Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Yet Another Evolution Game [Blobs That Eat Sulphur]  (Read 8773 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Evolution Game [Small Cell in a Big World]
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:05 pm »

I'm not sure about the vacuoles, we don't even a nucleus nor proper cells organells so i don't see their utility. We don't have a single part of the cell we must protect, it's all floating in the citosol. The idea of moleculars markers is interesting, but i'm not sure we have the capability of producing more enzymes. I was under the impression we had reached a limit based on our trascription and traduction speed, not the possibility of self-damage. If i'm mistaken and we can produce more if we learn to do it safely then let's go with your idea.
To clarify, the point of the vacuoles is to use them to eject exonuclease into the local environment. Since the cells apparently mostly hang around the same area, this would do a reasonably good job keeping the viroid population down. And yes, I'm also not sure whether we need to upgrade our translation processes, but I thought it would be a good idea to develop ways to not damage ourselves first.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »

The way I understand it is that we currently use our main RNA loop as both genome and enzyme which cuts down on our protein synthesis capability. What I was proposing was the formation of small purely protein synthesizing RNA units akin to ribosomes.

If that's still to complex then I'll switch to  try and make the big step, from RNA to DNA.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 02:16:36 pm »

To clarify, the point of the vacuoles is to use them to eject exonuclease into the local environment. Since the cells apparently mostly hang around the same area, this would do a reasonably good job keeping the viroid population down. And yes, I'm also not sure whether we need to upgrade our translation processes, but I thought it would be a good idea to develop ways to not damage ourselves first.
I'm not sure if we can actually produce enough stuff to kill viroids outside the cell, it would be a lot of energy we have to use for a minimal result since any enzymes we eject would probably be diluited and then washed away immeadetly. If we were already a colonial organism this could work, but since we just hang out in the general area i don't think it's a good idea to do so.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 02:35:12 pm »

If we were already a colonial organism this could work
Well, that was the first thing I suggested. :P

The way I understand it is that we currently use our main RNA loop as both genome and enzyme which cuts down on our protein synthesis capability. What I was proposing was the formation of small purely protein synthesizing RNA units akin to ribosomes.
Shit, are we still just a ribozyme? If so, yeah, develop ribosomes immediately. We should do that *before* making the leap to DNA, in fact.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »

Shit, are we still just a ribozyme? If so, yeah, develop ribosomes immediately. We should do that *before* making the leap to DNA, in fact.
Ok, i did not understand how "basic" was "basic protein syntesis". In this case, +1

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 05:11:16 pm »

If we were already a colonial organism this could work
Well, that was the first thing I suggested. :P

Oh I thought you were suggesting we go straight from RNA prokaryotes to multicellular XD
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 07:33:49 pm »

Competition can be overcome by numbers. Develop the ability to form colonies

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 09:17:51 pm »

+1, develop a protein that allows cell membranes to stick together.
"zzz"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 09:35:25 pm »

+1 for sticky filaments to hold the cells together in a cluster, oddly enough. :P

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 03:30:33 am »

+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 03:36:45 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 07:28:33 pm »

Could we rename it later if we decide it doesn't fit? Kinda hard to tell at the cellular stage

Also I propose for the action we attempt to evolve our RNA to DNA
"zzz"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 04:01:04 am »

I don't really think we need a name yet.

Develop the ability to form vacuoles full of chemicals to pump out of the cell to adjust our environment as we see fit.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 08:09:44 am »

Develop the ability to form vacuoles full of chemicals to pump out of the cell to adjust our environment as we see fit.

I can get behind this +1, ignore my old one we don't immediately need DNA
"zzz"

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:45 am »

I can get behind this +1, ignore my old one we don't immediately need DNA
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7