Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Deniable Assets Race-Thantro Technologies Strategic Command  (Read 10832 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Deniable Assets Race-Thantro Technologies Strategic Command
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:56 pm »

Mind's Eye (1): Doomblade
Blink (3): Chiefwaffles, Rockeater, DoubloonSeven
They are gonna be salty at the end of this
Agents aggressively ambush angered adversaries.

Avanti!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2018, 03:34:49 pm »

Thantro Design Phase
Blink: (Very Difficult)  [1+2-2=1] [3+1-2=2]
Taking our knowledge of pocket dimensions, the blink spell was intended to allow our agents to rapidly travel around the battlefield. We ended up with something that is a far cry from that. The blink spell works as a method of travel for short distances, but the energy cost is exponential. Not only that, but we weren't able to optimize the spell at all, and it is also horribly inefficient and complex. The spell requires two mages working in tandem to actually cast, takes nearly a whole minute to do so once, and is only capable of transporting a single mage. Usually, the spell would be merely nigh impossible to cast, but due to the added complexity no one can actually cast it currently. It does, however, successfully allow a single person to almost instantly transport themselves 10 feet. Nigh impossible to cast. Complex. Requires two wizards, and 1 minute for one use. "Instant" 10 foot transportation.

We also received a message from command while working, and it seems our drug bust affected Mondragon's stability by ~6%.
You have 172 supply this month.

6 force armor enchantments

Spoiler: Agents (click to show/hide)

It is now the Revision Phase of March 1983. You may vote on a single revision to existing technologies or spells.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:50:44 pm by johiah »
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2018, 05:43:54 pm »

Weelp.
Blink is not worth a revision right now. If anyone has an idea for something to salvage from it in a revision, please go ahead, but we're best off waiting for another design to fix it.

Revision: Reactive Consciousness (Force Armor +Toughness)
We've managed to create a primitive magical "consciousness" with our modifications to Force Armor. Now, when we ask our magineers what exactly they mean by "consciousness", they start going on overly long explanations wherein they contradict themselves multiple times, so we're just sticking with "consciousness" for now.
These primitive consciousnesses can react in basic ways. In fact, that's their trademark feature. Being able to react to stimuli in ways that don't require large volumes of the magical equivalent of "if-then" statements. If we can increase their ability to react to stimuli, then we can hopefully improve Force Armor.

The reactivity of the consciousness in FA is improved to be able to reflexively "reinforce" areas that are just about to/currently being hit by external forces, Instead of wasting energy compensating for the external force on the entire shield, Force Armor can just focus on exactly where the force is hitting. This should effectively increase the toughness and durability of Force Armor.
TL;DR: Upgrade the Force Armor logic to reactively reinforce areas that are about to be/are being hit, increasing effective toughness+durability.

Revision: DNSIT Mk.2 "Necktap"
The Necktap Mk.2 is a fairly straightforward revamp of the original... prototype.

Luckily we can actually draw from our experience in designing magic with this revision! Not by much, and not in the traditional sense, but we can. Bringing up our notes on the functioning of the human mind from our attempt to, against direct orders, (and I'm quoting) "artificial magic brain" in the Inherent Logic revision to Force Armor. It's not a tremendous amount of relevance, but it's more than important enough to keep in mind and bring up the notes of in our revision process for the new iteration of the Necktap.

The most important part of this revision is input. By some more precise direct delivery of data into the spinal cord, we can actually hijack the feed. To use an analogy, the current Necktap is basically a tiny freeway onramp entering a huge freeway. The input gets lost in the freeway traffic, and just ends up worsening traffic. By tweaking the exact spots where we "plug in" the Necktap and the bandwidth of data delivery, we effectively make the regular (non-life-essential) neural signals an onramp onto our freeway to the brain; and the signals can't even enter the freeway because the traffic is too intense(/rude) to give them the opportunity to.
Or, in other words, we increase bandwidth and choose a better spot to tap into the spinal cord in order to actually hijack the neural feed.

The other component of this is creating the 3D environment. 3D environments already exist, albeit in a limited fashion, today. And we don't actually have to completely render it, as the brain does some of our work for us. Rather than have our engineers go through a time-intensive process where they assign an appearance to everything, using up computational power and man hours, we just assign a global appearance filter to data. Everything goes through the same "translation process" to 3D. It may be a little confusing at first for new operatives, but a couple hours of training should cover the basics.

Decreasing cost isn't essential, but would be nice, considering there may be new commercially available parts for us to use, and we're not fumbling around in the dark - we know what kind of parts the Necktap needs. But it is not a priority at all.

