Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2994 B.C. Revision  (Read 14666 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2996 B.C. Revision
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2018, 03:41:04 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Achnizo's Lab: (2) NUKE9.13 DGR

Hopes this works...
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:00 pm »

Achnizo's Lab: (3) NUKE9.13, DGR, Happerry

Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2018, 12:01:40 pm »

(Normal)(1,4)=5 Average
Achnizo truly knows his “engineering” thing. The steam wheels used in Atlantis are toys, they need a lot of fuel and produce little useful force. However through his method of “Systematic experimenting, analysis and understanding” Achnizo produced some impressive prototypes. Some are rotating designs more powerful than current ones, other are based on pistons. Due to lack of funding they are small, but all clearly functional as evidenced by several steam based machines present in his lab such as a pump feeding a small waterfall that he uses to wash himself with hot water from the boilers.

Luckily for you, he is much more approachable than the last wise man you tried to get the help of. Eager to spread his ideas on how to build machinery, with “proper procedure” rather than “baseless intuition”, he agrees to help you and share his wisdom in future steam based projects. He is an odd fellow, insisting with his alien concepts and made up words, but he will surely be useful.

Spoiler:  Atlanteans equipment (click to show/hide)

It is Event phase. Decide what to do about the temple.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2996 B.C. Event
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2018, 12:12:26 pm »

Event:
Attack the Servants:
Attack the Egyptians: (1) NUKE9.13
Look, we aren't going to win on the naval front for a turn or two. We're sufficiently far behind for that to be a pipe dream. So letting the temple survive unguarded is not in our best interests.
If we attack Egypt, then one way or another, we deny them the relics of the temple- either permanently, or for a few turns- enough for us to turn things around and have a chance of claiming Endoxos again.
Long Live United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:51 am »

Well, on one hand, I agree with you, but on the other hand I really don't want to see that temple destroyed. I kinda wish we could just withdraw from the island all together and let the robots eat it.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2018, 01:05:07 am »

It won't get destroyed, it'll just sink back into the sea. We can build a cool greekpunk sub after the war and investigate it at our leisure.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2018, 03:17:45 am »

Event:
Attack the Servants:
Attack the Egyptians: (2) NUKE9.13, Happerry
Eh, fair enough. And if we're lucky they'll just attack us too and then rampaging robots will be everywhere!
Forenia Forever!

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2018, 08:20:21 am »

Event:
Attack the Servants:
Attack the Egyptians: (3) NUKE9.13, Happerry, SamSpeeds

WOOOOOO!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2995 B.C. Design
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »

The Might of Steam: We need a better, faster ship. Therefore, we must design one. that weird philosopher seems to know his stuff...perhaps steel can be used to make our ship faster? Let's have Achizno build some larger versions to turn wheels of oars at the back of our ship, and propel it forward with greater speed.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2018, 05:19:13 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Aegis of Zeus: (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2018, 05:45:22 pm »

Let's see if we can design a steam engine, initially for pumping the mines, later for use on ships, and troop movement.
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2018, 06:41:04 am »

So, we spent the revision last turn prepping for it, we're doing a steam engine this design. The question is, what kind?

Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile: Achnizo has shown us multiple prototype 'Steam Engines'. They all generate motion by heating water, but how they do so differs. After considering the options, we've chosen to focus our efforts on the Compound Aeolipile.
The Compound Aeolipile operates by the same principle as the humble steam wheel. The difference is that where the steam wheel uses low-pressure steam exiting a single wheel, the Compound Aeolipile uses high-pressure steam exiting multiple wheels in series, each wheel venting into a chamber that feeds the next wheel, the pressure of the steam dropping in stages, extracting more energy from it- potential that would otherwise be lost by letting high-pressure steam vent into the atmosphere.
The 'Boiler' is made of Orichalcum, enabling high pressures to be attained without bursting. An Orichalcum 'heating element' within the boiler helps heat the water, although a fire may be lit underneath the boiler as well if needed. Other components that need to withstand high pressure are likewise made of Orichalcum; the rest is mostly bronze. It is adorned with carvings of Aeolus.
Our first use for the Compound Aeolipile will be to pump water out of our Orichalcum mines. Set up above the mine, a series of shafts, gears, and pulleys will link the engine to the various pumps within the mine, replacing human or animal labour with the far more efficient mechanical equivalent. It can also be used to power winches that can lift ore (and miners) out of the mine.

Achnizo's Piston Engine: Achnizo has shown us multiple prototype 'Steam Engines'. They all generate motion by heating water, but how they do so differs. After considering the options, we've chosen to focus our efforts on the Piston Engine.
The Piston Engine is a fairly simple device, although it operates on a different principle from the steam wheel. It uses a 'piston' that is pushed up and down by a 'pressure differential'. A series of valves directs steam from the boiler to one side of the piston. More valves then direct said steam into a condenser, where a spray of cold water... condenses it, creating a partial vacuum. Simultaneously, the other side of the piston has steam directed into it. The difference in pressure causes the piston to move towards the vacuum side. The cycle then reverses, with the steam on the other side being directed into the condenser, and fresh steam directed into the formerly vacuum'd side. The condensed steam is sent back to the boiler to be re-used. The piston is linked to a crank, which converts the reciprocating motion into rotational motion.
The Piston Engine uses fairly low pressure steam- no more than two atmospheres. Achnizo assures us that with more work, he could develop a more efficient piston-based engine, using Orichalcum parts capable of withstanding higher pressures- but for now, we'll stick with this relatively simple model.
Our first use for the Piston Engine will be to pump water out of our Orichalcum mines. Set up above the mine, a series of shafts, gears, and pulleys will link the engine to the various pumps within the mine, replacing human or animal labour with the far more efficient mechanical equivalent. It can also be used to power winches that can lift ore (and miners) out of the mine.

In my opinion, the first option is more fun and more greek. The second option has the advantage of actually working IRL. Andrea has been tight-lipped about whether the Compound Aeolipile would work even on a good roll... though he has previously said that things that are on-theme could work even if they wouldn't work (well) IRL.
If I knew both options would be equally effective, I'd go with the first. But I fear that doing so might result in us rolling a 7 and getting the result: "Lolnope this doesn't work".
So, feedback. What do the rest of you think? Fun & risky, or boring & safe?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2018, 02:49:24 pm »

Well, given the lack of responses, I decided to flip a coin. It came up pistons, so I'll vote for that, though I could easily be convinced to swap my vote over to the Aeolipile.

Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile:
Achnizo's Piston Engine: (1) NUKE9.13

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »

Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile:
Achnizo's Piston Engine: (2) NUKE9.13, DGR
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »

Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile: (1) NUKE9.13
Achnizo's Piston Engine: (1) DGR

Nevermind, Andrea just confirmed they are equally viable. Thematic it is!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15