Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crashes are very frustrating  (Read 3334 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes are very frustrating
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 04:00:22 pm »

Spoiler: Off-topic (click to show/hide)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 06:03:09 pm »

Weird I would think df on Linux would be more unstable. I have yet to crash, I'm using LNP. Perhaps it's a Windows only issue? I've heard the crashes may be linked to dfhacks job manager (I use dwarf therapist)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:51 pm »

DT here too :(
In a time before time, I had a name.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 09:40:21 am »

I didn't even know DT was back up to date, I've been playing without it for so long I kind of got used to it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 10:28:51 am »

0.44.09 supported

(I've used DT a lot, and very rarely DFHack, though (as I mention) I run DF on old hardware that's still happy to run that, but modern DT won't run on that (or can't be bothered to - not the Dev's fault, but rather the devs for the compiler the Dev uses, dropping support and/or actively forcing new system calls that my old computer hasn't got and that DT doesn't even use) so I just ride DF 'bareback', like I always used to in the old days. Same problem, directly this time, with the current LCS fork.)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 01:20:45 pm »

0.44.09 supported

Minor nitpick: those memory layouts are labeled as "experimental" and "untested", so calling them "supported" is probably a bit of a stretch.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 03:20:51 pm »

Indeed, my omission. But just giving Damiac/others the pointer to the place to find "practically current Therapist, at time of writing, and probably more so* if you revisit it later".

* - Until DF runs off ahead of the latest DT again, that is.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 09:29:37 pm »

I'm getting maybe 1 crash every 5-8 hours of playtime, and it's tough to understand exactly why and when.  For instance my last crash was right after I found the magma sea, I closed out the pop ups then when I went 1 level up DF just crashed and closed.

Are you using TWBT? (Note that some starter packs enable it by default.) If so, try disabling it and see if the "cursor movement" and "view-key" crashes stop.

What is TWBT, I am getting the "V" key crashes.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 01:09:51 am »

TwbT (Text Will Be Text) is a complex DFHack plugin that allows text to read like text (and not tiles/symbols), multi level rendering, and a number of other nifty things. With the LNP that's involved in the print mode selection part of the launcher UI.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 06:55:22 am »

Weird I would think df on Linux would be more unstable. I have yet to crash

in .07... do a new embark with 20ish war dogs and 2 years of food and booze. uncap the fps. then let it run. it should freeze before the booze is gone.  just in case you want to experience at least a hang on linux.  :)  fixed in .09

don't cook what you can brew

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »

Can't DFHack force the game to save anymore? I remember I used to save quite often, usually after major alterations to the fort or lengthy caravan transactions. I think it was crashes that made me do it too.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 01:30:04 am »

Can't DFHack force the game to save anymore? I remember I used to save quite often, usually after major alterations to the fort or lengthy caravan transactions. I think it was crashes that made me do it too.
"quicksave" works in 0.44.05 (I haven't played any later version as my fortress won't be possible to continue until 0.44.10).
Pages: 1 [2]