TL;DR: Fix the main flaws (doesn't fully hijack input; doesn't create 3D environment) of the Necktap, in order to make it work at all.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2018, 06:31:44 pm »

Simplified Blink

Now that we have established a baseline effective spell with blink, we need to make it usable. The first step is to simplify the magical equations down from the complex researched initial findings to a more usable, possibly even numerical form. This should remove the complex nature from the spell. If this step is done, the spell architecture should be adjusted to improve the spell efficiency. If time permits.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2018, 06:58:00 pm »

Quote from: Revision
DNSIT Mk.2 "Necktap" (1): Happerry
I'm just going to throw this out here to get a vote going.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2018, 08:32:45 pm »

Ptw

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2018, 11:17:54 pm »

DNSIT Mk.2 "Necktap" (2): Happerry, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2018, 03:20:21 pm »

DNSIT Mk.2 "Necktap" (3): Happerry, Rockeater, Draignean
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2018, 03:20:47 pm »

DNSIT Mk.2 "Necktap" (3): Happerry, Rockeater, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2018, 10:10:07 am »

-----
Franchi SPAS-12 (1): DoubloonSeven,

Avanti!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2018, 02:56:04 pm »

-----
Franchi SPAS-12 (2): DoubloonSeven, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2018, 01:22:00 pm »

Thantro Revision and Request Phase

DNSIT Mk.2 "Necktap": (Difficult) [1+1-1=1]
Our attempt at improving the necktap goes nowhere. All of the funds that were to be allotted to it were suddenly withdrawn to a clerical error, meaning we couldn't test prototypes, only theorize. No actual knowledge was gained either due to the lack of testing, just theories. This may slightly speed uo future research.

Weapon Request: (Frenchi SPAS-12) [4+3=7]
Our request for a combat shotgun goes through amazingly well. The requisitioned SPAS-12s work as advertised, and we were able to acquire some specialized ammo, all for cheaper than the Foal rifles. It comes with two types of shells. BB and slug. However, any future shells, if requisitioned, will also have a cheaper cost and be very easy to acquire. It can be fit with a choke for effective accuracy at either 20 meters, or 40 meters. The first will do less damage past that point, and the latter will do more damage if it actually hits, assuming the target is closer. The slug is accurate up to 80 meters. The feed system is 8+1 rounds. Slugs have an AP of 1 at less than 60 meters. BB round do either a lot of concentrated damage, or less spread out damage, depending on range. Generally comparitively ineffective against armor unless very close. 5 supply. 4 EU unloaded, 5 EU loaded. 8 round clip +1 in barrel. 9 rounds 1 EU.

Our contact with command left a note in the dropoff. You have the following missions: Protect those stolen pistols. This will be their last chance to recover them. Protect a factory. Intercept a scientist selling company technology to Mondragon. Disrupt an enemy business meeting. And intercept a weapon's dealer looking to make a deal with Mondragon. More details forthcoming later, but I have things to do right now.

For some reason you feel like he means "Play Crusader Kings 2 with members of both research teams."

6 force armor enchantments

Spoiler: Agents (click to show/hide)

It is now the Tactics Phase of March 1983. You may vote on which missions to perform, general tactics, agents, and equipment.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2018, 12:19:15 am »

Boom, you looking for this?

First: Sell:
  • (+10) 10x Foal Pistols

EDIT: Since I figure we may as well use our unused operatives for that delicious experience...

For a grand total of 76 Supply, leaving us with 59 Supply leftover.
I almost definitely messed something up, so lemme know if I did. Or give suggestions. I believe we have Zachary, Mara, Jones, Zoey, Rick, and Abednago, leftover, as well as some pistols and combat suits. If anyone has an idea for the Weapon Dealer disruption mission, let me know, but I'm tired and posting what I have for now.
Chiefwaffles' Plan (1): Chiefwaffles

TL;DR:
Literally push their executives doing the meeting out the window, plummeting to their deaths. Leave absolutely zero trail to us.
Snipe our traitor scientist, and use force wall to crash their escape vehicle if we fail at sniping. Then scramble.
Use lots of guns and actually test out our Force Armor along with facility security if they try attacking the facility.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:07:44 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2018, 05:32:02 am »

Chiefwaffles' Plan (2): Chiefwaffles, Happerry
Forenia Forever!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2018, 08:38:26 am »

Chiefwaffles' Plan (3): Chiefwaffles, Happerry, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10