Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2994 B.C. Revision  (Read 14670 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2996 B.C. Design
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2018, 09:15:42 pm »

I would like to point out that with one more orchelium, everything becomes cheap. Our siege weapons, our bows, our ships, our high guard armor, almost everything. So it might be worth it to do a project on improved orchelium extraction, both for this and for the fact that it will make future orchelium based designs cheaper.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2018, 02:02:24 pm »

Orchelium mines v2
There is a wide range of things we can improve to squeeze another unit of orchelium out of the mines, with new techniques, Removal of inefficiencies and usage of birds for labor being the main improvements.
It says we can do so, so let's.
My Power armor arms race

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2018, 02:18:00 pm »

You will need more details on how you are expanding the mines. Orichalcum has been the most prized and sought metal in Atlantis for a fairly long time, "just do better" has mostly been done already and it surely won't double production.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2018, 02:18:57 pm »

I know someone else is doing a write up, that was kind of the early version.
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2018, 02:27:09 pm »

So, I could've sworn Andrea said no resource designs. But the OP says they're allowed, so...

Vidanerouen Screw: There's a problem with mines, and that problem is water. Since water is pretty common, it's a big problem. If you strike an aquifer, your mine is more or less done for.
But imagine if that was not the case. Imagine if there was an easy, efficient way of removing water from a mine as fast as it flows into it.
Introducing the Vidanerouen Screw. A deceptively simple piece of machinery, it consists of a metal tube with a screw inside, which can be rotated. This causes water to be drawn from the bottom of the tube to the top, and it doesn't even have to be made of Orichalcum, which is godsdamned witchcraft. We'd much rather just use alchemy to make Orichalcum absorb water or something, but we cannot deny that the screw works, and is a lot simpler and cheaper.
Anyway. By installing these screws in our mines, and having either slaves or animals turn them, we can 'pump' water from the depths, allowing us to dig deeper and more greedily for Orichalcum- that being our goal, though using such pumps in other mines is not impossible.

Alt:

Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile: There's a problem with mines, and that problem is water. Since water is pretty common, it's a big problem. If you strike an aquifer, your mine is more or less done for.
But imagine if that was not the case. Imagine if there was an easy, efficient way of removing water from a mine as fast as it flows into it.
Introducing Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile. Remember the steam wheel toy? You know, heat the water, wheel spins, children love it, not really that useful? Achnizo remembered. Achnizo saw potential in that toy that we daren't dream of. He has tinkered with it for years, and now has come to us for funding to build a working prototype of his invention.
How is Achnizo's Compound Aeolipile better than the original steam wheel? Numerous ways.
For one, using Orichalcum to make the 'boiler' allows for far higher pressure to be maintained without the whole thing exploding. Using superheated Orichalcum in a wiggly pattern that maximises surface area allows such pressures to be reached.
For another, Achnizo realised that the steam exiting the steam wheel still had a lot of 'potential'. Rather than letting it vent off into the atmosphere, the steam exiting the first wheel is captured and fed into a second wheel, which in turn feeds a third wheel, and so on. Each wheel is connected to a central shaft, meaning their outputs are combined.
Achnizo has also optimised the shape of the machine, tweaking every pipe and nozzle to maximise efficiency.
The result is a remarkably powerful device. We foresee many potential applications for such power, but for now, we have applied it to our mines, by having the shaft (through a series of gears and pulleys) turn a water screw, that can 'pump' water from the depths of a mine to the surface. The power of the Aeolipile is far greater than that of any man or beast, making the formerly daunting task of moving so much water a walk in the park.
This, in turn, allows us to dig deeper and more greedily for Orichalcum- the projected cost of the system makes using it for lesser metals not worth it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:47:20 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2018, 12:01:01 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Screw(1): Urist
Aeolipile:
Aegies:
Koneio(1): NUKE

Let's target the temple.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »

You missed a few votes there.

