Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The League: Meet the Press [0/6]  (Read 1558 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The League: Meet the Press [0/6]
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:21:41 am »

It has been the 78 years since the conclusion of The Great Calamity. Most of its veterans are dead, and the battlefields have been reclaimed by nature. Those who can wield the mysterious, quasi-divine power of Essence have been corralled and calm. Humanity rebuilds.
But it can't forget, no matter how hard it tries. The rationale mind of man will always be plagued with that primal chimpanzee bloodlust. More war would be nonsensical, but pacifism is agonizing. What must give? This impulse must be sated in a way that preserves society, no, strengthens it. An impossible task? Not in these modern times. We must make The League.

You must help build it lest we stumble into that abyss.

Premise:
In The League, you take the role of a Team Manager (TM) who is given the task of building, maintaining and leading a team of combatants to victory in a gladiatorial 3-VS-3 combat sport. In something like Blood Bowl, which has its participants fully engaged in the smallest details on the field, from every individual move and action. The League focuses on macro-strategies and the metagame; the actual matches are simulated, out of the hands of the TMs. TMs are responsible for nearly every other aspect besides the competition itself: the recruitment and appraisal of talent, establishing a relationship with all players and the team as a whole, hiring coaches, becoming the public 'face' of the team, and so forth. You might not be involved with the actual game-battle, but you will be seen as responsible for its outcome, whatever that may be.

*This game will start with a maximum of 6 active TMs. If after 4 or 5 in-game seasons everything is running smoothly, I may bump that number up to 8 or 9 TMs, but it's highly doubtful to get any larger than that. This game will have several Owners and Coaches, over a hundred Players, and then countless other miscellaneous NPCs that may appear, each of them with their own personality and goals. This game will be a large undertaking for me, but I fully intend to carry it out with the best of my ability. Even if the game is only feasible for 4 or 5 seasons, then I would like to think of it as a successful and educational venture for the TMs and myself alike.
If you would like to participate in this game without taking on the roles of a TMs, look down at the Chain of the Command and look at the selection for Fans, a special role for non-TM participants.

*On a similar note, the scale of this game means that it will not run quickly. If you were expecting daily or bi-daily matches, that will not be the case. This is not to say that most of the time nothing will happening, on the contrary. An aficionado of any sport or competitive activity will tell you that 80% of what matters happens before you get on the field or stage. It is off the field where your role and influence truly shines.

*I want to stress that this is intended to be a simulation instead of a more traditional game with a planned plot. I put all the players in place, but what happens to each of them is almost entirely dependent on the TMs. This to replicate the emergent storylines that appear in real sports, which would be quite boring if every match had 50/50 odds. Instead we get tales of long-standing dynasties facing off against battle-scarred underdogs, disrespected nobodies rising to great heights while simultaneously superstars tragically fall. This game will also be rife with all the drama and metagame that surrounds sports, from the heartwarming and humorous to the shocking and detestable. Even those who pay no attention to spectator sports can still remember the New England Patriots "Deflategate" Scandal or reports of widespread drug use among Russian Olympians. Similar newstories will inevitably appear in this game as well. It is not merely how often you win or lose, it is the legends to be built and immortalized.

*I would recommend skimming each of the spoilered sections instead of reading them one by one, to see if you enjoy what you see. There's a lot of text, some of it non-essential, especially in the first few seasons (years) of the League's existence. 

*Having Discord is essential to this game. Major developments like matches, newsletters and announcements will be posted here, but all the small but numerous personal interactions will be handled in Discord. If every interview, meeting and discussion was posted on here, even in the form of multiple threads, they would all get severely clogged.

Spoiler: Background Lore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chain of Command (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: League Structure (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:44:33 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Player Acquisitions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Players and You! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Team Descriptions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:22:35 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Example Match (click to show/hide)

Getting Hired:
Submit an application as listed below and the Owners will be sure to give your file a look. If they like what they see, you can expect a meeting, either an interview to determine if they really like you, or maybe even a job on the spot! I want to stress that I am not selecting prospective TMs based on the quality of your sheet. That's up to the Owners. Really, I am basing the acceptance of any given sheet not on how much I personally like it, but whether a given individual Owner would like it. You might have the best sheet of all, but it might not be what any of the given Owners want at this time. If you don't get in, or want to join in after the game has already begun, I will have a list of "Free Agent TMs" available. After all, some TMs may decide to move on from their positions at some point, and some Owners might decide that their initial TM was not the right decision in their opinion and would like to look for a replacement.

