Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: It Resonates  (Read 7389 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
It Resonates
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:47:02 pm »

Things that are true:
It Resonates is a forum-based "roll to dodge" roleplaying game.
Said game's activities will be "nearly exclusively" constrained to posts in this thread.
Said game will "end" on the 6th of may 2018, coincidently the day on which I turn 21 years old.
Between the posting of this and the end date, I will "update" the game with new posts addressing any posts made in bold font by players of this game.
If you wish to become a player in this game, you should fill out the application included in this post and post the filled out application in this thread.

Things that are probably true:
I will make an effort to "update" this thread frequently, as practice. At least every Tuesday and Friday, as well as any other time I feel like it.
There can be no more than six players of this game at a time or I will lose my mind.
The setting of this game is a realm that does not contain anything physical or permanent.
The setting of this game is a single location, containing all the players and any other notable objects. The contents of this single location may vary depending on who you are.
If you have any questions not covered above, you should check the "Things that may or may not be true" section.

Things that may or may not be true:
Anything not covered above.

Application:
What is your name: such as it is
What do you seek: even if what you want is to not want anything
What color resonates with you: colors are subjective but popular as ideas
Tell us a verse of yourself: words are artistry
Your Qualities: par is ten. beware exceeding five in one, or ten in all.
Resonance: it resonates
Antiresonance: all things have a counterpart
Partition: the world is cold
Antipartition: people are warm
Cognisance: all can be known
Anticognisance: not all should be

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It Resonates
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:53:27 pm »

(PTW/Reserved. Once I figure out the character sheet, I will fill it out.)

(It's kind of hard to understand what is each quality for. Mind giving more hints?)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:00:43 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:12:03 pm »

This world is a mosaic of shadows of other worlds, which resonate with here. Antiresonance is disruptive and sometimes destructive.
Partition is the thin wall that separates you from the world at large, preventing the world from getting into you and vise versa.
Cognisance is understanding of many things, the disruption of which may protect you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:51:31 pm »

Fourty-two hours after posting the OP for Power and Pulse I'd gotten eight applications. So I'm guessing that people don't like the look of this and I need to do something else. Like barbarians. Everybody loves barbarians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »

Fourty-two hours after posting the OP for Power and Pulse I'd gotten eight applications. So I'm guessing that people don't like the look of this and I need to do something else. Like barbarians. Everybody loves barbarians.

It's more that you can't actually tell what the game's about, if anything in particular. Take it from a guy who's tried it way too often, avant garde is not a popular genre around here.

That said, barbarians are great and we need more of those.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:14:39 pm »

It's more that you can't actually tell what the game's about, if anything in particular. Take it from a guy who's tried it way too often, avant garde is not a popular genre around here.

That said, barbarians are great and we need more of those.

I agree on everything. I just couldn't fill the sheet because I had no idea what anything was or what I had to put on it.

Also, have you considered making Power and Pulse 2? The game was awesome and I recall you said you might make a new game with a similar theme.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »

Well, I wanted to see what people would put there given no guidance. turns out the answer is "nothing".
So, power armored barbarians? :P

you philistines

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:17 pm »

To offer a contrasting viewpoint, I thought it looked interesting and didn't see the avant-gardeness as a barrier, but I don't really like RTDs. :P

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 03:53:03 pm »

Well, I wanted to see what people would put there given no guidance. turns out the answer is "nothing".
So, power armored barbarians? :P

you philistines

To tell the truth, I was waiting for someone else to make their sheet and take that as a guide to finish mine.

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 04:01:17 pm »

Eh, looks interesting. I'll probably throw my hat into the ring soon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »

Application:
What is your name: Numen Polypus
What do you seek: Multitudinousness
What color resonates with you: Blue
Tell us a verse of yourself:   it lies 'in grandeur and in mass'
                                             which are sometimes mistakenly called "tentacles"
                                             but observe his inward character:  he is a melancholy churchman.
Your Qualities:        Numerousness
                                Eusociality
                                Depth
                                Subtlety
                                Quietness
                                Consumption
Resonance: Hunger
Antiresonance: Mind
Partition: Decay
Antipartition: Growth
Cognisance: Water
Anticognisance: Thought
One wheel short of a wagon

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:30 pm »

Quote from: weird stuff
par is ten. beware exceeding five in one, or ten in all.

I think you have to fill your "qualities" (stats) with numbers.

What is your name: Nihil
What do you seek: Nothingness
What color resonates with you: Black
Tell us a verse of yourself:

Not sure about this
I'm not much of a poet
But I can still try

About me, you say?
I'm just a normal person...
Nothing weird, I swear!

What do I look like?
Like an empty void in space,
A black silhouette.

Don't worry about that,
I'm a lack of character.
Who am I? No one.

Your Qualities:
Resonance: 5
Antiresonance: 5
Partition: 0
Antipartition: 0
Cognisance: 0
Anticognisance: 0

(Made some dumb haiku and I couldn't come with anything, so he's now nothing. Literally just an empty hole in space shaped like a person.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 05:53:38 pm »

Is darkness the same as nothing? Does nothing have a name? Is nothing a hole? Does nothing resonate?
Is nothing like nothing?

What shape is a person, here? A human has a shape, but are all people human? Is all that is human a person?
Human hair, human teeth, human blood. Human structures. Human societies. These are all things to do with people, but not people themselves. So what shape is a person?

(While you might glean that my intention involves numbers on that sheet, "have to" would be a strong term. This is a player's market, after all...)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 06:20:23 pm »

I think Nothing is the lack of Everything. Darkness is just lack of light, as black is a lack of color. And I guess the question regarding the shape of a person is irrelevant, as he is shaped like the lack of a person. We could say he doesn't has hair, teeth, blood, etc. Or we could say there is a distinctive lack of these features, noticeable enough that you can directly see when does the lack of features ends and where the Everything else begins. Just like a hole is a lack of matter, but you know that the hole is still there, and it's paradoxically something by itself.

Let's say that Nothing resonates with distinctive lack of things. Nothing has no name, but this lack of things is called nothing and thus we call nothing Nothing. Nothing is only the things that aren't, just like Everything are all the things that are.

But if this is too confusing, let's change "person" with "human", as some persons are humans and it would be favorable to be more specific in this lack of character.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 06:32:07 pm »

If the lack-of-character's shape does not include the shape of hair and blood, is it, in fact, shaped like everything that is not a person? Or is it not shaped like a lack of person person at all, but rather like a lack of anything at all?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6