Aegis of Zeus: (1) Happerry
Koneio Armour: (1) Madman
Vidanerouen Screw: (1) Urist Mc Dwarf

I've unvoted, because I don't know what the right option is anymore.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2018, 04:16:00 pm »

Vidanerouen Screw: (1) Urist Mc Dwarf
Aeolipile: (1) detoxicated

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2018, 01:22:29 am »

I vote for the Screw, i don't know how to use the vote box so could someone else put my vote in?
My Power armor arms race

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2018, 04:34:08 am »

just quote the votebox and add your name to the thing you support and change the number accordingly

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2018, 01:31:22 pm »

Vidanerouen Screw: (3) Urist Mc Dwarf dgr Birdbrider
Aeolipile: (1) detoxicated
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:38:44 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2018, 06:13:04 pm »

Did we ever decide if we are going to take out the temple or attack the enemy?
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2018, 01:11:53 am »

Did we ever decide if we are going to take out the temple or attack the enemy?
Gonna wait and see the results of our design & revision first, innit.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2018, 02:58:40 pm »

Vidanerouen Screw: There's a problem with mines, and that problem is water. Since water is pretty common, it's a big problem. If you strike an aquifer, your mine is more or less done for.
Introducing the Vidanerouen Screw. A deceptively simple piece of machinery, it consists of a metal tube with a screw inside, which can be rotated. This causes water to be drawn from the bottom of the tube to the top, and it doesn't even have to be made of Orichalcum, which is godsdamned witchcraft. We'd much rather just use alchemy to make Orichalcum absorb water or something, but we cannot deny that the screw works, and is a lot simpler and cheaper.
Anyway. By installing these screws in our mines, and having either slaves or animals turn them, we can 'pump' water from the depths, allowing us to dig deeper and more greedily for Orichalcum- that being our goal, though using such pumps in other mines is not impossible.

(Very Hard)(4,1)-2=3 Buggy mess
Orichalcum is the life blood of war, the crucial component that makes the army and navy go round. It is, most likely, the most valuable thing in the world. Therefore, it makes sense to mine more of it.

You start a mine improvement project based on the newly designed Vidanerouen Screw. It is a screw in a water tight tube that when set in motion pulls water from the depths of the mine and brings it to the surface (be it in one or multiple steps). Draining mines is indeed a great help, but implementation is tricky. The screws require large amounts of mechanical power, diverting animals and men from actual mining work. Current shafts need to be expanded, which blocks extraction in some shafts. And in general, it is an huge project which causes disruptions.

It is not entirely without success and there has been a slight increase of production. While not nearly enough to increase our standing army, it may be possible over time to accumulate a stockpile large enough to perhaps send some extra units on the front. Not yet however. 

Spoiler:  Atlanteans equipment (click to show/hide)

To be clear: the screw itself was achieved and not that difficult. However, increasing your infrastructure is  a very hard thing to do, and you had no previous technology that could help and wasn't already present at game start. That said, you made some real progress in that direction, you have screws in case you need them, and there may be benefits down the road.

It is now Revision phase
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:00:34 pm by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient arms race - Academy of Prometheus - 2996 B.C. Revision
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2018, 03:23:22 pm »

Achnizo's Lab: There is an eccentric philosopher who has been in the news recently. Notably, he gets insulted when people call him a philosopher. "But you're building some sort of insane contraption", they say. "That's not fucking philosophy", he replies, "It's engineering". We've tried telling him you can't just make up words, but to no avail.
Anyway, this philosopher has some interesting ideas about steam. Remember the steam wheel? Heat water, wheel spins, children love it, not really useful? Achnizo has been tinkering with them for a while now, and has presented some intriguing results. It's all theoretical so far, but if what he's saying is true, the humble steam wheel has incredible potential. So we're taking a shot in the dark, and giving Achnizo the funding he requires to expand his operation and experiment more, in anticipation of making something actually useful next year. We expect him to provide an analysis of the feasibility of his designs as well, so we don't end up trying to build something impossible/useless.
((Build theoretical steam experience, and get some answers as to how useful a compound aeolipile would be))

We ain't making progress this turn no matter what we do, so we might as well lay the groundwork for next turn.

Quote from: Votes
Achnizo's Lab: (1) NUKE9.13
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15