has Monster hunters arriving as visitors and it doesn't seem like he set up a tavern or any special thing... could someone explain?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster hunters question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:17 am »

Monster hunters are attracted to your fortress when you open up the caverns for the first time on embark (not ever), while they do like hanging out at taverns and temples like any other visitor, they'll rove around bashing underground monsters and typically dying horribly in the process as part of their long-term resident job.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:08:58 am »

Oh ok thanks
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 10:13:15 pm »

I've attracted a few. They mostly seem to hang around my tavern and library forever, but I've had a couple make their way down to the caverns and get themselves killed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:57:08 am »

The buggers don't have any supplies and aren't making use of anything in the caverns, so their trips are short before they get back up to get a drink. They can also socialize and decide that's more fun than going down to the caverns when you open those up.

Still, if your play style is such that you keep your fortress open to the caverns even when those aren't secured, and don't mind risking your dorfs rushing down into danger to pick up slayer pieces (or the occasional litter caused by the slayers actually managing to kill something before getting themselves killed), the visitite might be worth the effort.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 05:26:43 am »

They have social and religious needs like anybody else, whether those needs are being fufilled properly so they can just get on with the job is quite another thing  bordering on territory of a bug like the report i have here on Mantis.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 01:32:32 pm »

when you say underground monsters, what are we talking here? FB and such? or my future livestock of jabberers and crundles?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »

All of those things
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 03:16:33 pm »

Everything that moves in the caverns except leaving visitors/merchants/diplomats and members of your fortress.