Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Booze droppers  (Read 2411 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Booze droppers
« on: April 01, 2018, 08:10:46 am »

I wanted to see how you guys do booze droppers for isolated dwarfs.... Last time I tried it demanded a shit tone of micro management....
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze droppers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:12:28 pm »

Me personally? I give them a small farm plot, a still, a barrel, and a bed, and then wall them off.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »

Since a few versions back, dropping is not a good fit. Items now are able to collide with each other, and break or be destroyed. While this made bridge-a-pults more fun, it also made airlocked goods delivery more difficult.

Instead, many people use pressure plate controlled doors/floodgates and minecart dump zones.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:13:51 pm »

I remember one time in a succession game someone set up a hole to dump items into magma without any special construction. Does anyone know how to set this up?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 11:33:12 pm »

Retracting bridge with dump zone.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 11:35:11 pm »

Retracting bridge with dump zone.
Now this is really smart

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 11:38:02 pm »

Again, items you want to survive the fall (like barrels full of booze) are not a good fit for this. They will collide with each other and the floor, and can be destroyed.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 01:57:13 am »

I found booze drops too much hassle. I do an airlock room type. So let's say we have the room the dwarf stays in, say room 1. Well to get to the fort proper the dwarf needs to leave room one through another room (the airlock) which is sealed with a bridge or a door (depends on circumstances)

I lock the dwarf in room 1, fill the airlock with supplies, then reseal the airlock and allow the dwarf access to the airlock to collect said supplies. The airlock varies, from being a 3x3 up to 20x20.

Should be noted I don't normally drop off supplies, instead I pick up supplies. Such as rock crafts and such.

If you wanted to drop off booze though a simple way to do it:

1) Make the airlock a stockpile.
2) assign this stockpile to take from links
3) make the linking stockpile your main booze stock
4) make a stockpile in room 1
5) make this stockpile take from the airlock stockpile

Anytime your dwarf in room 1 needs supplies just lock the airlock from his room, fill the stockpile with needed supplies using above method, unlock the airlock (be sure to lock it from the fort proper first)

Voila. The micromanagement is pretty much none, since I often give the dwarf a year of supplies minimum. Normally because I only check every fall or some such. Unless I have a cool werebeast, then they become the center attraction I'm a glass room in middle of my dining hall. Results in !!FUN!! When you forget to lock the airlock.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 02:22:49 am »

Again, items you want to survive the fall (like barrels full of booze) are not a good fit for this. They will collide with each other and the floor, and can be destroyed.

That's a major change of mechanism! It will change a lot of things. When it is added?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 03:19:38 am »

Shit, it was added 4 versions ago!!

Pay attention, you will find if there are lots of items in the dump zone, and you drop them, many will simply vanish!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 04:53:43 am »

Pay attention, you will find if there are lots of items in the dump zone, and you drop them, many will simply vanish!
Apparently there are more than one person who haven't paid attention. What do you mean by "4 versions ago"? Does that mean 0.44.05 or possibly 0.40.01?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 05:06:40 am »

I can't believe this happens I have to science it.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 05:32:57 am »

Apparently there are more than one person who haven't paid attention. What do you mean by "4 versions ago"? Does that mean 0.44.05 or possibly 0.40.01?

I looked back into the change log.  It was the release that broke coinstars (or rather, fixed them so they did not work any more). So, it was the 2012 release. Since that is literally 6 years ago, I think I can be forgiven for not being able to remember the specific version number, M'kay?  It redid fall mechanics and damage calculations, which resulted in damage to damageable items, which includes barrels.

To be precise, items falling on each other causes destruction, so you need quantum dump density in the dump zone to get good numbers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:39:11 am by wierd »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 07:24:56 am »

Well, it sounded like a more precise specification than it was. I actually had a coinstar (my first and only) operating on that update, and had to disable it quickly... It would be early in 0.40.X, probably somewhere around 09, but the year seems off, unless coinstars were broken at an earlier time as well.
Minecarts don't take damage from falls, at least not onto ramps, but I haven't dropped other stuff long distances (apart from failed attempts with prisoners).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 07:48:22 am »

I admit that it was a long time ago when I tested it out-- I was interested in using a "deadfall trap", made from a retracting bridge spanning over the top of a shear walled (smoothed) corridor that had a row of pressure plates that trigger the retraction overhead.

The bridge had quantum-dumped clay boulders (because they are cheap and infinite to supply) dropped several Z.

I noticed that (some of) my boulders were simply vanishing, so I switched to science mode, and dropped other things too. Again, this was fresh on the change. It might not apply now.  New science is encouraged.
Pages: [1] 2