Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weird cavern  (Read 597 times)

Lolor31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
weird cavern
« on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:47 am »

I do not know if it's a bug, but one season ago I found a cave, the weird thing is that most of the cavern has no grass just mud, besides that I still do not have any cave grass on my farms (I enter the cavern in the grassless side may have something to do with it?)

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weird cavern
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:42:19 am »

I seem to recall that some cavern layers are simply sterile. Offhand, I think you can change this in world generation by raising the minimum cavern moisture (dampness? Something like that) above 0. That said, chances are if you keep digging, you'll get at least one cavern layers which produces spores.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:04 am »

DF currently has two cavern biomes. One of them is the normal one, and the other one is the "muddy cavern". The muddy one doesn't have any cavern shrub or trees (except blood thorn, which can exist in those in cavern 3). When I checked, there was still cavern "grass" underneath the mud (I used DFHack to dump magma onto a patch of cavern, observed the fire and ash, and the regrowth of cavern "grass" that partially was NOT mud covered).

It is indeed connected to the amount of cavern water. If the actual cavern has less than 10 (if I recall correctly) you'll get a muddy cavern.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:57:47 am by PatrikLundell »

Lolor31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:10:13 pm »

oh I did not know that, thanks
Another question: two dralthas appeared in the area without grass, will they die?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »

oh I did not know that, thanks
Another question: two dralthas appeared in the area without grass, will they die?
Grazers only starve if they're tame, so they won't, unless you capture and tame them and then release them into an area without grass.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.