Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what vermin make good pets?  (Read 1619 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
what vermin make good pets?
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »

i currently have alot of tame turtles in my fortress and im wondering if they make good pets.

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what vermin make good pets?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:48:48 pm »

Pets provide a bonus to their owner dwarf based on their pet value, so the higher that value is, the better. Unfortunately, they're not particularly special as far as pets go:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Vermin

I don't think you can process them into food and a shell either when they're tame. Maybe you can create a decorative garden with them or something.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:58:15 pm »

Also see the section on vermin pets. I would set the turtles to be "available" as pets and let the dwarfs take them if they desire. Then you can have happier dwarfs.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:43:08 pm »

In a past fort I kept catching ravens.
I setup a bunch of raven filled cages in the jail and punished the ravens using the justice screen for all the crimes of the dwarves.
I liked the flavor it added to the fort, but a lot of the dwarves didn't enjoy the true criminals escaping justice.
With plenty of good booze, food, and clothes they were satisfied.

"A vampire is here picking us one-by-one, but damn don't I look good in this leather robe?!"
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:57:05 pm »

Isn't there a bug with vermin pets though, where if you have cats in the fort, the cats hunt and kill the pet vermin too?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:26:22 pm »

Is that really a bug though? I mean, cats do that all the time in real life, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »

Also see the section on vermin pets. I would set the turtles to be "available" as pets and let the dwarfs take them if they desire. Then you can have happier dwarfs.
I'm intrigued by how happy knuckle worms can make Forts. How does that work?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »

Isn't there a bug with vermin pets though, where if you have cats in the fort, the cats hunt and kill the pet vermin too?

Pretty sure that only happens if the vermin pet is put on the floor, dwarfs normally carry them on their shoulders/head and cats can't interact with them like that for some reason.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:35:45 am »

For a while a dwarf that liked a vermin as a pet also liked it as a snack. So regardless of what your food situation was if they had their "favorite" vermin in their hand already when they got hungry they would eat it and get two sad thoughts and a happy thought. lost a pet, ate vermin, ate favorite meal.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 02:41:50 am »

I am again reminded of the war bugbats from days of yore...

I might have to make horrible killer vermin as a mod some time.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 04:08:41 am »

Bugbats aren't vermin, neither are raven/crows just for notice.

You can make pet or fish breeding/function repositories (not egglaying ones though curiously) by digging a hole in the ground and filling it with caught gendered trap creatures, adding them ideally by pitting or releasing the cage. Cave spiders for instance once caught will then web up this hole, with burrow controls making a safe area to collect webs on repeat for silk. Cave hoppers can be extracted to make alcohol Mog Juice.

Creepy crawlers give meat when butchered, so can be used in this way. And applying a aquatic function with 2 deep 2x2 roughly you can make fisheries, though the sustainability is questionable with heavy fishing, but you could probably get the occasional fish for a aquarium exhibit or make a temple to KeK full of frog statues and a artifact green glass aquarium from pond vermin.