Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: X-ray cameras (deathcams)  (Read 2208 times)

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-ray cameras (deathcams)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »

I enjoyed Stardrive and it´s design part. Sadly well planned armor and redundancy systems were simply not as effective as using every bit of space for long range artillery which blasted every other ship out of space before it came into firing range. At least not in single player. Might be different in multiplayer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 05:57:05 pm »

Iirc the last couple Mortal Kombat games have done x-ray cams, but I’d pnt know if that’s the context you’re looking for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 07:51:01 pm »

Iirc the last couple Mortal Kombat games have done x-ray cams, but I’d pnt know if that’s the context you’re looking for.

That's specifically not the context he's looking for, as mentioned in the original post.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:39 pm »

Hey, just wondering if anyone got a recommendation for a game where you can really see what kind of damage you caused. Doesn´t have to be a shooter, just something where it matters where blows or shots land and you can trace that back (no, I don´t mean x-ray just for the sake of x-ray like mortal combat).

Games I know about:
Sniper series
Cabelas Big game hunting
Warthunder

Alternatively I am searching for games with good component based destruction, i.e. the function of a vehicle/creature depends on what parts are still working and not some HP-Bar. I will be glad for any suggestions, no matter if full price game or free brwoser based ones.
From the Depths has awesome component based destruction.  Vehicles have no universal hp bar (including shields), instead being built up out of voxel based blocks.  The individual machines inside are often more efficient if built out of many blocks, but the trade off is that now you have this giant (often explosive) hunk of metal that can be blown up by a single shot, as opposed to multiple redundant systems.  The game has two different systems to simulate armor of different slopes and thickness, so you can get those World of Warships' style shell bounces.  Its got a single player mode where you go from one battlefield to another pitting your creations against AI vehicles, and another where you command your vehicles RTS style to conquer the world.  And there are a ton of different AI vehicles, including a range from very small/weak to ridiculously large/powerful.

The dev seems to have a similar passion for localized damage as you do, because he put systems in the game to let you follow projectiles and even look inside the hulls of vehicles to see the damage as it happens.  You can slow down the game speed whenever you want, and there's brief, automatic slow motion whenever a large explosion happens (usually a fuel or ammo locker being penetrated).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:50:04 pm »

Are we already at the point that poeple don´t read the posts of even two pages? At this rate we are gonna have a lot of double suggestions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 12:35:05 am »

Heh, sorry.  My normal posting habit is to read the first post, then jump forward to the last and read a couple posts backwards.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 05:28:32 am »

SPAZ 2. Carving off chunks of the enemy ships is pretty much central to the combat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 09:23:41 am »

Well, I mean... there's also stuff like Horizon: Zero Dawn for locational damage/capability, but that features a health bar as well, so I feel like it doesn't really count. You're not killing something by stopping its heart or incapacitating its lungs, resulting in suffocation... you just disable certain attacks and abilities by targeting weak points, while also dealing more damage to the hitpoints until they reach zero.

Things like UnrealWorld (autocorrect wanted to turn that into 'Unreal-wOrld'... I fear for this phone) or even  NEOscavenger are more into the functions of specific limbs and organs, but there's not much of a graphical representation of this, and last I checked you couldn't target individual points in NEOscav. You just headbutt and curbstomp everyone into submission.

I feel like hunting games could do a lot better than what the few titles the genre is known for have put together... H:ZD gets a lot of things right in this regard, but larger targets really just sort of end up as slogfests with a whole bunch of spammed arrows and dodge rolling... And there's no bleeding, so you can't just shoot an artery and follow them around until they keel over.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 12:40:33 pm »

I’ll mention receiver. It’s a very small game with only two enemy types, but they’re very detailed.

The auto-turret for example has 4 main parts. The camera, the battery, the motor, and the ammo-box. Shooting out any one of those will affect it in one way or another. Destroy the camera and you’ll blind it, destroy the motor and it will stop rotating and only shoot if you walk in front of it. Destroy the ammo box and the only round it will have available is the single one in the chamber.

The flying shock drone has a taser, propeller, battery, and camera. Dead camera blinds it, shooting out the taser makes it futilely try to hump you to death, broken propeller makes it fall, and battery shuts it down completely. Fun fact, if the fall damage doesn’t kill the battery of the drone, you can still get shocked to death by it. Learned that the hard way.

Game is only $5 so I recommend you give it a try. The shooting mechanics are pretty neat too, if not clunky at first.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 06:13:50 am »

Martial Arts Brutality is a f2p martial arts fighting game that might fit your bill. It's a really weird game concept, but it's free so give it a shot. I got quite some hours of entertainment from it.
Pages: 1 [2]