Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X-ray cameras (deathcams)  (Read 2210 times)

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
X-ray cameras (deathcams)
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:26:12 am »

Hey, just wondering if anyone got a recommendation for a game where you can really see what kind of damage you caused. Doesnīt have to be a shooter, just something where it matters where blows or shots land and you can trace that back (no, I donīt mean x-ray just for the sake of x-ray like mortal combat).

Games I know about:
Sniper series
Cabelas Big game hunting
Warthunder

Alternatively I am searching for games with good component based destruction, i.e. the function of a vehicle/creature depends on what parts are still working and not some HP-Bar. I will be glad for any suggestions, no matter if full price game or free brwoser based ones.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: X-ray cameras (deathcams)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:24:07 pm »

Well, there's Paint the Town Red on Steam... something that actually attempts to use voxels, instead of "voxel-based games" that basically are just Minecraft clones. Enemies are made up of cubic chunks that you can slice, smash and tear away individually.

Soldier of Fortune had some cool effects back in the day with the GHOUL system, but I feel like that's not quite what you're looking for.

Dead Space reeeally wanted to be the second thing you mention, but it all just ended up being "shoot the arms instead of the head". FTL has critical components, but there's still the ubiquitous health bar in the form of structural integrity... And systems are just temporarily disabled rather than properly shot off, as someone can come along and fix it up.

In that sense, we have buildy deathmatches like Space Engineers or From the Depths. As every component serves a purpose, removing that component will impair said purpose. That said, you're probably looking for something a little more structured/singleplayer-focused than those.

...And now that I've described all the things you're NOT looking for, my brain is drawing a complete blank for titles which actually match the description. Dammit. I know I've played some, but the names escape me at the moment. Hurr.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:56:53 am »

Cortex Command!~
If you use the really big sniper rifle you can easily shoot both legs off of a clone in one shot. Then he ignores that and uses his jetpack to fly up and splatter your face with a glorified high-tech shovel.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:32:44 am »

Alternatively I am searching for games with good component based destruction, i.e. the function of a vehicle/creature depends on what parts are still working and not some HP-Bar. I will be glad for any suggestions, no matter if full price game or free brwoser based ones.
Dwarf Fortress is kind of the pinup girl or poster boy of this request. As for X-Ray kills, good luck. The company behind Sniper Elite has moved to patent them, despite neither coming up with the concept nor using it first.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:35:07 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:13 am »

Clone Drone in the Danger zone comes to mind, you start with a basic energy sword and fight in an arena against various enemy robots. While the main goal is to kill the robots by slicing through their torsos or heads, you can cut off arms and legs to disable their weapons and cripple their movement (you are also vulnerable to this). Spider walkers are quite vulnerable to this since only their heads are vulnerable, so you cut down their legs until you can reach it.

No x-ray shots (as they are robots), but there's still the slow-mo view of your last kill (and with your own death).

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:39:21 pm »

Thanks for the replys so far. Sadly nothing new, as I know about those all (was even a mod a long time ago on the From the depths forums, well technically I suppose I still have admin rights on my account ;D).

The thing with the patent on x-rays is new to me though. Kinda hard to imagine it would actually hold up in court.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:48:06 pm »

Mech Warrior games are all about this shit. If you know the layout of a particular mech you can gun for his ammo storage or a specific weapon to cripple it or outright blow it apart. The Battletech TBS that's coming out at the end of march looks pretty good with that. Tho nothing like an x-ray cam is present afaik.

Fallout with VATS has this to a certain extent, tho how useful it is is kinda debatable (especially the last 2 games where you've got an FPS that you gotta pause every now and then to I guess aim at specific parts of an enemy? it's kinda poorly thought out and really broke the game flow for me, older isometric ones were fine tho since they were kinda turn based anyways)

The upcoming (no idea on the exact release date) X-com-like Phoenix Point also has this to some degree, tho I'm not sure if they said it'd be for larger enemies or for all of them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »

In Pheonix Point all enemies can take locational damage, but you can only aim for specific parts on giant enemies normally. One of the classes gets the ability to aim for specific parts on normal enemies though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:41:13 pm »

One thing with an actual x-ray I once saw on Steam is Ski Sniper, where you're on some odd crusade against ski jumpers, and score differently based on where you hit.

Somewhat of a game that puts lots of emphasis on where a bullet goes is JFK: Reloaded, where your objective is to recreate the JFK assassination as accurately to history as possible. You get a replay with a detailed summary of where the shots travelled.

As far as component-based damage goes, there's:

Men of War and all games based on the same engine. They have a rather detailed ballistic system for vehicles, leading to ricochets, penetrations, killing the crew, disabling individual parts, and being able to repair them. Buildings can also get damaged in parts by explosions. Character damage is pretty basic, though.

Silent Storm. Though not very realistic in what happens to characters, they do get different penalties based on where they get shot. A shot to the head may damage eyesight or hearing, for instance, making it more difficult to locate enemies. Its ballistics system is otherwise pretty detailed for a turn-based shooter, though, with bullets being simulated as they penetrate or destroy walls, ricochet off of harder surfaces at the right angles, and even go through the visors of later-game armour.

Robocraft and similar multiplayer construct-em-up games. You build vehicles out of parts and then have them shoot other player vehicles. Vehicles have some central point you need to hit to destroy them, and otherwise you take them apart, destroying their individual components.

Die by the Sword was a weird sort of Action Adventure game with free-form sword swinging using the mouse, and a rather distributed damage system. Though everything has a health bar, they can also get their limbs lopped off. It hardly slows them down, though, just potentially disarms them.

Rimworld has a pretty detailed health system, where damage to various bodyparts leads to impediments to things like speech, mobility, manipulation, breathing, etc..

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »

Ok, ski sniper looks actually fun. Will check it out (and if it isnīt there is always steam refund).

Oh, and another one with quite good partial destruction is Airship, Conquer the skies. Blowing up ammo storages and chain reactions are always a nice touch.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:58:11 pm by SangerZonvolt »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 04:51:38 pm »

Its not xray cameras, but rather part destruction, and part of the Mechwarrior family.

https://mechlivinglegends.net/

That is the 100% free crysis mod, that comes with the parts of crysis needed to play it. There is also Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries floating around, that is also legitimately free, but you may have to dive into other sites to find it as the studio that it was released through has gone on to do other things. I believe ModDB has a copy of MW4 on it, but can't confirm as haven't downloaded it in forever.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 05:21:55 am »

BeamNG.Drive: Is all about realistic car crashes .
Cataclysm DDA: Has this only for vehicles witch are fully customizable and is a roguelike.
Project Zomboid: Is getting cars similar to Cataclysm but not customizable.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 06:46:49 am »

Beamng with a head tracker is soo cool https://streamable.com/z3dzu

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 07:50:03 pm »

Not x-ray'y by any means, but for plenty of component based destruction, Reassembly and Stardrive 1 aren't bad for more of a 2d 4X space'y style take on the idea. Quite flexible construction options, and pinpoint targeting of certain enemy areas can be useful against some foes. Admittedly, it tend to come down to "make sure you can shoot lots, with lots of ships", but it does work well as a counter-design effort, to make sure your own bits don't get shot off/exploded too easily.
It's a game. Have fun.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 06:03:36 am »

Arguably Elite Dangerous.  Shooting out subsystems will disable them, which can be quite an effective tactic.

World of Tanks?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2