Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Guild of Adventurers (5e) - Pesky Goblins!  (Read 12887 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
The Guild of Adventurers (5e) - Pesky Goblins!
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:52:50 pm »

Players:
Apiks - Haldur Thorsson (Elf)
Th4DwArfY1 - Gawain
Hanzoku - Haldur Thorsson (Human)
Sirus - Miscria

Current Job (If one is taken)

Spoiler: Job 2 (click to show/hide)

Norune Village. Years ago, it was a small settlement with a "stable" population just shy of 30 souls with traders using it as a resupply and rest point. Being one of the few settlements that ran along the hills of Hilthborg that brought trade to the west, money always came in at a steady pace.

But Lord Norune, like most men, was prone to great ambition. When King Ingvar Christofferson said he had his choice of land to rule for his military service, he was confused why he chose a land that was infertile and so far from the coastline. Lord Norune didn't want wealth or power; he didn't need that. Lord Norune was a man who had everything he wanted, save for one thing. He was born into a noble house who was brought to ruin over poor decisions from his parents and was forced to leave his home. What he became instead of a worker or a peasant made his family cast him out. He became a mercenary, or as he preferred, and Adventurer. He travelled the continent over in his years, until his home was invaded by an orcish campaign to seize lands again. Fighting them off, he regained his title as an Earl of Hilthborg.

Now retired from war and adventuring, Lord Norune had but one dream to accomplish; one campaign he had left.

To build the first Adventurer's Guild.

Over the years, Lord Norune's small village went from a small boom town that barely made ends meet to the continent's biggest gathering place, far surpassing Tunstead in its constant call for mercenaries. Soon enough, the town grew to have more adventurers than townsfolk. Lord Norune finally saw his dream unfurl before malevolence came from the east: The Hobgoblin invasion.

Lord Norune lead the battle himself, with a force of four hundred adventurers of all backgrounds and the army of Hilthborg, two thousand strong. While the Hobgoblins outnumbered them, the great might of the adventurer army brought the Hobgoblins to the sword, and they became but a fairy-tale after this famed "Battle of the Red River". However, Lord Norune gave his last charge, having been slain in battle.

Over the next few years, things changed Norune for both the better and for worse. A large inn dedicated to housing adventurers rose up, and the village became a large town within a year of the war, as word spread quickly of their deeds. However, over time, the influx of adventurers grew too great, and there was little work to be found. Soon, other towns began to take Norune's idea and build their own adventurer's guilds. Within ten years of its peak, Norune went from a bustling city to a nearly abandoned frontier town.

But as long as there were people here, Norune would stand. The great adventurer's guild stood proud, overlooking the empty town.

Whether it be by you arriving with a caravan, following the northern trade road, or by searching for the first great Adventurer's Guild for glory, wealth or fame, you are here, in the washed-up town of Norune. Buildings look old and worn. A large building, seemingly more opulent than the rest stands to your right with a large fence surrounding it. Farther down, you see a market square with a few small caravans with a small stall to sell wares around a circular patch of overgrown road. There appears to be a boarded up building next to it with a broken sign depicting some strange creature. Another building is boarded up but appearing broken down and condemned. The place seems to have looked noble in years past, but age, and something else, has clearly been unkind to it. A medium sized temple is next to the less grand building, with a holy symbol marked on its door. Next to that, is a VERY large building with cracked and moss covered dragon statues and a heavily faded sign on it. The size of it makes it almost the size of a small tower. To the north, and the opposite side of the road, a building with a massive door lets in a set of horses and comes out with a caravan that makes its way past you before leaving town to the east.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:46:59 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild of Adventurers (5e) - Prologue (Players Selected)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:40 am »

Gawain walks over to the heavily faded sign on the dragon-statue building and tries to read it, an idle smile on his face.
Hmmmmm
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:53:49 am »

Booted feet lift puffs of dust from the worn roadway as Haldur Thorrson jumps off the back of the caravan wagon he was riding on. The burdened wagon rises an inch in relief as he does so, and he stretches out the cramps of traveling before slinging his weapons and backpack over his shoulder.

Looking around the town critically, he grumbles to whoever cares to hear him "I am thinking I must be telling Uncle Snorri that his ideas of 'bustling' are very quiet. This is not being the center of all adventurings."

Over seven feet tall, with shaggy black hair and beard, the massive warrior shakes his head doubtfully. Seeing another traveler at the building with the sign, he makes his way over to peer at the words with him. "I am thinking the owner does not have much care for his building."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:29 pm »

Gawain walks over to the heavily faded sign on the dragon-statue building and tries to read it, an idle smile on his face.
Hmmmmm
(CRIT) ((This is going off to a wonderful start...)) You don't even have to get any closer to be able to make out the shapes of the letters. "The Guild of Adventurers" is on the faded sign, worn from weather damage and disrepair. Knowing the climate here, the snowstorms seem to have been unkind to this great building. Gettinga better look now, you can tell the place is built with a mixture of dwarven and human architecture to make it stand so tall without toppling over. You also notice that the edges, although overgrown with moss, depict that there is a basement level as well as the stone holding its foundation seem to go underground. You also can tell the door is SLIGHTLY ajar, but the lack of wind makes sure it doesn't swing open.

Booted feet lift puffs of dust from the worn roadway as Haldur Thorrson jumps off the back of the caravan wagon he was riding on. The burdened wagon rises an inch in relief as he does so, and he stretches out the cramps of traveling before slinging his weapons and backpack over his shoulder.

Looking around the town critically, he grumbles to whoever cares to hear him "I am thinking I must be telling Uncle Snorri that his ideas of 'bustling' are very quiet. This is not being the center of all adventurings."

