Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about Wagons  (Read 1012 times)

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about Wagons
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:42:36 pm »

So, all of my caravans had arrived from an inconvenient part of the map, so in an attempt to get them appear at a different location, I walled off the areas, and left a one tile wide bridge to allow for access. However, they still appear at that spot, with the message that the wagons had bypassed my inaccessible site. But, there is still a path for the wagons to be able to move to the depot. (I checked.)

Has this happened to anybody else? Or is this a feature, not a bug?

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Wagons
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:19:28 pm »

Have you checked depot accessibility with the capitalized D key?

Wagons need three-tile-wide paths to reach your fortress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:36:23 pm »

Apparently wagons don't adjust their embark entrance points to account for your depot placement. I suspect they arrive at locations that had access to the embark wagon's location at the time of embark, but doesn't adjust that based on your crossing rivers, digging, building walls, and trees growing. If there IS a check, it's for a single tile patch access only.

As Pyrite said, 'D' is the tool to use to check depot access.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »

Yep, it said that depot was accessible on that screen, but apparently half of the map is rendered inaccessible due to a river.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:55:26 pm »

You may need to build a bridge then.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 07:39:01 pm »

I thought traders would adjust their positions? Maybe not?
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 03:05:33 am »

I thought traders would adjust their positions? Maybe not?
My experience with moving over a river on a single tile bridge to dig down on the other side suggests they don't.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 05:55:08 am »

the wagons will enter randomly wherever there's a free 3x3 on the edge of your map. sometimes a little bit next to one of those spaces so that its possible for them to enter and immediately break on a tree. i'm not sure about the exact nuance here.

in any case, if you want to control where they appear, make a channel all around the map -- leaving only the place(s) where you want them un-channelled.

from there, run two or three 3x400ish tile entrance tunnels around the rim of your embark. these will suck in an entire siege if you engineer it so that you can switch them into 1200 long tunnel, preferable with shortcuts that make them dodge over a deep pit near the business end of the tunnels. equip that with single weapon weapon traps that you can block off and you have the start of something good ;)

once you have the materials, you can fence off the entire outside to guard against bowmen and start to take all fighting underground. don't bother with fortifications to attack anyone that's not had to walk at least the first 400 tiles or you take the risk that some guys won't ever come in.

extra points for putting your first furniture artifact just before the last bridge with a way to drop stuff onto any building destroyers admiring your stuff. that lets you cage them and insures that you can get out again with ease.

ok, got a little off-track here, but yeah, you can control where the wagons come with ease. give it a go. more extra points if you integrate the terrain and any water so that you keep the surface pristine and have a way to wash syndome yuck out of the tunnels.
don't cook what you can brew

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 06:57:52 am »

You can generally force caravans to arrive at any point by restricting the "valid path to depot", but if there is a River flowing through your embark, they will often insist on arriving on one side of that river, no matter what you try to do.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 07:21:58 am »

in any case, if you want to control where they appear, make a channel all around the map -- leaving only the place(s) where you want them un-channelled.

did i just get a legendary reply to this? 
don't cook what you can brew