Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Into The Breach (from the makers of FTL)  (Read 3691 times)

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Into The Breach (from the makers of FTL)
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:47:31 am »

Into The Breach is a turn based strategy game set in a world threatened by giant monsters, with the player controlling a squad of 3 mechs in battle.  Combat is short, usually only 4 - 5 turns, with everyone able to perform 1 movement and 1 action per turn.  Complete bonus objectives to upgrade you mechs.  Gameplay is quite quick, it probably wouldn't take much longer than 2-3 hours to play through, depending on how much time you spend planning your turn. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://subsetgames.com/itb.html#_

https://www.gog.com/game/into_the_breach

http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/Into_the_Breach/

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Into The Breach (from the makers of FTL)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 07:36:36 am »

ptw

I love their art stile but not entirely sold on the concept, will wait to hear some aar and comments floating around here

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:55:23 am »

haven't had time to play more than a few hours but my initial impression is quite amazing. it's a pretty tight and streamlined game that has a lot of interesting possibilities, much like ftl. I'm impressed that they managed to make another deep and interesting game but with a totally different theme and set of mechanics. looking forward to playing more.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:43:51 am »

Steam tells me I've played 8 hours. The game's solid - I think what they've done that's really innovative is the turn order - it goes: aliens move and select targets (showing you where they're going to attack), then you move AND attack, finally, aliens attack.

This means that you get the chance to mess with the aliens before they unleash hell on your shit. Blow them up or knock them out of position (bonus points if you get them to kill each other), or, all else failing, throw your mech into the line of fire to protect a mission objective.

Replay value comes from all the different squads of mechs that you can unlock (+ability to mix-and-match to make your own squad), each with their own gimmicks.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:10:43 am by AlStar »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:47:47 am »

Well, actually replay comes more from the randomized and flexible gameplay, I think. Extra squads add extra flexibility, but itīs not just about the unlocks. Even with one squad itīs quite replayable.

Very much a coffeebreak game, Iīd say, albeit a very addictive one. I certainly recommend it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:48:05 pm »

I expected a shallow and repetitive game that I'd bounce off almost instantly, but bought it because the devs racked up a lot of goodwill with their continued support of FTL.

It's good.  Really good.  The tactical possibilities offered by the different squads, loadouts and (to a lesser extent) pilots mean that I'm constantly having to change up my playstyle.  There's a great variety of enemy types, and they're surprisingly different in terms in abilities.  Extra enemies seem to be added on subsequent playthroughs.  Terrain becomes an increasingly important consideration, with forest fire, sandstorms and the like becoming vital considerations rather than little extras.  Arguably most importantly, the emphasis on protecting civilians makes this really unique.  You have to balance the natural desire to wipe out enemies ASAP with minimising damage to structures, which is more complicated than it sounds when additional waves are incoming next turn.  There are four bugs already active, with an additional three spawning next turn.  I can lose one building and kill three of them, lose no buildings and kill one, or lose a mech while killing two and preventing ensuring only one addition enemy can spawn next turn.   The correct choice will vary based upon a shitload of factors, but I can't think of any other game where placing my best character in a position where he will definitely die is a valid consideration.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 03:05:33 am »

One of the main similarities with FTL is that if you get a bit of luck early, you can get into a situation where you are using reputation to upgrade your mechs, rather than fixing up the power grid, which just makes the game so much easier.  It is like in FTL getting a weapon preigniter early on, you can then buy ship upgrades rather than spending a lot on repairs.

One thing I have found is that it doesn't seem like the High Threat zones are worth doing, so I avoid them if I can. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 05:25:04 am »

PTW. Watching a lot of this on stream, very entertaining.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 11:54:37 am »

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to add this to my wishlist to pick up later.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:30:38 pm »

The High Threat Zones are worth doing if you can handle them, since they give you an extra reward. Power Cores in particular are extremely strong since you need 3 rep to buy one.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 03:34:47 am »

Just spent half an hour experimenting with various mechanics before settling into a "real" attempt on Easy... and hoo boy, it's easy, compared to FTL. I lost a single building on the first island due to forgetting that they get knocked back before they die, but that was it. (Yes, yes, easy on easy...)

Some of the pilot bonuses are pretty interesting-- I've taken a particular liking to Archimedes, who gets a free move after attacking (though this ability costs one power). Haven't unlocked too many, and you seem to only perma-unlock them if you have them in your roster at the end, so don't sell them off unless you really need to.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:49:07 am »

The High Threat Zones are worth doing if you can handle them, since they give you an extra reward. Power Cores in particular are extremely strong since you need 3 rep to buy one.

When there is no power core as a reward, the increased risk doesn't seem worth it, as a zone offering 2 reputation will be much easier than trying to get 2 rep and 1 grid strength from the high threat zone, with much less risk to your existing power grid. 

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 11:44:42 am »

I actually wish there was additional difficulty where the starting turn was 7, not 5 (with some bonus challenges adjusted to account for the change). It'd have been interesting way to make the game harder without introducing too much Vek snowball, since it just forces you to be more consistent and have mech health be more meaningful; for now, 4 turns just seem too short for proper attrition to come into play and short missions mean tanking with the mechs are actually quite risk-free.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 07:50:29 pm »

I kinda like that mech damage doesn't matter much. It encourages you to do more daring heroics.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 08:53:44 pm »

I'm hoping they manage to port this over to Android eventually (FTL only made it onto iOS). Seems like a perfect mobile platform game to kill a bit of time on lunchbreaks.

Anyway, I'll probably grab this one on PC at some point. I'm a bit of a fan of the "simple but complex" mechanics of this sort of stuff.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3