Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: (SG) Minotaur: Awakening  (Read 4565 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Minotaur: Awakening
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 05:53:31 pm »

I generally agree that we should visit the shrine at the Crescent Grotto rather than risk dealing with dark gods. We should continue working on getting the opportunity to punish the slaver for no better reason than that's basically our job in the world, so why not. We don't seem to have any particularly good reason to visit the elf estate, but if party members wish to make connections with the elf-cow then I won't stop them, and perhaps adding her to our party or at least to our connections might be a good idea (although I am loth to reveal sentience to anyone until we've had a chance to talk to a god about it).

I suppose if Ellering has nothing better to do then we could see about putting her on the case of the slaver. Perhaps she can find a way to compromise him so we can deliver Minotaur Justice.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 09:21:17 pm »

Hm. Maybe the Dark Idol's mad at him because he's not enjoying himself? Curious situation.

I generally agree that we should visit the shrine at the Crescent Grotto rather than risk dealing with dark gods. We should continue working on getting the opportunity to punish the slaver for no better reason than that's basically our job in the world, so why not. We don't seem to have any particularly good reason to visit the elf estate, but if party members wish to make connections with the elf-cow then I won't stop them, and perhaps adding her to our party or at least to our connections might be a good idea (although I am loth to reveal sentience to anyone until we've had a chance to talk to a god about it).

I suppose if Ellering has nothing better to do then we could see about putting her on the case of the slaver. Perhaps she can find a way to compromise him so we can deliver Minotaur Justice.
I feel like we should either bang this asshole's daughters and visit the shrine while we're here, or give up on bullying an unhappy laborer and move on. Punishing him while also avoiding the Dark Idol strikes me as a wasted opportunity.

I think I agree we have no pressing need to visit the estate or get in good with the elf we serviced, but we're gonna be here another five days, so if we're not going for the Idol they might as well work on that.

If Lady Ellering doesn't feel safe around the vile sodomy elves, she should start getting to know the local slaves. It won't be the most familiar social setting, but it'll be a good chance for both of us to learn more about them.

Little concerned about leaving Nesh here alone with those hobgoblins, but I don't particularly want to ruin her... fun? Revenge? Not too sure about telling her what to do without a concrete reason.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »

Hm. Maybe the Dark Idol's mad at him because he's not enjoying himself? Curious situation.
I think the Dark Idol just likes the idea that he would suffer...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »

I think the Dark Idol just likes the idea that he would suffer...
The Idol's devoted to hedonism, so I don't think it's just a general pain and suffering thing, and we know it's mad at him specifically. But we also know he's a slave driver who's unhappy and overworked, which is a weird combination.

Might help if we knew anything about the Dark Idols beyond being evil gods.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 04:42:39 pm »

Somebody care to end this impasse?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:10 pm »

As IronyOwl classily put it, let’s bang this asshole’s daughters.
Black lives matter.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 11:23:17 pm »

As IronyOwl classily put it, let’s bang this asshole’s daughters.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 05:46:26 pm »

Wandering Subherd:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mazlyn is instructed to keep working on getting you into the shrine, while Frell is asked to keep up his research into Nimivid and his daughters.

---

The day passes uneventfully as Mazyln drags her 'bodyguard' around from appointment to appointment. The only thing of interest that happens is that you get the opportunity to quiz your herd on the nature of the Dark Idols. Lady Ellering and Nesh both explain the strange wicked gods to you, and their stories are unfortunately quite different. The human cow, on one hand, is a well educated scholar of lore and history, but while the dwarf is clearly a bit nuts, it seems likely that she may actually have some personal connection to the Dark Idols.

Lady Ellering tells you that the Dark Idols stem from a historical event known as Reginux's Folly.

---

Reginux was the last true and undisputed King of the Gods; One of the creators of the First Race, to whom the deities of Human, Elf, and Dwarf alike would bow. Shortly after the Dark Lords rose, Reginux noticed that these foul beings drew their power from the evil of mortals, and decided to take action. He decreed that free will would be compromised, mortals would be rendered physically incapable of committing sin. His hope was that this rash measure would starve the Dark Lords of power, and that he could restore things to the way they were after the vile beings were slain.

For a time, this seemed to work. The Dark Lords grew noticeably weaker, and the forces of good slowly began to eat away at their domains, but it was all a trick; The Dark Lords were playing possum. Sixty six years after free was first revoked, just as it seemed the foul kings were about to fall, the Dark Lords sprang their trap, and used powerful magic to give life to the unfulfilled dark mortal desires of the last six and a half decades.

