Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2996758 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5910 on: June 07, 2024, 11:39:03 pm »

It might not be officially stated, but the usual state of the game is thus:
The balance of most gameplay gets changed from hard to easy for a dev cycle, then easy to hard for a dev cycle. Then the process repeats.
I don't mind the contrast, but do you balance this way intentionally?

What is the land speed of a flying ballista bolt?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: June 08, 2024, 03:01:44 pm »

What Is it specifically that allows you to play as an adventurer from any civ?

I ask not because I don't know about the raw file tags that control it, i do, but because of a bug(?) that appeared in the Museum III game a couple years ago; dwarves disappeared from the menu of races you can start an adventurer as, and had to be modified so they are outsider controllable, and a demon called "charcoal brutes" became playable from the same menu. This was weird at the time and still is, because there was still a healthy number of dwarves in the world, including two (now four, resurrected by dfhack) civs.

I'm starting to suspect the dwarven non-historical population got wiped out, and that's the cause of it. And i suspect that all of the dwarves alive in the save today (400 years after world gen ended) are members of player forts, caravan guards and merchants or adventurers, who are all historical figures, and that, for whatever reason, the game is not counting historical figures among the population that counts towards whether a race is playable. Humans, elves and goblins all have non-historical populations, you can meet them and make them historical figures in adventure mode. Hands of Planesgifts, a necromancer experiment species, also have a healthy non-historical population. Black bear men apparently also do, although I don't recall seeing it in the sites and pops file. And charcoal brutes... no idea how that happened. Maybe from the goblin civ that took over a civ that dug too deep.

But, I've been running an experiment to attempt to add new species to the list: I've been recruiting and breeding animal people from the wilds, and have a population of wolf people and wolverine people that both have had children born into the dwarven civ as naturalized citizens. I also have coyote and kea people that I expect to breed next turn. None of that has resulted in them being added to the list on the front page of the adventurer race selection screen (they're still playable as "intelligent wilderness people" though.)

Which is why I strongly suspect, that the races on the front page are dictated by non-historical civ populations, because all my creatures are fort members and thus historical figures.

But I have no way to confirm that that's how it actually works, hence asking here.

Also, did you intend to re-add the sites and pops file export to the legends mode menu along with the xml export?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: June 08, 2024, 10:12:14 pm »

(I don't understand the use of "prohibited" here)

As in, would break the client, result in undesirable gameplay, or recursively prompt the user with notices or option selection to much annoyance.

"Unfeasible" works here too.

This is an example of an undesirable constant M&M effect. (Well, for anyone else other than me)

Code: [Select]
[CONSTANT_EFFECT:SPAWN_ITEM:VERMIN:CREATURE_ID:CASTE:X:Y:ETC]
So a decanter of endless water, essentially, but instead of water, its spiders. Clearly memory does run out at some point.

edit: spiders
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 01:16:19 am by dikbutdagrate »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: June 09, 2024, 06:53:31 pm »

That would definitely be a cursed object.

I don't think you can predict what will make the client crash before you attempt to add the feature to the client, though. Infinite spiders would do it eventually, though, youre right. Item spawning would have to be happen once every x ticks or whatever anyway, that's just how the game works; on a per-tick basis
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: June 10, 2024, 02:41:46 am »

Hence why you'd want an off switch on your decanter of endless whatever. Thereby requiring a ui menu of some variety, maybe by being built into furniture. (Item type becoming a factor)

In contrast, you don't need an off switch on a blessed pick-axe that gets a momentum multiplier against creatures with [EVIL]

Which is part of why I'm asking about this.

