Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3115065 times)

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6060 on: October 19, 2024, 08:31:07 pm »

What are your plans for aquatic animal people? Are they meant to be bound to the water to breathe?
Perhaps plans for interactions with the boats or visitors to underwater settlements?

the idea of underwater cities in dwarf fortress sounds extremely exciting to me. without such things i would love for them to be able to live on land instead, but if the seas were ever populated with content, then their aquatic restriction would feel justifiable, unique, and wonderful.

Therefor i too am curious about Toady's plans!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: October 19, 2024, 10:34:16 pm »

What are your plans for aquatic animal people? Are they meant to be bound to the water to breathe?
Perhaps plans for interactions with the boats or visitors to underwater settlements?

the idea of underwater cities in dwarf fortress sounds extremely exciting to me. without such things i would love for them to be able to live on land instead, but if the seas were ever populated with content, then their aquatic restriction would feel justifiable, unique, and wonderful.

Therefor i too am curious about Toady's plans!

I seem to remember that he posted that he wanted to have underwater civilizations, but that it wouldn’t happen until far into the future.  However, that was a long time ago, and he didn’t go into any detail, so I’m also interested in what he might have to say.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: October 20, 2024, 10:28:47 pm »

the idea of underwater cities in dwarf fortress sounds extremely exciting to me.

Interestingly, civilizations can settle on ocean tiles, though they cannot generate buildings (or their inhabitants) underwater when visited in adventure mode. Would love to see the merfolk with their own version of forest retreats made of kelp and coral, while coastal humans could build stilt-cities.

1. On the nautical theme: Is it likely we might have a way other than a complete vehicle system to explore the sea (such as a water-breathing syndrome, fish mounts, or wagon-style simple boats), so that oceanic adventures may be had? Was reading about Sinbad, and it feels totally in-line with the Adventure Mode vision: expendable companions, fire-breathing elephants, roc eggs, random haulers to foist your artifacts on, and even a Ń!

2. I just learned that religions cannot form around Titans. Is this because such a religion should instead revere an associated Force, given the former's description as a "ancient force of nature"?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: October 22, 2024, 12:55:14 pm »

Interestingly, civilizations can settle on ocean tiles, though they cannot generate buildings (or their inhabitants) underwater when visited in adventure mode. Would love to see the merfolk with their own version of forest retreats made of kelp and coral, while coastal humans could build stilt-cities.

1. On the nautical theme: Is it likely we might have a way other than a complete vehicle system to explore the sea (such as a water-breathing syndrome, fish mounts, or wagon-style simple boats), so that oceanic adventures may be had? Was reading about Sinbad, and it feels totally in-line with the Adventure Mode vision: expendable companions, fire-breathing elephants, roc eggs, random haulers to foist your artifacts on, and even a Ń!

2. I just learned that religions cannot form around Titans. Is this because such a religion should instead revere an associated Force, given the former's description as a "ancient force of nature"?

With some personal modding adjustment, from taking a pack-crocodile with you amphibiously cross continent works as well in adventuremode, though the implication would probably be you have to leave your full-aquatic mount behind rather than take it with you, sort of like the tropes of needing to buy a boat each time you want to go on the water because the game doesn't have the capacity to save it. Flying and water mounts already get access for map-level controllers, but protecting the rider to visit these underwater cities i think might need some magical intervention (of a object or a ability). Basic boat mods including summoning it whenever have been done in the past, like a coracle made for riding single use.

Building your own boat out of wood similarly to a adventurer base would be interesting for all the nessecary but optional mechanical alignments, a windmill for a sail needing to get gears going to the waterwheel paddlers.

Elves already have a reverence for titans seperately through their feelings about nature. Many different races aren't nearly as antagonistic as the titans are to them, since they'll lament their death when the news circulates in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2024, 01:57:06 am by FantasticDorf »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: October 22, 2024, 01:34:38 pm »

Hey Toady, congrats on the engagement!

Since dev plans/roadmaps have changed a lot over the last couple years, I was curious where improvements to wildlife fit in to future dev cycles? Things like making animals (including sentient creatures like gorlaks, dragons, megabeasts, etc.) eat, hunt, and interact more with the world around them. Also ecological interactions like the plants influencing the animals that appear, animals influencing plant populations, prey avoiding predators, predators following prey, etc.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: October 22, 2024, 10:04:57 pm »

They can. I have a largely unmodified save where one such religion appeared. The main thing they can't do is curse people who worship their cult, and knock over a statue. They also don't appear able to generate dice. But cults can form as of .5x whatever.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: October 23, 2024, 10:58:53 am »

I know where you got that, but you misunderstood: titans cannot be religious, unlike megabeasts, is what I meant there. They cannot worship another being.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: October 24, 2024, 08:40:07 pm »

I know where you got that, but you misunderstood: titans cannot be religious, unlike megabeasts, is what I meant there. They cannot worship another being.

Ah, fair. I had seen firsthand the weirdness of custom dark fortress civs with pantheons, where the demonic master ended up worshipping gods because they started as a "natural-born citizen" of their empire. It'll be quite interesting to see boss monsters develop in the coming updates as they diverge from typical human actors.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405]