Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3115165 times)

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6045 on: October 13, 2024, 08:48:21 pm »

Any possibility of reimplementing Dwarf Fortress in C@?
Let us raise our mug to Scamps, the finest and furriest to have been a part of Bay 12 Games!
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: October 14, 2024, 02:37:08 am »

Let us raise our mug to Scamps, the finest and furriest to have been a part of Bay 12 Games!
Here, here.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: October 14, 2024, 08:01:39 am »

Here, here.
<insert cheers emoji here because SMF won’t show it, even though I can type it>
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #6048 on: October 14, 2024, 05:31:09 pm »

What possible benefit would this provide? 700,000 lines of code would have to be rewritten, which would take months if not years, during which no feature development would take place.

While I get this is a joke, it's worth noting that it's almost never worthwhile to reimplement a mature project in another language because reimplementing code often takes almost as long as implementing it in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 05:33:09 pm by ab9rf »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: October 14, 2024, 05:48:40 pm »

The rewrite could be done very fast actually, since the language doesn't exist.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: October 15, 2024, 03:37:29 am »

Wow, just tell us Santa Clause doesn't exist.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: October 16, 2024, 12:39:51 pm »

And besides, I've only done major reimplementing to Rust and Lua, and just saying that will cause enough requests to last multiple lifetimes.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: October 16, 2024, 10:59:48 pm »

And besides, I've only done major reimplementing to Rust and Lua, and just saying that will cause enough requests to last multiple lifetimes.

What?!  No LOLCODE?! :P

on a more serious note, I wonder what effect this has had (/is having) on the plethora of bugs on the bugtracker?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: October 17, 2024, 01:25:15 am »

When the planned Lua-implementations are done, maybe it would be a possibility and a good idea to set up a team of modders from this community. They can use the new tools to work consistantly based on a shared roadmap with the devs. The additions the've created can be part of the official release, optionally switched off using settings. What is your view on this?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: October 17, 2024, 07:00:35 am »

When the planned Lua-implementations are done, maybe it would be a possibility and a good idea to set up a team of modders from this community. They can use the new tools to work consistantly based on a shared roadmap with the devs. The additions the've created can be part of the official release, optionally switched off using settings. What is your view on this?
I presume, after it's done, noone forbids modders to self-organize. Also dev team is open enough and is willing to answer any questions that will help modders. No reason to make it official especially since Toady said on multiple occasions that he doesn't like to handle people management.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: October 18, 2024, 01:58:02 am »

I think we in the community need to do some expectation management on what the addition of Lua means, especially initially. Adding Lua doesn't automatically giv it access to every bit of DF code; each Lua capability needs to be woven into the existing and new DF code. So, like the game itself, the "Lua-implementations" aren't going to be done any time close to soon, and what it's going to be capable of will be quite limited compared to what some might imagine. (Especially when compared to other games that hav been built from the begining with Lua implementations.)

... with the initial release, you can modify and make your own procedural raws now, which can do everything the raws could already do and no more ...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2024, 02:22:27 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: October 18, 2024, 07:07:48 am »

Fair enough, i've already mentioned once or twice though off forum my opinion that going off into lua seems like a step-back for our traditional understanding of Toady's roadmap arcs but also a step forward for picking up the speed of the process, since it will formulate work on a arc we are not already on or approaching, confusing the pre-determined chronology of feedback and updates.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: October 18, 2024, 08:04:33 am »

Fair enough, i've already mentioned once or twice though off forum my opinion that going off into lua seems like a step-back for our traditional understanding of Toady's roadmap arcs but also a step forward for picking up the speed of the process, since it will formulate work on a arc we are not already on or approaching, confusing the pre-determined chronology of feedback and updates.

The Lua stuff that's being added has been expected for a long time. Not necessarily in the form of Lua scripting but editors for procgen objects and stuff was always an important step towards myth and magic.

Worlder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: October 18, 2024, 12:08:18 pm »

Is the "Development" tab from the website (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html) planned to be updated again at some point ?
I guess plans and progress can be followed from reading through the forums, but I am wondering if this is the only way now or if I am missing some other roadmap somewhere.

Thanks again for your answers and wonderful work !

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: October 19, 2024, 03:18:09 pm »

What are your plans for aquatic animal people? Are they meant to be bound to the water to breathe?
Perhaps plans for interactions with the boats or visitors to underwater settlements?

All aquatic (water-breather) animal people, for reference:

Aquatic Animal-people with legs:
  • Cuttlefish man
  • Moon snail man
  • Nautilus man
  • Octopus man
  • Sponge man (By the way, is it an oversight that Sponge Man wasn't given ExtraVision to see like Worm Man received?)
  • Squid man
Aquatic Animal-people that can slither (like snake people and merpeople):
  • Narwhal man
  • Orca man
  • Sperm whale man
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405