Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3070164 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5955 on: July 18, 2024, 06:17:18 am »

As someone who is hoping that the addition of Putnam leads to some oldstanding bugs being fixed, I was wondering why "completed" bug reports do not seem to show on the bug tracker. It only shows 5 completed reports since Dez 2023. With all of the versions since then, surely more than 5 bugs have been fixed, right? So is the tracker out of date or what am I missing here?

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: July 18, 2024, 09:14:28 am »

There are a ton of bugs that are misidentified as not fixed when they are clearly fixed.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: July 19, 2024, 03:20:03 pm »

According to SteamDB, the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress has had a fake sale (increase base price of game by 50% and put it on a -34% discount, so the effective price is the same as the undiscounted price was but it looks like it's on a steep discount) three times in USD and EUR regions at least: March 13, April 8 and May 17 in 2024. This rubs me the wrong way (and is actually illegal in my neck of the woods), so I figured I'd ask: why? Is it just a mistake, and if yes, how did this mistake happen? Are you and ThreeToe even aware of this or is this all the publisher's doing?

edit: and to clarify, what I am talking about is visible in the Price History graph on the linked SteamDB page for at least the Euro and US Dollar currencies. On the above dates the graph shows the game as having been on a -34% sale at a price of $29.68 (down from the normal price of $29.99), which would make the undiscounted price at that point in time about $45 (again, the normal price is $29.99).

edit2: dug a little deeper and found an archived version of the store page that suggests the -34% sale was in fact on a bundle of DF and another game, basically a "buy DF and get this other game for free" type of deal, and SteamDB (and possibly Steam itself?) is just showing it in a misleading way. So this is likely a false alarm.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 05:16:47 pm by Burneddi »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: July 22, 2024, 01:01:20 am »

According to SteamDB, the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress has had a fake sale (increase base price of game by 50% and put it on a -34% discount, so the effective price is the same as the undiscounted price was but it looks like it's on a steep discount) three times in USD and EUR regions at least: March 13, April 8 and May 17 in 2024. This rubs me the wrong way (and is actually illegal in my neck of the woods), so I figured I'd ask: why? Is it just a mistake, and if yes, how did this mistake happen? Are you and ThreeToe even aware of this or is this all the publisher's doing?

Well, it is obvious to me that this is not at all the case. And I suspect what you are specifically referring to are the percent of sale numbers for both the złoty and the swiss frank?

Toady is as crooked and rotten as they come, but there are no "fake sales" this year. Aside from the usual freemium being given away for free.

Similar puzzling stats are observed for other games this year. And this is perhaps due to a number of regulatory changes that are being enforced now in the EU.
This has made certain numbers in steam db look a little funny.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 01:03:08 am by dikbutdagrate »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: July 22, 2024, 01:58:57 am »

Well, it is obvious to me that this is not at all the case. And I suspect what you are specifically referring to are the percent of sale numbers for both the złoty and the swiss frank?

Toady is as crooked and rotten as they come, but there are no "fake sales" this year. Aside from the usual freemium being given away for free.

Similar puzzling stats are observed for other games this year. And this is perhaps due to a number of regulatory changes that are being enforced now in the EU.
This has made certain numbers in steam db look a little funny.

Check the price history graph (set it to one year and move the vertical line to each of the three dates (note that you may need to move the line slightly.  For me the dates of interest are: March 13th, April 8th, and May 16th) and you should see a a pop-up that says that the game was on sale for $29.68 USD and that the discount was -34%.  The “normal” undiscounted price of the game is $29.99 USD.  $29.68 USD is slightly more than a 1% discount.

Still no evidence that the Adams brothers were behind it, it could just be faulty data, and it may even be completely legal in Toady One’s (and Kitfox’s) neck of the woods.  IANAL, though…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: July 22, 2024, 04:56:31 pm »

Still no evidence that the Adams brothers were behind it, it could just be faulty data, and it may even be completely legal in Toady One’s (and Kitfox’s) neck of the woods.  IANAL, though…
I dug a little deeper into it and it looks like it's just a bug (or a feature) in SteamDB. I found an archived version of the page from the time of one of these discounts, and it looks like it was actually a discount on a bundle of Dwarf Fortress + Crypt of the NecroDancer for $29.68, discounted from $44.98. SteamDB looks to have counted that as a discount on the game itself -- which it technically was, just the percentage shown on SteamDB makes no sense out of context.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: July 22, 2024, 05:25:41 pm »

I dug a little deeper into it and it looks like it's just a bug (or a feature) in SteamDB. I found an archived version of the page from the time of one of these discounts, and it looks like it was actually a discount on a bundle of Dwarf Fortress + Crypt of the NecroDancer for $29.68, discounted from $44.98. SteamDB looks to have counted that as a discount on the game itself -- which it technically was, just the percentage shown on SteamDB makes no sense out of context.

