Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bug (maybe)  (Read 1533 times)

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bug (maybe)
« on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:18 am »

i want to report a bug and i cant wait for a mantis account (that i've been waiting for months now)
when i was generating a new world, i found something interesting. the goblin trenches are lining up vertically.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i dont know whether it's a bug or just a coincidence, i just want to report it here for now.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bug (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:59:23 pm »

man i hope you saved that world!

if you did, pls check if there all the same civilisation.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 04:39:00 pm »

It's probably a coincidence.

Regarding Mantis, a wait of more than a day is not normal. You should contact Toady; he can set a temporary password which will let you log in.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:20:49 am »

I don't think it's a bug but I generated a map like this too and all sites belong to the same civ.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:40:06 am »

My guess is the random number generator somehow picking a bad seed and thus somehow making the x coordinates all the same.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:20:58 am »

That one is slightly different because there are two columns.

In a way, this makes sense. Pits are essentially sets of trenches, and it makes sense for trenches to extend in the same direction, particularly when they belong to the same civ. I wouldn't say it's a RNG issue.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:56:26 am »

But how often do trenches extend throughout the majority of a continent?

IIRC, sites are placed semi-randomly, right? It wouldn't entirely make sense for them to all be placed vertically above one another.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:13:49 pm »

Each goblin site should have a settlement date. If you look at those dates and sort them, you could determine if the sites were settled progressively away from the goblin dark fortress or if they were created in a scattered manner, slowly filling in the two tile wide area. While it looks buggy, maybe there is a mechanic governing it, such as the goblins are attempting to stay n tiles away from the dwarf sites.

Unbeknownst to everyone else on the continent, the goblins in those civs have a thriving trade industry involving hauling ice blocks north and hauling tasty fruits south.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »

Each goblin site should have a settlement date. If you look at those dates and sort them, you could determine if the sites were settled progressively away from the goblin dark fortress or if they were created in a scattered manner, slowly filling in the two tile wide area. While it looks buggy, maybe there is a mechanic governing it, such as the goblins are attempting to stay n tiles away from the dwarf sites.

Unbeknownst to everyone else on the continent, the goblins in those civs have a thriving trade industry involving hauling ice blocks north and hauling tasty fruits south.

The goblins have discarded their warlike ways in favor of mastering the art of GOURMET ICE CREAM.

The ICE CREAM ROAD is clearly the most important and lucrative trade route in the world.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 12:55:48 pm »

ICE CREAM ROAD also happens to be my favorite Mario Kart level. What a coincidence!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:44 pm »

The goblins have discarded their warlike ways in favor of mastering the art of GOURMET ICE CREAM.

The ICE CREAM ROAD is clearly the most important and lucrative trade route in the world.

Funnily enough, these goblins have never been to war with anyone.

After checking the dates/position of these sites, in legend viewer, they started with the dark fortress  and the pit on its right (the one still active fortress that is around the south-middle of the column) and spread out from there, sometimes skipping a few tiles in between sites only to populate them at a later date.

edit: thriving indeed, they are the biggest civ with ~40k citizens (more than double than the other civs)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:23:45 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 01:51:17 pm »

I bet there's an ICE CREAM TRIAD that manages the trade of frozen confectioneries with an fair but iron-hard grip.

Ittid be a shame if sumthin happened to yer....... MINT CHOC'LIT, see?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »

Don't you DAIRY touch my mint chocolate, you highway bandit!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 02:30:40 pm »

But how often do trenches extend throughout the majority of a continent?

IIRC, sites are placed semi-randomly, right? It wouldn't entirely make sense for them to all be placed vertically above one another.
They're not completely independent. The first goblin site might appear independently, but new sites are often clustered near older ones from the same civ, not just goblin sites. The organization in a straight line does stand out, but that doesn't mean it's unintentional. I've seen rows of 3-4 pits even in young, small worlds often enough.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 02:38:43 pm »

Something that will help decide whether this is intentional or not is whether such phenomena occur with horizontal lines. If they don't, then it means there's most likely a typo in the code somewhere, since x and y coordinates are almost always symmetric.
Pages: [1] 2