Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FB - How to Capture? (Can Titans be Husks? +RESULTS+)  (Read 1830 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FB - How to Capture? (Can Titans be Husks? +RESULTS+)
« on: March 06, 2018, 04:36:44 pm »

So I have a lot of space in my CONTAINMENT VAULT OF HORROR and I'd like to fill it with some FB's.

I know you can catch them with webs and a cage trap, but I have no GCS, and none have entered my map for the entirety of the fort. What other ways can you guys think of to reliably and safely capture a FB?

Would a cave-in dust trap stun it into a cage? What about a retracting bridge that drops em 3z or so?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:57:57 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: FB - How to Capture?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:28:48 pm »

Use a whole room, rather than a cage. Lure them in then put a bridge.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:36:53 pm »

But the vault area is secure, and located far from the cavern and through the fort proper. I've got to get them safely transported from the caverns to their habitat/containment area without injuring any dwarves/property.

I also seem to be having the friendly-FB issue where they are not hostile to dwarves or each other. This makes it harder to capture them, oddly.

::EDIT::
I've located a wed-spewing FB and devised a method of capturing it in a place where it can web some cage traps.

::EDIT 2::
Got me a web-spinning FB all sealed away around some fortifications and it is quite content to shot web at my chained doggos. Mission success.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:33:56 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:25:28 am »

Apart from webbed cages, FBs cannot be caged as they're stun immune. Thus, "capture" of FBs is a matter of guiding them where you want them using e.g. sacrificial doors, and block the way back behind them (raising drawbridges typically, although cave-ins also work).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 01:54:20 pm »

Fiddlesticks. Well, thanks for all the replies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:39:38 am »

DFhack has a command to check and tweak wildlife populations. You could try and see if upping the GCS population can get one to spawn for you.
I do think it does require a GCS (regional) population to exist in the first place, but unless your embark area is really small, there should already be GCS present there.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 01:30:20 pm »

It's 4x4, and I'd be unsurprised if the reason I haven't seen them is that the FB's are murdering them all. I've got quite the selection in here.

Anyway I've captured an FB and a Hill Titan so far. Also some sneaky-looking human merchant that tried to get in at the same time as the titan. He's very suspicious so he gets to be tested via husk cloud.

......Do husk cloud affect titans and the like?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 01:41:06 pm »

To be honest i would be a little bit scared to find out. Depends whether it is a living creature or not, if a titan can be classed as 'alive'

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »

To be honest i would be a little bit scared to find out. Depends whether it is a living creature or not, if a titan can be classed as 'alive'

I am absolutely going to find out.

Do you think an exceptional adamantine chain would hold a titan? Does material affect it's resistance to being broken? My necromancer broke iron chains, you see.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:44 pm »

As far as I understand chains cannot be broken by creatures chained (although I could be wrong). I've had a chained goblin destroy the chain, but it went insane and tantrum destroyed it, which is a different mechanism. Anyway, unless the titan is made of slade it should have no chance to break an adamantine chain, but I wonder how you'd chain it in the first place?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 02:17:16 pm »

Well I've got it in a cage right now.

So I'm just going to move it next to the chain and instachain it. I also did not think that chains could be broken/broken out of, but the first time I chained my captive necromancer using iron he broke out in like, 10 seconds. He has not broken out of the exceptional adamantine chain I made for him after that, and he's the original resident of the monster vault so he's been down there for at least 9 years now.

Luckily my security measures made it possible to recapture him before he could cause any ruckus.

For humor, here's a pic of a Hill titan being calmly led down the corridor by the hand to the husk-testing area.
Spoiler: Come on george (click to show/hide)

And here he is chained to the appointed spot. All I must do now is wait.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:39:06 pm by Dunamisdeos »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: FB - How to Capture? (Can Titans be Husks?)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:49 am »

ptw, interesting thread
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:48:40 am »

What happened, what happened?! Did it huskify?  :o
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:43 pm »

Nothing yet lol! I actually ended up moving it to a different platform because the clouds wouldn't pass over the area he was in. I'm just sort of waiting for a cloud to come by.

It's also a winged blob, but made of snow. If it was made of anything solid it would be truly terrifying if it husks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 04:15:03 pm »

Hey folks. Science of a different kind.

At some point the titan broke out of his exceptional iron chains and is now gone. Apparently this is 100% possible. Artifact chains or adamantine are recommended.

In other news, Titans are exactly the same as FB's, but above-ground, right? because I've got some of those.
Pages: [1] 2