Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Necromancers In Gaming - Suggestion List  (Read 4814 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers In Gaming - Suggestion List
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:04 am »

Oh, hey... maybe not, but Black and White 1 had a little secret/exploit that allowed you to raise the dead.

If you took a villager's corpse and manually sent it through a teleported (there needed to be at least one other teleport set up, so it would actually travel out the other side), then the corpse would pick itself back up and slowly crawl back to its house, where it would "sleep" until it had regenerated all of its health. After that, it would go back to work as usual.

Very odd and somewhat buggy behavior, because they were still treated as a dead body, meaning the other villagers would follow it around and try to mourn their death. Either that or run away in terror.

Also, if you picked them up by hand, they'd go back to being a dead-dead body and you'd need to send them through the tunnel again, which meant you couldn't have disciple deadites.

But, left to their own devices, they would happily toil away at whatever regular jobs the village had to offer, without danger of starvation, disease, or even old age. They would still stop working at night in order to go to bed, but this seemed to be more of just a habit than fulfilling any real need.

Generally a good idea to try and separate the living from the dead, considering how disruptive just one skeleton could be in a living village, but with this you could make a little town of the dead where they would work (and worship, if you raised the totem) endlessly for your glory.

Couldn't send them to battle though, so there's that.

Aside from that, I suppose you could also count things like Right-Click to Necromance if you want something really simple, or even Sacrifice if you're open to a somewhat loose interpretation of the theme. Necromancers in Sacrifice still make their creatures the same way as anyone else (which, coincidentally, is ritually ripping the souls out of dead enemies and using them to form new bodies from the ether), but they get access to what's possibly the most overpowered spell in the game, that allows them to bring their own defeated creatures back to life with just a minor incantation. Necromancer units also don't regenerate normally, and need to rely on leeching health from enemies in order to survive. ...not that it matters much, since if they do die you can just resurrect them for less mana than it costs to cast the actual heal spell.

There's also Magic and Mayhem, an obscure little title from long ago with a curious spellcasting system and claymation graphics. Again, you're not directly raising the corpses of your enemies, but zombies could chow down on the dead whenever there was a lull in the fighting, and lots of other units could similarly interact with bodies. The undead were also notable for being immune to the plague spell, but they could still become infected by it. This meant you could create little "Typhoid Marys" of your frontliners and let them spread disease amongst the ranks of your foes.

It bears noting that YOU were not undead and could just as easily catch the plague from your own dudes as the enemy, if you weren't careful. And there was only one spell in the game that could directly cure plague, and that element could be made into other useful spells instead if you felt you could get by without the curing. So, y'know, think carefully about your strategy.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:27 am »

Reprisal

I don't know but this thread makes me remember this little gem.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 08:06:42 am »

Managed to find the thread I mentioned earlier (along with a couple others). Apparently, while being phone-locked for the moment does mean that searching the forums for anything is a right pain, it also means that I've apparently got nothing better to do. So, here.

Snip

Snap

Snop

Most of the same suggestions have been made, along with a couple others. There was apparently also an RPG of sorts being developed under the name of "Nekro" that cleared Kickstarter and made it to Steam, but was "99% complete" when the devs refused to work with each other any longer and the game got scrapped.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 09:34:10 am »

I am pretty sure that one of the devs for nekro took a bunch of money and left, leaving the other to pick up the pieces.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 04:33:14 pm »

moment i read the title i was thinking on adding TESV: Skyrim to the suggestions. of course it doesnt really have a full necromancer experience but you can learn necromantic spells on top of being able to wear clothing, light or heavy armor to get that lich or death knight looks (as far as the aesthetics allow).

it doesnt allow to have a lot of undead tho, you can summon some skeleton minions with some shouts or using spells but as far as raising undead goes you can have up to 2 permanent undead.

there's also a necromantic magic school in Mortal Online. not sure on how much undead you can raise with it but i've seen that it has different undeads which can be built out of using different components to get different stats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »

Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 05:03:00 pm »

I'd second Path of Exile. It's pretty good for a slightly more refined Diablo 2 style necromancer experience - takes a while to get up and running but it's a very viable play style when you do get it working.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 06:41:40 pm »

Most of the same suggestions have been made, along with a couple others. There was apparently also an RPG of sorts being developed under the name of "Nekro" that cleared Kickstarter and made it to Steam, but was "99% complete" when the devs refused to work with each other any longer and the game got scrapped.

Thanks for that - I was digging through the crypts threads for ideas previously, but I remember looking through those same threads years back and was disappointed nothing really new had come up.

Many of these games are ones that I have already played (if not recently) in an attempt to scratch the itch, but I'm always on the lookout for something new as well. Honestly there are too many games on Steam to try digging

Aside from Nekro (which the developer released a copy of to torrent sites) there was another game that got Kickstarted and subsequently cancelled (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80652106/necromancer?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=necromancer).

I think I may have to start organizing these games by genre, but the suggestions so far have been added to my list. I think of all of them, I haven't tried Middle Earth, Warlords Battlecry 3, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, Grim Dawn and Nox.

Black and White 1/2 I feel don't really count, but I am also saddened by a lack of god games in recent years - those were some of my favorite games growing up as well. I still have my B&W2 CD somewhere, I think.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:45:13 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 07:45:15 pm »

Yeeeaah, it's a shame to see the genre get neglected... I mean, there have been plenty of "God game" titles, like Reus, Godus, From Dust, and now that new Crest game. But just because there are a lot of titles, doesn't mean there are any particularly good ones... And there's never been anything like Black and White since, well... Black and White.