Over seven feet tall, with shaggy black hair and beard, the massive warrior shakes his head doubtfully. Seeing another traveler at the building with the sign, he makes his way over to peer at the words with him. "I am thinking the owner does not have much care for his building."
(4+4) All you can tell really is it is an impressive feat of human(?) engineering

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 12:22:50 pm »

Gawain flicks a casual glance over the giant.

Indeed. Now, if you don't mind excusing me...

Sauntering over to the door, he opens it and walks in.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 01:26:02 pm »

Haldur grunts at the casual dismissal, a brief frown lost in his beard. He shrugs and looks between this rundown building and the better maintained and more opulent one, and then shrugs again and follows the other man inside. If this wasn’t the Guild, he could always try the other one.

Good craftmanship, though. A shame that they were letting it deteroriate the way it is.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:04:43 pm »

A robed and hooded figure made its way down the main "street" of Norune, trailing the faster-moving wagons that had passed by earlier in the day. Wielding only a wooden staff and wearing simple clothing, the figure was wholly unremarkable - if, that was, you didn't notice the slender purplish tail that hung to a point just above the dirt road.

Eventually, hiker found the Guild of Adventurers. Apparently not bothered by the run-down appearance of the place, the figure's tail gave a flick of excitement.

Go inside!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:40:51 pm »

A ragged man in worn traveler's clothes bearing a respectable beard strides out of an alley carrying a longbow on him. One would not be averse to mistake him for one of the local hunters except for the defining elven ears.

Finding the deteriorated building, he throws it a long penetrating look before going inside.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:01:01 am »

A ragged man in worn traveler's clothes bearing a respectable beard strides out of an alley carrying a longbow on him. One would not be averse to mistake him for one of the local hunters except for the defining elven ears.

Finding the deteriorated building, he throws it a long penetrating look before going inside.
(CRIT) (**REFER TO GAWAIN'S DESCRIPTION**)

The four of you enter, with the young, arrogant man of the south making his way in first.

Despite the rough exterior, the inside appears much like the stories say, although the place feels very empty. A mosaic in the finely chiseled floor depicting an unknown emblem (Gawain and the ragged man realize this was on the broken sign but was heavily faded and lost all color) colored in a mixture of stone types not seen around here. The emblem seems to be an open parchment made of a white stone covered with words colored in a black stone. A pair of daggers line the bottom of it with a spyglass on the top of the parchment. The words are too mismatched to properly read it, but the words appear to be in low-common.

There are benches and tables lined up neatly around the room with bottled-up inkwells and inkpens on each. A winding staircase rises and falls on the wall opposite side of the door, curving into an almost spiral fashion. The sign between it says "Living Quarters" in several languages with an arrow pointing up on top of the words "Cantina" with an arrow pointing down stairs.

In the center of the room lies a statue of an elderly looking human clad in armor, leaning against his sword. A counter with a small desk lies below the staute with a half-orc leaning over the desk mulling over papers. When Haldur enters, the sound of his chainmail and heavy boots are greeted with a heavy sigh. Without looking up the half-orc speaks in a way that makes it sound like he was reading a disappointing script.

"Tradehouse is down the road more and the inn is just behind that."

When he doesn't hear you immediately walk out, he looks up from his desk and makes a double take before standing up. Haldur notices that, for a half-orc, he's quite old.

"You're not traders, are you? Give me a moment..."

He scrambles around and pulls out a dusty ledger that he wipes clean before opening it, placing it on the desk to a blank page with an inkwell and a pen next to it.

"If you're here for jobs, sign your names in the book." After this he goes back to the desk and starts grabbing papers. Getting closer to the desk, you notice a greataxe leaning against the base of the statue that seems to have a layer of dust on it.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 02:59:34 am »

Haldur crosses his arms and looks around the room doubtfully. His eyes land on the greataxe and he frowns, muttering to himself in Dwarvern.

[Dwarvern]"Shameful, simply shameful! A beautiful piece of steel work and he's letting it go to rust!"

Switching back to Common, he glances around at the dusty, empty room. "I was indeed coming to sign as adventurer, but I must ask - are there jobs to be had here? This is obviously not being a place people come to for workings as it once was."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:12:08 am »

The old half Orc responds in dwarven.

[Dwarven]"It's for greenhorns who think they can convince me to give them jobs they aren't ready for"

"We have plenty of jobs."

He reaches behind himself and grabs a stack of parchment and puts it on the table.

"This one here is just requests I got today. I can only offer them when you sign in. If your mum comes asking where you went, I can tell her where to find you. Dead or alive is another question."
((**EDIT**
Accidentally hit send before I finished))
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:19:29 am by highmax28 »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 05:34:17 pm »

Seeing how the others seemed to be hesitating, the hooded figure stepped forward and, with a purple-skinned hand, signed the name "Miscria" in curly Common letters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 05:38:06 pm »

A strange day. Apparently, breaking into a seemingly abandoned building was license enough for the rest of the world to follow. A small smile quirking the corners of his mouth, Gawain also moved forward to sign.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 06:42:08 pm »

Seeing how the others seemed to be hesitating, the hooded figure stepped forward and, with a purple-skinned hand, signed the name "Miscria" in curly Common letters.
Upon putting your name down, he takes the stack of papers and goes back to the desk and grabs roughly 5 pages.

"I'll wait for the rest of your party to grow a spine while you have a look at what we can offer you."

You can tell he's already assuming the four of you to be a party.

"I don't normally let a group so green have choices, but I don't exactly have much of a choice when there's plenty of work to be done. Take one or take them all. "

The pages seem to all be very neatly written. Two of the pages are wanted posters while the others are standard job postings.

Spoiler: Job 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Job 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Job 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Poster 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Poster 2 (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »

Miscria eyed the posters speculatively. Bandits and brigands and general ne'er-do-wells? Sounded like the perfect place for a hero to get started!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9