Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with well Freezing  (Read 930 times)

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with well Freezing
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:46:23 am »

Hey there Folks!
I build three wells over my cystern in a mediterranean climate, so water will freeze in the winter.
Before building the wells I used a bridge as a roof for my lodging to save on materials but
sadly it seemed to not count as solid floor. So now the water tiles in my cystern have been
exposed to the outside and are now labled "above ground/inside". Although there are two bridges
and a solid floor now above the wells they are still freezing in the Winter, rendering them useless.

So my questions are:
- is it correct, that the "above ground" tag is causing it to freeze?
- can I remove this tag through some measure?
- is this tag propagated downwards? So if I build a lodging with a solid floor as roof outside where
the floor of the ground is labeled "above ground/inside" and I channel this floor, does the tile below
inherit this tag? Is this preventable?
Thank you for your time
-Feng

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with well Freezing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:44:45 am »

Once a tile has been exposed to the sky it will always remain exposed, regardless of what you do in game. You can of course use DFHack to change the flags (I'm not sure if there are scripts/plugins for that, but it's possible to write).

I believe it's the above ground property that causes outdoor temperatures to take effect (and allows you to grow surface crops).

I believe making a roof over your tile before you channel it should protect the channeled tile from the elements. As you've found out, drawbridges do not.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:32 am »

Anything "above ground" freezes and anything that was once exposed to the surface, even if it is multiply roofed over, is "above ground"  (I believe people have even created "above ground hell" this way, I believe.)  There really is no way to counter this, I believe, short of turning off temperature, although a partial fix can be implemented via clever use of magma as with all things.  A "water heater" that prevents freezing of nearby water tiles can be created via a magma reservoir around the well, for example.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:57:39 am »

roof does not protect from freezing.  once above ground, it will freeze, no matter how many roofs you have over it.

Once a tile has been exposed to the sky it will always remain exposed, regardless of what you do in game. You can of course use DFHack to change the flags (I'm not sure if there are scripts/plugins for that, but it's possible to write).

I believe it's the above ground property that causes outdoor temperatures to take effect (and allows you to grow surface crops).

I believe making a roof over your tile before you channel it should protect the channeled tile from the elements. As you've found out, drawbridges do not.

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 12:35:43 pm »

So I basically can only create non-freezing wells on subterrainean tiles?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »

So I basically can only create non-freezing wells on subterrainean tiles?
Correct.  When a tile is 'above ground', that status is permanent.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:06:17 pm »

Anything "above ground" freezes and anything that was once exposed to the surface, even if it is multiply roofed over, is "above ground"  (I believe people have even created "above ground hell" this way, I believe.)  There really is no way to counter this, I believe, short of turning off temperature, although a partial fix can be implemented via clever use of magma as with all things.  A "water heater" that prevents freezing of nearby water tiles can be created via a magma reservoir around the well, for example.
If I understand it correctly, the well heater would have to be clever, because I think non flowing magma (not to be confused with magma flow which is something completely different) does not transfer heat, so you'd need to keep the magma moving (sloshing might be enough, but I wouldn't trust that without confirmation from a credible source).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 01:13:24 pm »

You could make a secondary cistern (just a 2-z pond) a short distance from your well, fill it from the well, and that will provide a replacement water source during the freezing months. Then start on that magma solution.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.