Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3077920 times)

Worlder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5970 on: August 16, 2024, 06:21:19 am »

Iirc its just so they'll have an attack trigger at all right now. Reasons and desire to attack the player fortress and how frequently aren't fully implemented yet, besides those hard triggers.

Do you know if this is something planned to be worked on ?

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: August 16, 2024, 07:53:41 am »

1. Prior to v50, the resulting carnage of particularly brutal fights would sometimes leave things such as a "slurry of chunky blood" or a "pile of gore" as well as other bits and pieces of creatures that weren't necessarily body parts or blood pools. Since this appears to no longer be present in the Steam release, I was wondering if their exclusion was merely due to factors such as time constraints or if they were officially out of the picture by design? Edit: I tested it out in the arena mode in 0.47 and did not encounter any of this. I could have sworn I saw this in adventure mode but maybe I’m confusing it with an earlier version. Nevermind, I have been confirmed that they did it fact exist.

2. Are you planning to have the upcoming Myth and Magic update change the "traditional story" of the game (that is, dwarves delving too deeply and greedily into cotton candy and encountering the circus)? By that I mean will it remain a consistent feature of the worlds (the consistent feature being the circus wrapped in cotton candy deep under the earth) you generate if their "Mythgen slider" is at the default setting or will that also be subject to change?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 09:12:00 pm by Urist Mchateselves »
On one hand this is right up there with mermaid farm for the most horrible thing I've ever heard, on the other hand this beats the hell out of just murdering the children for being useless liabilities like I've been doing so far.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: August 16, 2024, 02:51:44 pm »

Iirc its just so they'll have an attack trigger at all right now. Reasons and desire to attack the player fortress and how frequently aren't fully implemented yet, besides those hard triggers.

Do you know if this is something planned to be worked on ?

I mean given its basically a placeholder its almost guaranteed that its intended to be worked on, right, but when or what the plans for what full implementation looks like is a question for Toady itself.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want another.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: August 16, 2024, 03:17:36 pm »

That seems like 'army arc' stuff, which I think we'll see a smattering of after adventure mode is in a good place and Toady is working on Myth and Magic stuff in the background.

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: August 16, 2024, 11:17:53 pm »

the latest update adds support for palletized dwarf equipment, but the unit sprites are still being color coded by job type rather than using the more literal colors of the materials such as those seen in the closeup portraits. is this the ultimate design, or will unit sprites be brought to closer parity with the portraits?

im fascinated by the palletization technology in general: are palletized forgotten beasts / angels / demons considered to be a part of the initial adventure mode release, or is that for post-adventure mode?

Edit bonus question: Will we be able to see instruments that Bards are wielding?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 03:45:10 am by ryno »

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: August 17, 2024, 03:23:59 pm »

1. Prior to v50, the resulting carnage of particularly brutal fights would sometimes leave things such as a "slurry of chunky blood" or a "pile of gore" as well as other bits and pieces of creatures that weren't necessarily body parts or blood pools. Since this appears to no longer be present in the Steam release, I was wondering if their exclusion was merely due to factors such as time constraints or if they were officially out of the picture by design? Edit: I tested it out in the arena mode in 0.47 and did not encounter any of this. I could have sworn I saw this in adventure mode but maybe I’m confusing it with an earlier version. Nevermind, I have been confirmed that they did it fact exist.

2. Are you planning to have the upcoming Myth and Magic update change the "traditional story" of the game (that is, dwarves delving too deeply and greedily into cotton candy and encountering the circus)? By that I mean will it remain a consistent feature of the worlds (the consistent feature being the circus wrapped in cotton candy deep under the earth) you generate if their "Mythgen slider" is at the default setting or will that also be subject to change?

1. This was just a piece of flavor text in adventure mode, something that has yet to be ported the current version.

2. The whole point of myth and magic is to make every world distinct, the underworld and adamantine are most likely going to have world specific replacements
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 04:53:19 pm by aSpatula66 »

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: August 17, 2024, 09:48:26 pm »

the latest update adds support for palletized dwarf equipment, but the unit sprites are still being color coded by job type rather than using the more literal colors of the materials such as those seen in the closeup portraits.

Do note that there's different behaviors depending on if you load the sprites in Fortress or Adventure. The literal colors show in Adventure, while the unit colors show in Fortress. I don't know the ultimate plan graphics-wise, but that's how stuff has been handled since April. CONDITION_DYE handled all the vanilla dye colors before beta20.

Will chimeras, centaurs, and griffons be fully implemented in the future?

It's no problem to make generic versions of these creatures, they're just a sum of creature parts not too different from any other creature definition. Do note that all of them are hybrid creatures, and this represents a developmental hurdle aptly known as the "Centaur Problem". Their present nonexistence is intended as a prelude to the game being able to dynamically mash two creatures together. This would lead to all sorts of mythical animals being represented or invented, intersecting nicely with customizeable necro-experiments and other means of body manipulation.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

laserwolf07

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: August 20, 2024, 05:50:31 pm »

With myth&magic, will there be any way to cure things like curses, thralldom, etc.?
FYI, I go by Radi (pronounced like "radiation"), I've just had this forum acc for quite a while

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: August 20, 2024, 10:59:10 pm »

the latest update adds support for palletized dwarf equipment, but the unit sprites are still being color coded by job type rather than using the more literal colors of the materials such as those seen in the closeup portraits.

