Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you detect and stop thieves?  (Read 1035 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you detect and stop thieves?
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:17:55 am »

I'm not talking about thieving critters, nor about artifact questers who (try and fail to) sneak in and steal something, nor thieving scholars. In my case it's a warrior who's brazenly just walking away with a "flashing sparks quico", a musical instrument held in the hand when leaving, resulting in a message that "a thief has stolen...". The reason I know about the details is that my latest save was made the day before, so I crashed and reloaded to see what it was about.
This particular bugger won't leave: there's room in the corpse compactor for him. Note that the instrument isn't named, nor is the artifact flag set, so it's not an artifact.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Can you detect and stop thieves?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:13:24 pm »

He needs to have an accident.

Alternatively, you might be able to employ the "5 finger discount" strategy to have nearby dwarves "Procure" the item from him.  Since it is classified as belonging to your fortress, you should be able to get the item out of his possession using some combination of forbidding, dumping, or assigning the item as part of a uniform, or to be placed in a display case.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you detect and stop thieves?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »

Stealing things from visitors is easy: just mark the items for dumping.

However, this called for capital punishment, and that's what was delivered. A couple of infiltrators started trouble and were put down as well, but there are a LOT of infiltrators I've had to remove, as each incoming skulking quester who have left infiltrators behind activate those as he gets into fighting (and I've managed to get around fighting 127 and 120 infiltrators, respectively).