The newly created beings were truly mighty, and set about making war against the gods. Many deities were slain in the initial charge of the Dark Idols, and Reginux, realizing that his decree was only making his new enemy stronger, restored free will to the world. Eventually this restored balance to the cosmos, and the power of the Dark Idol was reduced to the point where they could no longer challenge the gods to direct combat, but not before Reginux himself was killed. In the aftermath it was determined that there was no god left worthy to rule the four pantheons, nor could any single being be trusted with the power to tamper with free will, so it was decided that the Pantheon of each race would be left to their own devices - without a king to rule them.

The Dark Idols now leave the world in a catch 22. If mortals act on their sinful urges, they soil the world and draw it further from the gods design. But if mortal desires are repressed, the Dark Idols will grow stronger. If the Dark Idols gain enough power from mortalkind, they will be able to resurrect the Dark Lords and plunge the world into war once again.

---

Nesh, on the other hand, tells you the story of They Who were Forged by Foul Prayer.

---

The mighty dark lords twisted life into intelligent forms and beings that could be used to challenge the gods and those loyal to them. This granted the Dark Lords legions of servants and soldiers, but also posed them a problem; The Dark Lords, by their very nature, could not receive prayer, but their mortal servants, by their very nature, were inclined to pray. If no solution could be found, the forces of evil would eventually begin praying to the gods, which would compromise their very purpose as enemies to all things divine.

A solution to this conundrum was eventually found. As mighty beings who rivaled the gods themselves, the Dark Lords had many powerful items, artifacts, and servants, and so after some debate amount themselves, they began to encourage their followers to pray to these things. Some of the items and monsters that received prayer were given life and sentience, and of those some received power that rivaled the divine. Today eight such beings, animated and empowered by the prayers of the forces of evil long ago, exist, and we call them the Dark Idols.

Each Dark Idol is still first and foremost a material thing that exists in this world, that could hypothetically be found, exploited, or even destroyed. Most of the Dark Idols that exist today were captured by the ancient minotuars, but were too tough for them to destroy; Instead, they were sealed away in a vault in the Golden City far beneath the labyrinth. The minotaur thought that hiding the Dark Idols would break their power, but it did not stop them from receiving prayer, so all locking them away did was grant them protection.

The Dark Idols have also taken steps to protect themselves; As they gain power through prayer, they cache parts of their divine being in various artifacts, monsters, and people around the world. To truly destroy the Dark Idols one would have to destroy every fell artifact, every practitioner of dark magic, every monster with foul powers, and every hero of the evil races, before braving the labrynth, finding the golden city, breaking into the vault, and unmaking what even the ancient minotaur lords could not destroy.

---

You enjoy another good night's sleep, and find Frell waiting for you when you awake. He has been talking to the slaves at the lodge to learn more about Nimivid and his family, and so far the conversations have been fruitful.

Nimivid, you learn, is unhappy as he is little more than a slave himself. He is contractually bound for life to work as the Lodge's slavedriver, receiving only a modest salary, an apartment, and two days off a year as compensation. The only way for Nimivid to get out of his contract is for him to get married to an elf who lives outside the walls of Lithsnow, and to get one of his family members to assume the obligations of the contract in his place.

Frell goes on to explain that Nimivid himself was roped into the contract when his elder brother, the previous lodge slave driver, found a wife around the same time his own marriage was expiring. Nimivid was initially kind to the slaves, but his behavior grew worse as it began to dawn on him that he would likely be stuck in Lithsnow forever. The older slaves, who remember the far crueler reign of Nimivid's brother, are actually somewhat fond of their master, and some even count themselves as the elf's friends.

Of Nimivid's three daughters, two help him out regularly with the slaves.

His eldest, Crulyl, loves the mountain air of Lithsnow, is an avid skier, and wants nothing more than for her father to find a second wife so that she may take his contract and remain in town forever. The thought of this terrifies the slaves, as she makes her father seem humane by comparison; In the past year alone she has beaten two slaves to death and crippled a third.

His youngest, Mastiela is likely the reason that Nimivid has drawn the wrath of The Dark Idol Ineqx; Mastiela, you learn, wishes to be initiated as an acolyte of Ineqx, which her father forbids. This has put the relationship between father and daughter on the rocks, and the pair has been taking out their issues on the slaves. Mastiela has taken to beating the crap out of the older slaves that Nimivid is fond of, while Nimivid in turn has begun to rape the younger slaves whom Mastiela counts among her friends and lovers.

His middle daughter Paylm does not work with the slaves, and spends much of her time traveling for some business or another. The slaves have assured Frell that she is in town at the present time, however.