Do note that there's different behaviors depending on if you load the sprites in Fortress or Adventure. The literal colors show in Adventure, while the unit colors show in Fortress. I don't know the ultimate plan graphics-wise, but that's how stuff has been handled since April. CONDITION_DYE handled all the vanilla dye colors before beta20.

Will chimeras, centaurs, and griffons be fully implemented in the future?

It's no problem to make generic versions of these creatures, they're just a sum of creature parts not too different from any other creature definition. Do note that all of them are hybrid creatures, and this represents a developmental hurdle aptly known as the "Centaur Problem". Their present nonexistence is intended as a prelude to the game being able to dynamically mash two creatures together. This would lead to all sorts of mythical animals being represented or invented, intersecting nicely with customizeable necro-experiments and other means of body manipulation.

Centaur horse liver, centaur human left hand, etc. immediately comes to mind. But as nice as this sounds, however, you'd still need an individual word to call each and every possible amalgam species. And if you're rolling RNG on the names, you'd want them to sound mostly right at least some percentage of the time. And given the number of species in DF, accounting for every possible bizarre combination that could theoretically pop out, and constructing all the molds necessary to handle them, appears wearisome.   

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: August 22, 2024, 05:52:59 pm »

It's definitely a huge pain to create a chimera-like creature. I've made several. The hardest part is sorting out what tissues and materials will be used and creating a body detail plan defining where they will be used. But if all you wanted to do was create a script that slaps together "taurs" of two random species that always follow the upper torso/main body schema, that would be vastly simpler than trying to randomize which body parts and traits to choose for an output, because you've already decided on a two-step schema for what the output will be, and you can design two sets of bodies and body detail plans that are designed to be stuck together in the middle.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: August 23, 2024, 11:45:33 am »

Why has Zach stopped posting monthy announcements with you? Is it due to a business change or a private matter?
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: August 25, 2024, 11:19:16 am »

Hello, I love your game so much!
My question concerns "Intelligent Wildlife." Are there any plans in the work to make them more interactable?
Animal People are one thing (I really wish we could interact with them more, too), but creatures like Gorlaks and Satyrs being functionally no different from a badger or something feels like a huge waste. And of course the ever beloved Plump Helmet Men.

With all the talk of myths and magic, I am fearful of them being left behind.

Thank you for responding, if you can!

ps: I am aware of how certain individuals can join civilizations, but I mean the creatures as a whole. Gorlaks can speak, are creatures of Good, and are even loved by Dwarfs... Yet they can only wander about until caught in a cage or killed.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: August 27, 2024, 05:26:19 pm »

Hi!
I'm trying to figure out what other configurations of positions and responsibilities might have an interesting effect on the behaviour of the civ as a whole. I notices LAW_GIVING on the monarch and the landholder.
Does the responsibility LAW_MAKING has any effect in the behaviour of the civ? Do those nobles make any laws or rules of some kind? I know already the function of MILITARY_GOALS to some extend and suspect what RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS might do, but i'am eager to learn more!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: August 27, 2024, 07:29:55 pm »

Hi!
I'm trying to figure out what other configurations of positions and responsibilities might have an interesting effect on the behaviour of the civ as a whole. I notices LAW_GIVING on the monarch and the landholder.
Does the responsibility LAW_MAKING has any effect in the behaviour of the civ? Do those nobles make any laws or rules of some kind? I know already the function of MILITARY_GOALS to some extend and suspect what RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS might do, but i'am eager to learn more!

Law making doesn't currently do much since there aren't actual, dynamic legal systems right now. But they are considered the leader of the site they're linked to (for site-level positions) and leader of the civ if not linked to a site (and having the lowest [PRECEDENCE] value), but the site theyre in does become the de facto capital. In worldgen, if a vampire or other immortal gets into one of these positions they can make "oppressive edicts" to prevent the population from ousting them.
I make Spellcrafts!

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: August 29, 2024, 01:53:34 am »

Hi!

Law making doesn't currently do much since there aren't actual, dynamic legal systems right now. But they are considered the leader of the site they're linked to (for site-level positions) and leader of the civ if not linked to a site (and having the lowest [PRECEDENCE] value), but the site theyre in does become the de facto capital. In worldgen, if a vampire or other immortal gets into one of these positions they can make "oppressive edicts" to prevent the population from ousting them.

Alright, suspected that already a bit. Is more known about these 'edicts'? Most importantly: which moddable properties do influence this?
Also, I think that creating positions because of VARIABLE_POSITIONS / SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS is also done by the lawmaker.

But I also would like to know if the personality of that law-maker influences the descisions he makes.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400