Ah, that makes sense!  Good to know Toady and Kitfox weren’t up to any shenanigans!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

rokoeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: July 25, 2024, 02:00:31 pm »

I wonder how much work would be to fix the issues with reclaiming forts?

With the adventure mode addition it would be very interesting to build a fort retire my adventurer in my fort and reclaim it. Maybe even pay a visit to the goblin civilization that is attacking my fort, eliminating its leader sacrificing my adventurer in the process (it was inevitable).

The current stockpile issues makes me hesitant to leave my fort and reclaim it later.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: July 30, 2024, 09:31:13 pm »

Making another post for this month. I'm really enjoying the adventure crafting system (on top of the wonderful v51 Adventure overhaul), as I'm working on my own mod to bring it more on-par with Fortress mode's level of industrial capability. Plenty of prior art, but having v50's selection system is a huge leg up for extensibility.

1. The default adventure reactions list "PRODUCT_TOKEN"s, even though they are optional. What was the design intent behind this? It has proved inadvertently future-proof, as I was able to select the stone axe reaction to include the handle as a decoration.

2. Are there any individual sounds planned for crafting (by skill or by specific reaction), in either mode? Would love to hear the items drop into the carpenter's workshop, then hear my dwarf or adventurer sawing away.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5964 on: August 02, 2024, 08:01:29 pm »

Quote from: Criperum
May be it's a little bit late but I'm curious. Was it an option to release classic version of the game for free on Steam and graphics+sound of premium version as paid DLC?

It was an option but then we'd need to lead with ASCII screenshots on the main DF page, which would be pretty confusing to people who heard the game got an overhaul for Steam.

Quote from: DPh Kraken
Adventurers that lead their own group can demand leaders pay homage to them. Is this a prelude to civilizations being able to generate with feudal relations?

We have the names relationship chains with the dwarven nobility already (baron etc.), and in our head the obligations are there too ha ha ha.  We just need more army stuff so that people can be called up to do things.

Quote from: Afghani84
As someone who is hoping that the addition of Putnam leads to some oldstanding bugs being fixed, I was wondering why "completed" bug reports do not seem to show on the bug tracker. It only shows 5 completed reports since Dez 2023. With all of the versions since then, surely more than 5 bugs have been fixed, right? So is the tracker out of date or what am I missing here?

aSpatula66: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8547535#msg8547535

Yeah there have been plenty more bug fixes than five, but they have come from bigger revamps etc., or from Putnam in the Discord, etc.  In the current workflow it's harder to keep it up with or use the tracker properly.  I think things will be settling down into a different pattern though, once adventure mode is out of beta.

Quote from: Burneddi
edit2: dug a little deeper and found an archived version of the store page that suggests the -34% sale was in fact on a bundle of DF and another game, basically a "buy DF and get this other game for free" type of deal, and SteamDB (and possibly Steam itself?) is just showing it in a misleading way. So this is likely a false alarm.

dikbutdagrate: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8547987#msg8547987
A_Curious_Cat: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8547993#msg8547993
Burneddi (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8548071#msg8548071
A_Curious_Cat: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8548077#msg8548077

Yeah that must be how SteamDB handles sales where games are bundled and one has a way different percentage off than the other.  The games in bundles can have different percentages.  We've never raised the price or discounted more than 20% (unless some combo pushed it to 21 or something).

Quote from: rokoeh
I wonder how much work would be to fix the issues with reclaiming forts?

With the adventure mode addition it would be very interesting to build a fort retire my adventurer in my fort and reclaim it. Maybe even pay a visit to the goblin civilization that is attacking my fort, eliminating its leader sacrificing my adventurer in the process (it was inevitable).

The current stockpile issues makes me hesitant to leave my fort and reclaim it later.

