Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How far is fatal?  (Read 2356 times)

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How far is fatal?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »

I settled on 17 floors, and put my barracks at the bottom of the shaft, so my dwarves will be waiting to practice on live bait.  Not right at the bottom, don't want goblin bodies taking out my dwarves.  I'm cheap though so the floor is only copper.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:37:46 pm by Haggoroth »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 11:07:07 pm »

15-20 for severe injuries and eventual death, 30+ for guaranteed splats (slams into the obstacle and blows apart).

So 15-20 if you want neatly crippled training victims... or if you need them for !!science!!.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 06:55:02 am »

15-20 with cage traps on the floor where they impact?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 07:19:01 am »

You can use an automatic atom-smasher at the bottom of your pit, as a bonus it will automatically dispose of the garbage, clutter and miasma. On the downside it will destroy goblinite and has a size limitation for what it can smash.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 07:39:13 am »

You can use an automatic atom-smasher at the bottom of your pit, as a bonus it will automatically dispose of the garbage, clutter and miasma. On the downside it will destroy goblinite and has a size limitation for what it can smash.
If the fall is long enough to guarantee a kill of whatever falls an atom smasher can smash their corpses...

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 05:29:58 pm »

For the bottom flooring I would recommend, in order, cinnabar, pitchblende and cobaltite. I'm partial to cobaltite. Also use boulders for the floor instead of blocks as blocks are lighter than boulders.

I had a 20z pit with a full copper spinning blade trap at the bottom that I would throw prisoners in.

Fun fact, if you butcher a sentient creature this way and let it rot to bone you can use some of the pieces to make jewelry. Dwarfs won't butcher but they will use the parts if they are handy.  That being said they don't like it as they recognize it as being a part of a dead person. Still you could make some goblin bone bolts (made with real goblin!).

Goblins have feelings now so I would recommend not cleaning the pit between battles, just grabbing the spoils and leaving the blood and bodies should demoralize your enemies considerably. I think one person drove a goblin insane by doing that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 02:52:06 am »

For the bottom flooring I would recommend, in order, cinnabar, pitchblende and cobaltite. I'm partial to cobaltite. Also use boulders for the floor instead of blocks as blocks are lighter than boulders.

I had a 20z pit with a full copper spinning blade trap at the bottom that I would throw prisoners in.

Fun fact, if you butcher a sentient creature this way and let it rot to bone you can use some of the pieces to make jewelry. Dwarfs won't butcher but they will use the parts if they are handy.  That being said they don't like it as they recognize it as being a part of a dead person. Still you could make some goblin bone bolts (made with real goblin!).

Goblins have feelings now so I would recommend not cleaning the pit between battles, just grabbing the spoils and leaving the blood and bodies should demoralize your enemies considerably. I think one person drove a goblin insane by doing that.
Your information source is outdated. Usage of "naturally" butchered remains of sapients ceased to be a thing with 0.42.01. To do it with modern versions of DF you have to reanimate them and THEN have them "naturally" butchered, although since you can reanimate arms, you can probably reanimate those, rekill them, and then do the crafting when they've rotted down to piles of bone as well.

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 02:44:18 am »

Your information source is outdated. Usage of "naturally" butchered remains of sapients ceased to be a thing with 0.42.01. To do it with modern versions of DF you have to reanimate them and THEN have them "naturally" butchered, although since you can reanimate arms, you can probably reanimate those, rekill them, and then do the crafting when they've rotted down to piles of bone as well.
Ah thanks for the updated info.
Pages: 1 [2]