TM Application:
Name:
Appearance:
Background/Previous Experience:
Why would you be a great TM?:

Fan Sign-up (Just about always accepted at any time):
Name:
Online Avatar:
Background:
Most Frequent Website(s):
Favorite Team: (You don't have to fill this out until the end of the first season, can't expect to be a diehard fan of a team that hasn't even played yet. But if you want to have a favorite team before the League even gets underway, go ahead.)

Active TMs (0/6):

Free Agent TMs:

Fans:

Discord Link
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:28:24 am by TCM »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

I'll PTW
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

This does actually seem really interesting.

I’ll watch for now too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:17:56 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Agreed. A very interesting concept. If I have enough time for a regular discord presence, I might join.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finally pumped out that monster of an OP, this game is officially online.

In addition to writing everything up, I've set up a Discord server. Besides all the in-game stuff for TMs, that's where you'll find the OOC, a Fandom channel for Fans to interact with the League and each other, and a Player Suggestions channel if you ever have an idea for a new player you want to see in the game.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

ptwww
Black lives matter.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This certainly looks very interesting; I don't know if I'll have the time to play though.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This certainly looks very interesting; I don't know if I'll have the time to play though.

Thank you for expressing your interest either way. I'd like to remind you, and anyone else in a similar situation (interested in the game but possibly not able to committ to the role of TM) but still would like to participate can always take on the role of a Fan. Fan interactions and narratives will have a definite impact on the teams. Fans also have no obligation to stay active, they can post whenever they feel like it. After all, it's not like being a fan of a game/show/movie depends on you constantly posting about it all the time, although that is one way people express their fandom.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The League: RWBY-type Gladitorial/Sport Team Mangement Simulator [0/6]
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »

I'm interested too, but intimidated by the apparent volume of writing involved in both sides of the game. I'm pretty able to stay active on Discord, but is it expected that TMs stay in character for all/most interactions, or is it fine to use a mix of in character and more bland descriptions of managerial actions?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 10:52:36 pm »

I'm interested too, but intimidated by the apparent volume of writing involved in both sides of the game. I'm pretty able to stay active on Discord, but is it expected that TMs stay in character for all/most interactions, or is it fine to use a mix of in character and more bland descriptions of managerial actions?

Admittedly, a lot of the writing is present to cover most of what could happen during the game, not which is essential to totally know. Think of it more like a rulebook; you don't need to know the whole rulebook to play D&D, it's just nice to know there's a resource that explains any given situation, like how fast an invisible kobold can swim.

There will be a mix of Roleplaying and more "Strategy Game" style moves. Any detailed personal interaction between PCs and NPCs or PCs and PCs (such as meetings) will be all roleplay, though decisions can be more direct, (eg. I instruct Player X to do this thing.) There will be a relationship between these two elements though, like if in "Strategy Mode" you demote Player X from Starter to a Back Up position, you can expect they'll want to talk to you.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:16:27 am »

Newsletter #1
"Bringing the League right to You!"

Welcome!

This is marks the exciting first edition of The League Associated New Network's regular Newsletter, the only newsletter that gets you all of The League's hottest stories as soon as they break! Our team of expert reporters and analysts will get You the news you want, with special details and fresh rumors that you won't find anywhere else! Enjoy, and remember to stay sharp!

Small Towns, Big Opportunities

The League's official opening is more than just a new sport, for lesser known cities it is a chance to attract visitors and fame. Galroch, a mountainous rural town, has been designated as the home of the Wyverns. At a festival celebrating their new team, one local expressed his excitement at seeing the newfound exposure of his town. "I've lived here me' whole life, and when I traveled, no one had ever heard of Galroch. Now we're going to be known around the whole world thanks to the Wyverns, and those lads are going to show everyone what we're about! Look what I got already!" The fan proudly displayed his collection of Wyvern merchandise, from a one-piece tunic to an appropriately colored mug displaying a ferocious flying beast, the symbol of this team. Quite a haul for a team that doesn't even have players yet.

Over in the ancient city of Nobuchika, Chief Minister Tise holds a firm pride in the new Shadows. "There is a tendency for foreigners to think of Nobuchika as a backwards place....a loser in a war it fought long ago. The Shadows will restore our honor, this noble team will show the world that just because we do things differently, we are still an important city that is part of the global community."

