Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oceans running out of fish?  (Read 2682 times)

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
Oceans running out of fish?
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »

So... are oceans supposed to run out of fish? Mine are. In the last fortress I started, I embarked by an ocean and discovered no fish in it to begin with. In my current fortress, I started with fish, but then got a notification that there's no fish left there, and so far as I can tell, no fish are spawning in the ocean tiles. I have a river that I could start fishing, but I'm wondering if that will also run out of fish. I don't remember this happening in previous DF versions. Is this a bug?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceans running out of fish?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:29:52 pm »

I believe there's a report on the bug tracker for sources running out of vermin fish. The ocean is essentially a large source...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:41:03 pm »

No that has been a thing since basically forever, at least .34

I recall that they improved it and that it is less likely to run out of fish now, but it's still possible even in the ocean. I'm in a place to check right now but isn't there a raw token that controls their population range? You could set that to absurd numbers.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:57:45 pm »

Okay, now to add further to the mystery, my ocean has repopulated.

I noticed when I was looking at the zone designations that tiles adjacent to the ocean were not appearing as valid fishing zones. Deciding that the well was dry for good, I switched over to fishing the river, and then by chance, I happened to notice a bunch of glasseyes swimming about in the ocean. Now when I designate ocean-adjacent tiles for fishing, they're showing up as valid again.

Is it that the populations are seasonal and replenish themselves over time?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:51:14 pm »

I don't totally understand the wildlife spawning system, but DFHack's "region-pops list" command provides some very useful information.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:21:31 am »

I don't totally understand the wildlife spawning system, but DFHack's "region-pops list" command provides some very useful information.
There's a difference between "vermin" and "real" creatures. "Vermin" are innumerable and flicker in and out of existence, while "real" creatures belong to populations that can be exhausted and they enter the map as groups (possibly of one), stay a while, and leave, to be replaced by new groups.
"Vermin" extermination through (over)fishing is a different issue from killing off all the yetis in your part of the world by killing them off as they enter your embark.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 12:13:50 am »

As far as I know creature populations are simulated the same way civilized entities and elves are, since breeding was introduced. That's just hearsay and rumor, though, I haven't verified it.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »

The ocean called, they're running out of shrimp (I think I did that right)