Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human residents craft human-civ specific weapons?  (Read 1065 times)

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human residents craft human-civ specific weapons?
« on: March 10, 2018, 01:09:20 pm »

Can someone tell me if humans who have petitioned for residency can craft weapons that their civ can? Same for goblins?

This would present a cool marker of progression, as when you get your first human residents you can upgrade your military with their "tech".

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Human residents craft human-civ specific weapons?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 01:24:44 pm »

Unfortunately no. As soon as they become resident, regardless of race, visitors become members of your civ.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:26:30 pm »

Should have realized this myself, thanks for answering anyway =) I'll just mod the weapons for my civ and allow myself to craft them once I get the human residents.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 02:13:08 pm »

Transfer of crafting knowledge will probably occur eventually, but it would be a long way off, and I'd assume it would require a highly skilled craftsman or a scholar, rather than just an average dairy farmer. Also note that it would be civ dependent, not race dependent, so a goblin that came from a dwarven civ would have no knowledge of goblin civ items (on the positive side, they'd also have dwarven ethics)).

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:20:27 pm »

It should stand to reason that a human weaponsmith already able to make long swords should be able make them if he settles in a dwarven settlement to learn from the master craftsdwarves
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »

Well, weapons and gear in general is civ-related. Think of it like this : a dwarf doesn't know what a long sword is. It is not adapted to their style of warfare, they don't see the point in commanding long swords. So when a human blacksmith hits the town, he will never receive a command for a long sword and will only produce gear that are known to his clients.

It's not that the human "forgets" how to make a long sword. Instead, the overseer doesn't have the idea to ask him to make one in the first place
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:33:17 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:24:32 pm »

Eh, that's an explanation for game mechanics, and a situational one at that. If the overseer happens to have seen humans in combat then there's a good chance he knows about long swords. And if humans are immigrating in numbers, then that means the overseer would have potential access to human soldiers who could actually use long swords. Ergo, there's always reasons an overseer might actually be willing and able to ask for them.

It's just a matter of time until Toady adds in this deeper mechanic to the game. In the meantime we'll have to come up with our own explanations.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:37 pm »

Has anyone noticed if human immigrants "like" human civ items more frequently than dwarves?

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:54:33 pm »

What about item sizes?  Do immigrant human smiths and craftsmen make human-sized gear?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:00:42 pm »

No, they are by all means exactly like your dwarves. The only difference being, they will never mood. If you want medium sized gear, you have to configure it in your order

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »

I had humans make human sized armor without requesting that size. This is how it works in 43.05:
If a human entertainer petitions and later becomes a member of your fort you can set his skills. Now he almost functions like a dwarf and makes armor of the size you expect.
But if a human mercenary joins the fort you cannot set skills. If he already is skilled in armor making and off duty he will make human sized armor when you order regular armor.

Be careful with that adamantine!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 01:36:24 am »

What about item sizes?  Do immigrant human smiths and craftsmen make human-sized gear?
Non dwarven citizens make clothing and armor of their own size if you do not specify size in the order (this is the only way to provide clothing for gremlins, by the way, but it does work). Therefore, you probably don't want differently sized craftsmen share clothing/armor workshops while not specifying the size of the items. I have one clothing shop Profile set to only accept the elven tailor, and the other to only accept the human one (the smiths are both dwarves, so there I have to make sized orders to produce human sized gear).