MisterR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: June 13, 2024, 12:00:29 pm »

Do we know how the procedural Magic is going to work?
In the development page of Dwarf Fortress it states "New wizards beyond necromancers: by race, by skill, by object, by corruption, by deal with another power".
The "by skill" is what intriges me. It implies some sort of magic sistem that can be logically understood and exploited.
Would a whole magic sistem be generated at world gen or would it be abstracted so that it only generated spells that are unlocked by leveling some sort of magic skill?
We have spheres in DF, would the magic sistem pull from that?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: June 13, 2024, 12:28:47 pm »

In the development page of Dwarf Fortress it states "New wizards beyond necromancers: by race, by skill, by object, by corruption, by deal with another power".
The "by skill" is what intriges me. It implies some sort of magic sistem that can be logically understood and exploited.
Would a whole magic sistem be generated at world gen or would it be abstracted so that it only generated spells that are unlocked by leveling some sort of magic skill?

Don't forget to make your questions green!

I'm personally hoping it can all be unlocked by some sort of magical scholar (with skill or race requirements?) or deal with various powers from temples or meetings with them. Maybe after breaching hell and defeating the first hordes of demons an intelligent demon will come to offer power in exchange for letting it free on the surface, stuff like that.

Modding these things in right now (like racial powers that everybody has a chance to get but not everyone actually unlocks) requires tons of work arounds and is awkward as hell. A lot of abstract spheres you can't really make powers for yet

I have no idea what by object actually refers to. Learned from gaining access to an artifact?
I make Spellcrafts!

MisterR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: June 13, 2024, 01:37:01 pm »

I have no idea what by object actually refers to. Learned from gaining access to an artifact?

I think it's like how the "Secrets of life and death" work. Maybe you'd also need to hold on to the item in order to get the powers?

OdenCriteria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: June 13, 2024, 01:57:51 pm »

Recently, I’ve been engaged in a bit of conquest, so I thought I’d ask some military-related questions:

1. Will we be able to draw troops/squads from the populations of our outer holdings? Maybe to reinforce/assist your fortress troops when they are attacking another site?

2. Will armies in the field be able to construct camps/forts/castles?

3. Will we be able to station squads in holdings/other sites, and transfer them around?

4. Will mercenary orders be hireable? Will they be able to form/be founded in your fortress?

5. Will nobles be able to hold administrative positions in the future? My original militia commander ultimately became the duchess of my fortress, and I wanted her heir to inherit both positions. However, I found that even if I appointed the heir to militia commander before the succession, upon becoming duchess she was immediately kicked from all previously held positions. This is obviously an infringement upon her noble privileges and I won’t stand for it.

Thank you!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: June 13, 2024, 03:30:23 pm »

I would like to say : don't be overexcited by procedural Magic. Everybody i think here (and Toady, first of all) WANTS this to happen. But it will be several YEARS ahead. Dwarf Fortress is a game of endurance. I have been here for the last 12 years. And if you get too impatient you will just leave because you won't be able to endure the excruciating pain of waiting :)
But well, i'm still interested in the question. It was just a general remark :)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: June 13, 2024, 05:28:23 pm »

Brain damage causes instant death, generally, so I have my suspicions.

I know this is getting a bit off topic, but this is something that I've wondered about for a while.  I've heard anecdotes that units can survive brain injuries in DF but I've never seen it.  Is this actually possible or are these people mistaken, misremembering, or experiencing bugs?

Got a reply from them.  Not sure if it helps, any…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: June 17, 2024, 04:29:55 pm »

So i've seen from the Steam report you are moving to a new country ? I hope this is for the best ! Not really a question, just a "good trip and good installation" message :)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: June 18, 2024, 05:29:10 am »

He should use "prepare carefully"!

Otherwise he'll discover some random ropes and stepladders when he arrives, and be like, why is this here?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: June 18, 2024, 09:52:18 pm »

So i've seen from the Steam report you are moving to a new country ? I hope this is for the best ! Not really a question, just a "good trip and good installation" message :)

I'm not sure an isolated oil rig out in the middle of the pacific qualifies as a "country."
But the Shadow Toad A.I. construct should keep things together until our god emperor's return, or at least until the micronation runs out of funds, or collapses into the sea.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 02:09:16 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: June 19, 2024, 12:29:12 pm »

I would think he's moving to either Canada or Europe. You know, for healthcare reasons.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396