And while Nox is a really cool game, especially mechanically speaking, I'll have to echo Frumple in that you really don't get to be a necromancer like the antagonist... The conjurer class can be fun though, even if it is kind of an odd hybrid thingy.

Oh, hey... haven't played it myself, but there's a little game on Steam called Counter Spell, where the warlock class can apparently just conquer the map with a veritable army of dead and/or demonic monstrosities. Like I said, can't personally vouch for how it plays, but it looks to have some neat mechanics and possibilities. Have actually been thinking of making a thread about it recently, to see if anyone here had played it.

I remember Titan Quest having some dead-raising skills, but I don't remember them being especially good most of the time. Then again I really never played it for that long, so I wouldn't know.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 01:23:00 am »

I remember Titan Quest having some dead-raising skills, but I don't remember them being especially good most of the time. Then again I really never played it for that long, so I wouldn't know.
I considered mentioning Titan Quest since it's the precursor to Grim Dawn and a lot of people prefer the aesthetic of the former, but at least in the army of the dead side of necromancy I think it was pretty limited.  The Spirit tree had the perma-pet Liche King that certainly fit the bill and the Warfare tree had a skill to summon 3 temporary spectral warriors, but that was about it - no skeletal/zombie hordes from what I remember.

Although that said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has modded in a necromancer class for the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 10:32:20 am »

All the “god” games I’ve seen recently are mostly trivial indie games. I felt especially burned by Reus, which is basically a puzzle game with a “god-themed” skin.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 03:02:37 pm »

While the number of servants at any one time is terribly limited, Divinity: Original Sin 2 does have a full Necromancy spell school where you can do things like turn corpses into bloated, suicide-bombing abominations, summon an arachnoid monstrosity made of bones, or just make blood rain from the sky. Combined with the Summoning school, you can create freakish flesh servants that while not *technically* dead, are quite horrible-looking and that can do stuff like spit congealed blood missiles at your enemies (which then causes the enemy to start bleeding, somehow...). Good ol' corpse explosion is here too.

Bonus points are awarded for the fact that you can actually play as a skeletal horror yourself if you pick the undead race during character creation, or you can devour the limbs and organs of your enemies as an elf. Or do both as an undead elf.

Scope is quite limited though, and none of the minions are permanent. Still, probably a more interesting necromancy experience than BG, which was dreadfully lacking in that department (regardless of how ridiculous Horrid Wilting was as a spell).

EDIT: Found an old Reddit thread on the topic. Pretty much just the same recommendations as here, except for the addition of EverQuest, Guild Wars, Rift and... Pikmin.

Well, really, from a mechanics standpoint, that's pretty accurate. You've got your horde of mostly-mindless minions throwing their expendable lives away in order to bring down your foes, and after that they drag the corpses back to your dark tower (okay, so it's a flower on stilts, but close enough) and carve their flesh into more obedient bodies for the gnashing jaws of your war machine.

...but yeah, most folks are probably gonna get hung up on the whole "adorable" factor.

EDIT2: Oh, hey. Found a thread on Giantbomb about this, and someone mentioned a mod for HeXen 1 (or Doom) called Wrath of Cronos. Looks interesting, no idea if it's still playable.

You should be able to get all of HeXen's assets for your flavor of Doom install, as I'm pretty sure nobody's made a standalone modernization of HeXen.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 10:19:29 pm »

Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aw man, that's great and makes me want to get that even more. Just recently went back and got a 100% in the first one, still really fun to run around and stab things.
...still costs $60 though. Maybe next year~
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:21:59 pm by Egan_BW »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 03:45:47 am »

I've just completed Path of Exile (first 5 acts) as a full on necromancer and it's...incredibly fun - the best necromancer experience in my opinion. Currently I have a total of 8 zombies, plus 10 skeletons, plus two spectres and a golem which means a horde of 21 as standard.

However.

You can then get a skill called 'vaal summon skeleton' which summons a roughly 30 strong skeleton army (with skeleton generals etc.) for a short duration.

However. However.

I also picked two necromancer enemies to be my spectres (which stick with you full time), so they also raise zombies and skeletons. The screen is basically just a sea of my undead minions. Add to that some large area curses/contagion to weaken enemies, and a 'flesh offering' spell that makes my minions go really fast, and I've never smashed through the game so quickly.

I've never had a better necromancer experience, and whilst it's a bit OP, you still have to be careful because putting all those skills into minion raising means that you're pretty weak physically. There's also so much more I could do if I wanted to (getting a six socket armour so I could put all minion support gems in, or get some auras going to boost my minions more)

Only things you need to be aware of is that you'll have to do a lot of vaal area runs to get the summon skeleton gem which drops randomly - I luckily got mine pretty early on, but without that I wouldn't have had a good panic button. Also, the labyrinth boss fights (which you need to do to ascend to the necromancer ascendancy class and get some really good passives) are really, really hard as they don't have any bodies for you to summon - meaning you'll have to chain up a skill to give you corpses, and then raise them if yours die, all while your very weak character takes a lot of hits.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 10:30:48 am »

Masters of anima could be fitting that itch. It´s comming out at the 10th of april. While I don´t know if you can rise death you can summon hordes of minions (it´s the central gameplay aspect) with having up to 100 following your orders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3