We've done a bit with scattering on unretire/reclaim since the Steam launch.  There are also a few reports of disappearing forts now?  Aside from that, I don't think the remaining issues are a ton of work.

Quote from: DPh Kraken
Making another post for this month. I'm really enjoying the adventure crafting system (on top of the wonderful v51 Adventure overhaul), as I'm working on my own mod to bring it more on-par with Fortress mode's level of industrial capability. Plenty of prior art, but having v50's selection system is a huge leg up for extensibility.

1. The default adventure reactions list "PRODUCT_TOKEN"s, even though they are optional. What was the design intent behind this? It has proved inadvertently future-proof, as I was able to select the stone axe reaction to include the handle as a decoration.

2. Are there any individual sounds planned for crafting (by skill or by specific reaction), in either mode? Would love to hear the items drop into the carpenter's workshop, then hear my dwarf or adventurer sawing away.

1. Hmmm, is product token used in either the old or new interface...  When I use lowercase token strings like that, I'm generally thinking of them as doubling for an interface display string when there's not a separate option to designate that.

2. After the addition of sounds to adventure mode, it has become necessary to revisit fort mode audio, yeah.  We'll be on that sometime around when adv mode leaves beta.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: August 09, 2024, 05:20:25 pm »

edit: n/a
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 07:25:45 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Worlder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: August 13, 2024, 04:54:57 pm »

Did you already had cool ideas that you must have turned down because of the game's limitations ?
Even if this would take forever, and assuming you want to keep the ASCII and the 2D viewport anyway, do you ever feel like, at some point, far in the distant future, the game would need or benefit some kind of full rewrite to be able to keep receiving new, interesting and significant features ?

Also, have a very nice day, and thank you so much for taking so much time to answer so many questions every now and then. Dwarf Fortress is one of Earth's best stories.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: August 14, 2024, 01:22:56 pm »

The new dwarf unit sprites are everything I've wanted to see. High fives to Tarn and the graphics team! I suppose everything will be sorted out in the coming days - missing limbs, crafts, the other races?
Some minor feedback on it - the wood melee weapons should use the "grown" sprites anyways, the macahuitl should be specifically for obsidian, and leather shields should match wood.

Since we won't be able to see their sprites flash pink anymore, will nobility in adventure mode spawn with more relevant equipment to visually distinguish them? High-quality stuff, rare dyes, crafts, proper weapons, maybe even armor for the militia, could all work even if they aren't designated as historical symbols of office.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: August 15, 2024, 05:29:58 pm »

Why do goblin civilizations and necromancer towers attack your fortress regardless of whether they are at war with you? They do not behave this way towards other sites, as far as I know. Will this be changed in the future?

Will chimeras, centaurs, and griffons be fully implemented in the future? It would be nice to have a few more generic fantasy creatures in the game.

Why are leggings [SHAPED]? This prevents them from being worn alongside greaves, which seems like something you should be able to do, considering mail shirts can be worn under breastplates.

How difficult would it be for you to implement the ability to combine stackable items into a single stack?

Why are giant cave spiders the only creatures with [AMBUSH_PREDATOR]?

Why are cave spider bites permanent? Phantom spider bites are basically the same thing but not permanent, I would think it would be the other way around given phantom spiders are only found in evil biomes.

Why are prickle berries, fisher berries, and sun berries plants with no fruits instead of being plants with fruits like strawberries are?

How big are underground regions?

Shouldn't bee stings cause a negative thought?

Why do some deep cavern creatures have ARENA_RESTRICTED? It's a little annoying that if you want to spawn those creatures in the arena that you need to remove that tag. I guess it's there to prevent spoiling the existence of those creatures but that doesn't really matter anymore since animal products from layers 2 and 3 are available on embark now.

Why is dwarven sugar the only kind of sugar in the game? Sugarcane seems like something that should exist.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 07:16:41 pm by aSpatula66 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: August 15, 2024, 09:17:14 pm »

Why do goblin civilizations and necromancer towers attack your fortress regardless of whether they are at war with you? They do not behave this way towards other sites, as far as I know. Will this be changed in the future?

Iirc its just so they'll have an attack trigger at all right now. Reasons and desire to attack the player fortress and how frequently aren't fully implemented yet, besides those hard triggers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400