Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A penitent dorf kneels.  (Read 703 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
A penitent dorf kneels.
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:42:17 pm »

So I've got a fair number of horrible, super-dangerous beasties ready to seal away forever in my containment vaults, but I'm running out of clever traps and stuff to hide them behind.

I need stupid dwarf trick/semimegaproject ideas to place these creatures into so that nothing can get at them.

The self-imposed restrictions are that i can't simply seal them behind 100 traps or a basic wall. It's got to be some kind of rube-goldbergian device. For instance, the murderous werelizard was placed behind a trapped floor mural where only the red squares contain traps. Measures should completely prevent their escape, but not their release.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:03:50 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: A penitent dorf kneels.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 10:51:55 pm »

You could setup a Pressure Plate to only trigger on the heaviest load.  Link it to a bridge and the path underneath doubles back to your containment room.  This way, your captives never leave, but anyone entering the room can safely cross.  Another option is to make an extra long encounter room, with the pressure plates triggering traps on the opposite sides; so monster and invaders will be activating traps for each other, all the way to the center.

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:17:56 am »

You could dhannel out a moat around your containment area, but keep ramps on both sides of the moat intact. Pump magma into the moat from one side, and create a drain on the other side. Monster goes in the middle, surrounded by the channeled moat. As long as the pumps are running, the moat should be filled with magma and the monster can't leave (unless they willingly path into the magma, would they do that?). When the pump stops, the moat gradually drains and the monster can cross.

Connect your magma pump to a gear assembly and that to a power source. Now connect a lever or pressure plate to the gear assembly, so that the power to the pump can be interrupted from the outside.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 01:57:53 am »

FBs do not take damage from magma, so the only thing that would prevent them from pathing through a moat is pathing issues.

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:17:50 am »

That's unfortunate.. You could try it with a bunch of normal monsters I suppose.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »

Still tho, some of the creatures I capture are not magma-immune! I've got werewolves and necromancers and ettins as well. Also, I've got a volcano, so magma tricks are easier!

I like the pump moat and pressure plate-by-weight ideas :D
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0