Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Yet Another Evolution Game [Blobs That Eat Sulphur]  (Read 8785 times)

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Evolution Game [Small Cell in a Big World]
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »

Evolve simple proteins that can be used by chemoreceptors on our species cells.
(I'm assuming our cells can create/use vacuoles)

These proteins would be expelled from the cells (like a toxin, but not used as a toxin) when in high nutrient density regions. The higher the density, the more proteins created. Cells may be able to target regions with lots of these proteins or leave regions with fewer proteins, to maximize population.
+1

DynasticMutt

• Bay Watcher
  • This picture took hours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 09:49:26 pm »

These proteins would be expelled from the cells (like a toxin, but not used as a toxin) when in high nutrient density regions. The higher the density, the more proteins created. Cells may be able to target regions with lots of these proteins or leave regions with fewer proteins, to maximize population.
+1
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:20 am »

+1
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »

Develop a cell wall with porins that ruthlessly break RNA fragments into nucleotides before allowing them in, then.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 01:11:33 pm »

Develop a cell wall with porins that ruthlessly break RNA fragments into nucleotides before allowing them in, then.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 02:46:34 pm »

Enhance our protein synthesis abilities
Lets try to get some ribosomes
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:05 pm »

+1
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 12:35:42 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 07:54:35 am »

Some restriction enzymes could help us deal with this annoying viroids, and maybe net us some interesting genes to integrate into our own genome.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:15:29 pm by Leonardo8 »

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 10:46:06 am »

Some restriction enzymes could help us deal with this annoyin viroids, and maybe net us some interesting genes to integrate intoo our own genome.

+1
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 10:46:58 am »

Some restriction enzymes could help us deal with this annoyin viroids, and maybe net us some interesting genes to integrate intoo our own genome.

+1
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 12:17:34 pm »

Wait, i didn't noticed we already have those. Edit my action to "try and make the bg step, from Rna to Dna." We need to became more complex so we can synthetize proteins better.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »

Wait, i didn't noticed we already have those. Edit my action to "try and make the bg step, from Rna to Dna." We need to became more complex so we can synthetize proteins better.
+1

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 12:47:05 pm »

I have an alternative proposal that may help us more in the short term.

Develop a marker for RNA fragments produced by our own polymerases. Nothing too dramatic, just something like maybe a magnesium-bearing tag on the 5′ end, so that we can produce more selective exonucleases that won't degrade our own stuff (meaning we can produce more of them without worrying about fucking over our own regulatory processes), and maybe even upgrade our translational machinery to not translate foreign fragments. It's no perfect solution, but it will help us fend off the ravages of the viroid scourge.

An alternative possibility which I may be convinced to switch to if there is support is to start generating vacuoles full of exonucleases to take the fight outside, if you will.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 01:20:50 pm »

I have an alternative proposal that may help us more in the short term.

Develop a marker for RNA fragments produced by our own polymerases. Nothing too dramatic, just something like maybe a magnesium-bearing tag on the 5′ end, so that we can produce more selective exonucleases that won't degrade our own stuff (meaning we can produce more of them without worrying about fucking over our own regulatory processes), and maybe even upgrade our translational machinery to not translate foreign fragments. It's no perfect solution, but it will help us fend off the ravages of the viroid scourge.

An alternative possibility which I may be convinced to switch to if there is support is to start generating vacuoles full of exonucleases to take the fight outside, if you will.
I'm not sure about the vacuoles, we don't even a nucleus nor proper cells organells so i don't see their utility. We don't have a single part of the cell we must protect, it's all floating in the citosol. The idea of moleculars markers is interesting, but i'm not sure we have the capability of producing more enzymes. I was under the impression we had reached a limit based on our trascription and traduction speed, not the possibility of self-damage. If i'm mistaken and we can produce more if we learn to do it safely then let's go with your idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7