Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Raiding - call for !SCIENCE!  (Read 3003 times)

wachag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Raiding - call for !SCIENCE!
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:50:22 am »

In the next release razing, pillaging, etc. will be enabled. This will open the possibilities for new scientific research: what happens when a retired fortress is raided? How will it look like after unretiring it?
How does it look like now?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raiding - call for !SCIENCE!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:01 am »

In the next release razing, pillaging, etc. will be enabled. This will open the possibilities for new scientific research: what happens when a retired fortress is raided? How will it look like after unretiring it?
How does it look like now?
A razed retired fortress will look exactly the same as a razed retired fortress looks nowadays. The only difference is that you're the one doing the razing.
A partially destroyed fortress might be interesting to see though. Not sure what a destroyed player tavern or library would look like.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:00:54 am »

I'm more wondering if a fort can sustain it's self by just raiding.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:05:47 pm »

I'm more wondering if a fort can sustain it's self by just raiding.
Depends how exact you can be in telling dorfs what you steal. Seems to be only 'livestock' that you can specify in the upcoming update, so probably not.

When you can order dorfs to steal wood, metal bars, stone blocks, etc, then yeah, you could probably survive anywhere just with fighting dorfs as the starting 7. Toady mentioned something like that in fotf a while back. Not so important right now though with food, stone and wood being pretty easy to come by. But in the future with an economy, ambushed caravans, magma producing aquifers (?) and whatever else it could be fun to scratch a living as bandits without a pick.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:17:59 pm »

Somehow I doubt that player-made forts will change in any way after razing when it comes to looks.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:44:06 am »

What of your squad pillages a necromancer tower? Will tgey steal undead cows?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:56:57 am »

Necromancer towers don't have any livestock populations, so no.

Come to think of it, they might steal normal undead.... we'll have to see  ;D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 03:58:23 am »

Amusing as it could be, undead cows as tower pets isn't in yet. One for Mythgen I guess.  Wizards who collect cows (for their own evil ways).

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:02:03 pm »

I dont see why a fort shouldn't be able to sustain itself my raiding, after all, one butchered animal gives a lot of meat.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 04:23:07 pm »

I dont see why a fort shouldn't be able to sustain itself my raiding, after all, one butchered animal gives a lot of meat.
Dorfs gotta drink too. A more detailed raiding menu (which it looks like we might get after a few more updates) would be needed to sustain a fortress entirely through raiding.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:00 pm »

Dorfs gotta drink too. A more detailed raiding menu (which it looks like we might get after a few more updates) would be needed to sustain a fortress entirely through raiding.
Well, I mean, if you embark in a region with ponds it'll be pretty feasible.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:32:51 pm »

I wonder whether we'll ever be able to conquer a site, not just wipe it out.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 10:06:19 pm »

I wonder whether we'll ever be able to conquer a site, not just wipe it out.
Suggest you look at the new dev notes. Notably the part about "Taking over sites and administrators" that's coming up during this cycle (or at least one of the things that is up for inclusion, depends how much gets done).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:08:05 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:53:47 am »

If I accept a petitioner whose spouse is imprisoned as a result of a failed raid (by someone else), would I get an option to make a raid to release said spouse and have the spouse join my fortress (or at least a chance to bring that prisoner back from a "normal" raid, with the same join fortress option)?
My fortress is quite a fair bit away from being in a shape where raids can be attempted largely due to an onslaught of infiltrators and goblin invasions (with the impact in that order), so any investigation on my part would be a fair bit into the future.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 03:54:11 am »

If I accept a petitioner whose spouse is imprisoned as a result of a failed raid (by someone else), would I get an option to make a raid to release said spouse and have the spouse join my fortress (or at least a chance to bring that prisoner back from a "normal" raid, with the same join fortress option)?
My fortress is quite a fair bit away from being in a shape where raids can be attempted largely due to an onslaught of infiltrators and goblin invasions (with the impact in that order), so any investigation on my part would be a fair bit into the future.
Raiders seem to rescue random imprisoned people on general raids, so you could try that. That's how Toady explained it as working (which is what the Petition for Sanctuary mechanic is supposed to be for).
Pages: [1] 2