The Prospects Arrive

Thousands of expectant prospective players arrived in Point Hill yesterday, the site of The League's headquarters. Many of these prospects spent a good deal of their monthly income just to come here and have the opportunity to apply. Out of all of them, less than 5% will be approved. "I know it's a long shot," said one prospect standing in a massive line outside The League's Central Office, "but it would be a dream come true to get in. When I was a kid, there was absolutely nothing like this, especially not for ESIs. There were the fighting leagues, but for your average fighter you earn less than an officer worker and it's hard to get respect. I know people who have fought, and that's what they all say. This League is completely different."

Others signing up were much more confident, including Maker "Houston" Bayfield, a name which is already turning heads within the nascent League. Houston, a champion in several regional fighting leagues across the United States, is not only confident that he'll be selected, but also that he'll be one of the first five players drafted. "I can throw a heat-seeking, armor-piercing rocket at 90 miles per hour and I can jet-boost away from anything you can throw at me. Anyone who passes me in the Draft is going to regret it." According to Houston, his excellent combat abilities were not his greatest asset, "What's really good about me is that I'm a leader, I get everyone in the locker room going. A lot of guys here could be good players, but what makes me special is that I'll make the whole team good, and that's really valuable."

When Valerie "Sparky" Malindez was asked about what team she would most like to be a part of, the prospect was at a loss. "Oh wow...the Paladins would be really nice, but so would the Wyverns...I'd love to be part of Kataki, unless Chrome wanted me which would be great. Also, the Blood-Eagles would be an amazing organization. So one of those."

The League: A Discriminatory Corporation?

Not everyone is happy with the League's inception. Just beyond the line leading into the League's Central Office, a crowd of protesters have assembled, separated from the prospects by a police barricade. The Delineated Institute of Concerned Kinship is a political organization "Dedicated to protecting the rights of mundane citizens." Founded in the aftermath of The Great Calamity, the Institute claims to be guardians that ensure another "grievous assault on mundane civilization" does not occur at the hand of ESIs.

One protestor vocalized his criticism of The League's supposed discrimination, "How is it that any ESI off the street can apply to become a player, but a mundane that works their whole life isn't even given a tryout? How is that not the most prejudiced thing you have ever heard of? This whole sport is a disgrace to the millions of innocent mundanes that died in the Great Calamity. Any self-respecting mundane should boycott this sham."

We spoke to Delpheria Antiom, Commissioner of The League, who could see the protesters from her office window. "First off, there is much more to the application process than being an ESI. There are background checks, medical tests and recommendations among other requirements that must be presented before the application itself. As for mundanes, there is no way that mundanes would be able to compete in this League. I am a mundane itself, an even at my physical peak as a military officer, an ESI pre-teen could easily kill me even if I were armed. If a mundane wants to join a sports league, there are hundreds of them across the world."

The Latest BlitzBall Debacle

Yet another blooper for BlitzBall as the World Finale Series Championship has concluded after 30.5 hours of game time to a resounding 0-0 tie between the Aqualoni Macaronis and the عزبة بدوي أفندي Jellybeans. "Are you kidding me? Are you [expletive] kidding me!?" One fan commented. "I paid $800 bucks for these seats, $800! My kid missed school for this! Jimmy, you awake Jimbo? Looks like he fell asleep a while back. I don't blame him. Sarah? Sarah are you reading this? I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. You were right about this all along. I'll take care of the dishes for the next month honeybun."

Desperate BlitzBall officials are brainstorming ways to preserve their dying sport. These ideas have included raising the price of concession food to make it "more special", additional mascots and using social media to "spread BlitzBall mee-mees that will delight young and old alike."

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The League: Meet the Press [0/6]
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 03:23:11 pm »

All done!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The League: Meet the Press [0/6]
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 08:33:31 am »

All done!

Application approved. Best of luck, Ms. Rasgado.

OP Changes:
- Added the countries for each team in Team Descriptions. Canonically, the game takes place in a slightly altered history where all countries are the same, although their specific cities have differed.
- Added a section on the vacation and Training Camp periods under Player Acquisitions. Both of these periods are very short, mostly allowing teams to rest but they do have the potential to produce interesting news and developments.
Pages: [1] 2