Frell reckons that with the help of the slaves, he can arrange an unexpected meeting between you and your choice of Nimivid, Mastiela, or Crulyl as soon as this afternoon, so that you may hand out punishments. If you wish to punish Paylm, Frell is confident that he can arrange a meeting if given a day or two to track her movements.

Two days remain until the planned ritual at the Shrine of Ineqx. Four days remain until the caravan bound for Crescent Grotto departs. How do you proceed?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2018, 06:21:33 pm »

I Suggest we start with the older daughter, move on to the younger, and suggest to the middle one that she avoid the fate her sisters brought upon themselves... eventually.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »

Cut short, Nimivid has been trampled by the system set into place by the powers that be, to a point where he himself became "corrupted". This doesn't excuse his actions, but if we punish him directly, I wager he would become even more evil. That's not what justice is about. That's the opposite of it, actually. Bu~t we don't have to punish him, and reading about his daughters who would be on the receiving end, safe the middle one, I'd say the other two are both fair game.

I'm fine with one of them "partaking" the ritual with us.
Not that I particulary care which one of them. Heck, why not go for both?

Continuing from above, the real question isn't if the daughters deserve such treatment, but if it is wise for us to do so.
By both Lady Ellering and Nesh's accounts, the dark idols are a by-product of a war, on which we were on the opposite side off. Asking such a being about why we gained Intellect, sounds like a bad gamble to me.

I'd say we might want to cut our losses, and seek out a temple of the gods instead. As in, not doing the Ritual in the first place.
So I'm not in favour of doing the ritual, but if we do, do the daughters. Yes, that's a good way to put it, I suppose.

I'd also be supportive of doing some justice work "pro bono", provided we don't risk too much by doing so.

Bonus points if we do so without giving the dark idol what it wants.

Going back to the two stories that were told, and reading between the lines, I think combining them both to be half-truths makes for an interesting picture. What if Reginux robbed the people of their free will for other reasons, which in turn gave birth to the dark gods in the first place? The dark idols possibly being imprisoned in the very place we protect an entrance to, could also be a clue as to why we gained sentience. Well, we'd better seek out the true gods, which should give at least some answers.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2018, 06:29:45 pm »

I Suggest we start with the older daughter, move on to the younger, and suggest to the middle one that she avoid the fate her sisters brought upon themselves... eventually.
+1
Black lives matter.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 06:41:54 pm »

Sure, get the bone on, that's fine. I mean, do it even if we aren't going to visit the Idol, because we are a minotaur and our purpose is to judge people.

It will be necessary to kill Nimivid and probably at least Crulyl as well, after they have borne witness to whatever degradations are felt to be necessary, though. We cannot allow them to return to their ongoing lives of sin, or possibly become even worse as a result; and besides that, it wouldn't do to have witnesses going around talking about a minotaur going around judging and punishing people, especially elf slavers. Not to mention that the best way to account justly for the fact that Nimivid's misbehaviour is induced by his unwanted obligation is to, well, release him from it.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 07:26:53 pm »

Can mazlyin (a proper assassin) and nesh set an "accident"  on the older daughter and the slaver? the middle one might become the slaver, and let's hope she isn't the worst, and the younger will fuck whoever she wants

but only if it's possible to do this without incriminating ourselves, then we just leave this place
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2018, 07:40:05 pm »

Cut short, Nimivid has been trampled by the system set into place by the powers that be, to a point where he himself became "corrupted". This doesn't excuse his actions, but if we punish him directly, I wager he would become even more evil. That's not what justice is about. That's the opposite of it, actually. Bu~t we don't have to punish him, and reading about his daughters who would be on the receiving end, safe the middle one, I'd say the other two are both fair game.

+1 to this. The youngest will likely attend on her own, but if not she surely wants to; it shouldn't be hard to persuade her or convince the high priestess to give her an invitation. The eldest will be trickier, but she's due for a pummeling anyway so it shouldn't be hard to locate her and let her know she'll be part of that ritual or else.

We should keep our cover as far as possible, but between imposing body language and our varied entourage it shouldn't be hard to get the message across.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2018, 08:19:36 pm »

+1 to this. The youngest will likely attend on her own, but if not she surely wants to; it shouldn't be hard to persuade her or convince the high priestess to give her an invitation. The eldest will be trickier, but she's due for a pummeling anyway so it shouldn't be hard to locate her and let her know she'll be part of that ritual or else.

We should keep our cover as far as possible, but between imposing body language and our varied entourage it shouldn't be hard to get the message across.
+1
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]